Tesla (TSLA) pays $6 million to settle Solar Roof class action lawsuit

Wouldn't they know that happens regularly.
Seems ludicrous to me that they knew nothing about their job.
Besides stripping a roof down to trusses, resheathing and shingling it, doesn't cost $40,000 on a house, not even a large house.
Depends on the roof configuration and the size. Remember this is a tech company doing construction work probably using subs in an extremely tight labor market. I would not be surprised that they bungled this initially. Elon suggested such in the article. Of course as I've said the specifics will remain unknown so people are free to make things out to be worse than it was or less so.

Depends on the roof configuration and the size. Remember this is a tech company doing construction work probably using subs in an extremely tight labor market. I would not be surprised that they bungled this initially. Elon suggested such in the article. Of course as I've said the specifics will remain unknown so people are free to make things out to be worse than it was or less so.
Elon musk should be in Federal Prison. If you " bungled this ip" this bad you'd be out of business. Don't stand up for an absolute moron. If Tesla wants to survive they need to boot him asap. Why the Musketeers defend him is crazy. They remind me of Heavens Gate, they all wore matching Nike shoes, and they all took Cyanide. Marshall Applewhite promised alot.

Elon musk should be in Federal Prison. If you " bungled this ip" this bad you'd be out of business. Don't stand up for an absolute moron. If Tesla wants to survive they need to boot him asap. Why the Musketeers defend him is crazy. They remind me of Heavens Gate, they all wore matching Nike shoes, and they all took Cyanide. Marshall Applewhite promised alot.

Absolutely dead on!

Musk is a lot like a train wreck.
You don't want to look, because you know its bad...but then just can't look away.

If I had a lemonade stand, there is no way that I would let musk run it.
He would probably water it down 20 times too much, ask $100 per glass, and then wonder why nobody is buying.

Terrible business practices are terrible business practices no matter who's charge of the company, though this guy does know a thing or two about terrible business practices.

My neighbor here in WV had solar panels installed a couple of years ago. I thought it was pretty dumb. First it’s WV, not a very sunny state. Second we are in a hollow with big hills on both sides. They told her she would get paid by the power company. It doesn’t work that way with our power co. She never really talk about it. This year she had a new roof put on. They had to remove the panels. She called another company to put the panels back on. They told her that the System had not been connected correctly and that her system was doing nothing.
She told me today that now that her system is working properly, her last two bills have been $5 which is the minimum charge. It has been really sunny and dry this summer which is a bit unusual.

Unfortunately fines don't dissuade companies. Jail time and stop sales of their products usually do. Let's face it, if this were any other company the Musketeers would be out in full force with pitchforks and torches.
It’s just the cost of doing business.

Businesses do that from time to time. They wont' make good until forced to make good. That could be what we're seeing here. A nice hefty fine would have been nice too, but............ ;)
Volkswagon got hefty fines for 'dieselgate' and according to what I read on this forum this week they may have cheapened their rear brakes to recover costs. In other words...the public end up paying the fines anyway. By the way....remember Solyndra?...at least Musk didn't take taxpayer money and go bellyup stiffing us.

Volkswagon got hefty fines for 'dieselgate' and according to what I read on this forum this week they may have cheapened their rear brakes to recover costs. In other words...the public end up paying the fines anyway. By the way....remember Solyndra?...at least Musk didn't take taxpayer money and go bellyup stiffing us.
There has to be something to discourage the behavior. I'll refrain from commenting about Musk and taxpayer money.

Businesses do that from time to time. They wont' make good until forced to make good. That could be what we're seeing here. A nice hefty fine would have been nice too, but............ ;)
Can we see less fines that disappear into the morass of public office, and maybe some hard time for EVERY business officer that went along with said policies? Even toss in some minimum time requirements. Jumpsuits are the only way to get the attention of people with 7 or more zeroes after their names.

There has to be something to discourage the behavior. I'll refrain from commenting about Musk and taxpayer money.
There does 'have to be something' and there is...it's called 'the law'...but as we see...the law isn't always applied equally...especially to bigwigs. I don't want to see anybody prosecuted (or persecuted) for their political beliefs just as I don't want to see anybody rewarded or get away with crime for that reason either. It will be interesting to see if SBF gets the sentence he deserves for his enormous crimes or will his 'donations' buy him a soft punishment...we shall see.

Last edited:
Yeah if it weren't for Californias inexcusable "carbon offset " scheme and thats being nice Tesla wouldn't be here. I seem to recall they've been handed over $7 Billion "just because ".

There does 'have to be something' and there is...it's called 'the law'...but as we see...the law isn't always applied equally...especially to bigwigs. I don't want to see anybody prosecuted (or persecuted) for their political beliefs just as I don't want to see anybody rewarded or get away with crime for that reason either. It will be interesting to see if SBF gets the sentence he deserves for his enormous crimes or will his 'donations' buy him a soft punishment...we shall see.
Lately it seems the law only works in some instances, and there are people who are clearly above the law. SBF might be another person above the law, we'll know soon enough.

The two things can be true...

-Musk is a train wreck
-TESLA constantly receives shade here

Curious why Tesla would ever put their brand on something like this. I guess Musk learned to create another company now.
Musk already said last week that the Cybertruck put five other projects on hold, and has cost Tesla alot of money.

Feeling cheated is not the same as being cheated. Like I said, the attorney probably got Tesla on a technicality in California law and Tesla figured the juice wasn't worth the squeeze to fight it.

Remember the issue isn't over defective product but higher than expected installation costs. Like Tesla is to blame because the homeowner has rotting roof decking hidden underneath two layers of shingles.
That’s what left me scratching my head on this…

When I had my first split ductless installed (I ended up doing it diy because of this) the HVAC thieves wanted thousands for labor to put a hole through a wall in a stick built balloon frame house. “We don’t know what we will encounter” was the justification to charge excessively. I offered to take them to the basement and look up the wall with a borescope, of course they made more lame excuses.

And they were using it to justify an excessive fixed price install.

Now imagine the other way - here Tesla is installing a new complex electrical system with a milllion unknowns. They estimated a price and then encountered more challenges with install (ok some level of fault with the estimator, sure). Of course the price would go up.

Last edited:
Back