ROKU users: how do you like it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Originally Posted By: GrtArtiste
If I was to consider a Roku, I'd like to know before buying one how much the pay-services actually cost. For example...Watch ESPN...CBS...CBS Sports...ABC...FOX Sports...NFL. If this info is on the Roku site, I haven't found it yet. Also, is there a recommended minimum Internet speed? I currently have 12 MB DSL and can stream Hulu/Youtube thru a Samsung BR player...but does Roku require more?

Look at it this way, Roku is an internet receiver, HUNDREDS of movies and shows at no cost. Like anything in life, you have the option to "purchase" more channels, more content that pay providers will sell you and charge for. The Roku is no different then your BR player except everything is together in a nice tidy endless package of content with almost all of it free. Roku has fast become the standard of all streaming devices and the device ANY content provider wants to be on both pay and free.

As far as your 12 MB DSL service? Its plenty of speed to use and receive anything you want.

I was sorta hopin' that someone would chime in and say "I spend X dollars a month for ESPN, Y dollars for CBS...and so on. I guess that's too much to hope for. I just wanted an indicator...not gospel.

If I was to consider a Roku, I'd like to know before buying one how much the pay-services actually cost. For example...Watch ESPN...CBS...CBS Sports...ABC...FOX Sports...NFL. If this info is on the Roku site, I haven't found it yet. Also, is there a recommended minimum Internet speed? I currently have 12 MB DSL and can stream Hulu/Youtube thru a Samsung BR player...but does Roku require more?

Look at it this way, Roku is an internet receiver, HUNDREDS of movies and shows at no cost. Like anything in life, you have the option to "purchase" more channels, more content that pay providers will sell you and charge for. The Roku is no different then your BR player except everything is together in a nice tidy endless package of content with almost all of it free. Roku has fast become the standard of all streaming devices and the device ANY content provider wants to be on both pay and free.

As far as your 12 MB DSL service? Its plenty of speed to use and receive anything you want.

I was sorta hopin' that someone would chime in and say "I spend X dollars a month for ESPN, Y dollars for CBS...and so on. I guess that's too much to hope for. I just wanted an indicator...not gospel.

I don't think there is a standalone espn subscription option, yet. It comes included as part of the $20 Sling TV subscription, for example.

Ummm .. Quattro is right, you want ESPN? $20 a month for Sling.

You want CBS, NBC and so on? Get cable TV or Satellite OR put a TV antenna up. You cant possibly expect someone to quote a price for the one or two dozen channels you want when there are hundreds of channel out there. The only safe way then is to pay for them all.

For me personally,,,
I PAY $18.00 A MONTH FOR NETFLEX STREAMING AND HULU PLUS USING OUR ROKU PLAYER.
I get NBC, ABC, CBS and FOX in full 1080p HD for free using an antenna in my attic distributed throughout 5 TVs in my home, again, no cost.
My monthly total cost is $18.00. Hope that answers your question.

If I wanted ESPN, I would then, through my Roku player subscribe to Sling TV for $20 a month. But I wont subscribe, I will watch sports on major TV networks and not pay money to watch overpaid players and their teams and owners play a ballgame :eek:) *L*

Sometimes the people need a Gospel to understand these threads as this has been discussed over and over.

Last edited:

I can watch anything through Chromecast,just cast the TV show from your PC to your TV.

It's a $35.00 one time purchase.

Roku is good,but if you look around,there are even better streaming devices out there.

I get WatchESPN, FoxSportsGo and probably others with my cable subscription. I just log into my cable account and watch those through my Roku.

I've pretty much tried them all. We like the Roku best. We have one on each TV, and use them regularly. Since someone asked about total cost, here is ours:

Cable + internet: $80. This is basic Comcast in our area plus an additional receiver (+$10), plus an extra $10 to make them both HD. Internet only is about $55, but we're west of the mountains, so we don't get any signal OTA and we need basic cable to receive local networks.

Netflix: $10

Hulu: $13 (my wife likes the no commericals version)

Sling: $20 (though we keep this only during college football season, for ESPN, and drop it after January)

Monthly total: $123 for 5 months of the year, $103 for 7 months of the year

Adding it all up, it's nearing the cost of a more comprehensive cable or satellite package. It offers us a lot more flexibility, though, because about the only thing we watch live is sports. Everything else is watched on demand, without watching commercials. So even though our cost is approaching a more traditional package, our use case is very different.

We used to pay only about $80 total when we lived in North Carolina, but we bought Internet only and had a massive antenna up in the attic because we were only 50 miles from Raleigh with no mountains in between.

Originally Posted By: RazorsEdge
I can watch anything through Chromecast,just cast the TV show from your PC to your TV.

But to watch/cast ESPN on your PC, you still a subscription to something.

Quote:
It's a $35.00 one time purchase.

Roku is good,but if you look around,there are even better streaming devices out there.

Maybe, but Chromecast isn't one of them, IMO. I've got several of them, and I prefer Roku, hands down.

I can watch anything from football,to UFC fights to WWE wrestling if I want to,all for $0.00 using Chromecast.

You find a streaming link online,then cast to your TV using Chromecast,I do not need any subscriptions to anything,period!
I've used this for years,never missed a football game or any other program.

All we use: Netflix,HuluPlus and Chromecast.

Second,like I said before,if you look around online,there are better streaming devices out there,and I'm not talking about Chromecast vs Roku.

RazorsEdge: the chrome cast sounds interesting, thanks
smile.gif

I still have 4 family members(households) with cable.

They allow per account 5 logins to online services

That is how I get my watchespn and foxsportsgo

It costs them nothing they dont use it... and I have them over for a steak dinner etc.

I just put up the clearsteam 4v today.. I get 88 channels.. which means about 10 I actually would watch something on.

The Tablo OTA DVR will go up after Christmas.

I can watch anything from football,to UFC fights to WWE wrestling if I want to,all for $0.00 using Chromecast.

You find a streaming link online,then cast to your TV using Chromecast,I do not need any subscriptions to anything,period!

How about legally?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

How about legally?

Legally,You can do any streaming with Chromcast or any streaming device you want.there are literally hundreds of devices out there on the market.

I'll pm you a link to a streaming device that I'll personally be picking up here soon.

I'll pm you a link to a streaming device that I'll personally be picking up here soon.

Why the veiled secrecy? If it's a legit device, please share!
wink.gif

How about legally?

Legally,You can do any streaming with Chromcast or any streaming device you want.there are literally hundreds of devices out there on the market.

So you are streaming stolen content? Why would you admit to that?

Originally Posted By: Nate1979

How about legally?

So you are streaming stolen content? Why would you admit to that?

ROFL! Anyone can stream internet content! You are so clueless it's not even funny!
For the record you can stream anything on any device,OMG,you people crack me up! Look up Chromecast,learn about it,because it's obvious you know nothing about it.

Secondly,you can stream any content online,downloading is illegal,learn before you judge.

Third,this is the device I'll be picking up in the near future,nothing illegal folks.

https://www.skystreamx.com/

You can stream with so many devices.You can find them online,and it's as simple as shopping on Amazon.

I'm finished with this topic.

Second,like I said before,if you look around online,there are better streaming devices out there,and I'm not talking about Chromecast vs Roku.

HEY ALL!
You are ALL misinterpreting this guys post!
Man .. *L*
YOU CAN STREAM ANYTHING IS TRUE!

WHAT YOU ALL ARE MISSING IS, since this thread was speaking about SLING, dont think for a minute you are going to STREAM FREE Prime ESPN events live and why, to the people who want ESPN, you will pay for Sling.

ESPN has a lot of FREE streams, but again like EVERYONE, they have PRIME paid subscription content too, dont think for a moment you are going to stream their "pay" prime content for free.
Its really simple, all paid services offer free content, then they have the premium subscription content.

Last edited:
Used the Roku to stream The Grand Tour last night. I watched the first episode on my Alienware laptop and second on my TV. The image with the Roku was amazing, no lag at all.

HEY ALL!
You are ALL misinterpreting this guys post!
Man .. *L*
YOU CAN STREAM ANYTHING IS TRUE!

WHAT YOU ALL ARE MISSING IS, since this thread was speaking about SLING, dont think for a minute you are going to STREAM FREE Prime ESPN events live and why, to the people who want ESPN, you will pay for Sling.

ESPN has a lot of FREE streams, but again like EVERYONE, they have PRIME paid subscription content too, dont think for a moment you are going to stream their "pay" prime content for free.
Its really simple, all paid services offer free content, then they have the premium subscription content.

Correct. My cable subscription still has several months to go and I can attest to this. My program package includes ESPN and ESPN2 but not ESPNU or ESPN News. On Roku I can only watch the channels I'm subscribed to (and ESPN3 which is online only). It's really aggravating when my team is scheduled to be on ESPN and the game gets bumped to ESPNU and I then can't watch it (by cable or ESPN app).

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Used the Roku to stream The Grand Tour last night. I watched the first episode on my Alienware laptop and second on my TV. The image with the Roku was amazing, no lag at all.

That is so cool to hear. The timing ironic too, here is why.
We have had Roku for years, actually at any given time 3 to 4 of them. Some are getting a little on in age now, but still work perfectly, yet as we know, every passing year, processors get faster, electronics get newer.
Well our college age daughter got herself a job and her own home, took one of the Roku with her, which she still uses.
Anyway, we just bought a brand new "old" Roku 3 since our daughter still has one of the ones from our house.

There are still some out there. This new Roku 3 is an updated version of one of our older Roku 3's. Anyway, pleasantly surprised at the increased speed etc and I am not sure, this could just be in my head but darn the picture looks awesome on our 60 inch plasma with the newer player but I think that is just in my mind, its always been awesome, the processor is faster for sure.

We now have 4 Roku in our house of all different ages, going back years and my daughter has 1 with her. 5 players on our account, never had one fail. No wonder they are taking over the market, good for them.

I like to see American companies succeed.

Last edited:
Use my Roku pretty much everyday. What some people are buying is a Firestick with Kodi installed. Ebay has loads of them for around $60. Kodi pulls in live streams. The problem I found with it was the quality. Even with very high speed internet a lot of the streams are hard to watch.

Besides my OTA antenna and my Roku provide more TV than I could or should be watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back