Anyone here use Amazon fire stick?

Have been for years.
It's great. Except YouTube and the increasing commercials although nothing to do with the stick.
I dumped cable and went to the stick.

Good to hear Jim. After ROKU screwed my sound on my 3 year old SOMY tv; I was fed up. From reading some Rokus jist don’t like certain tvs. Anyhow, the fire stick is amazing. I haven’t had cable since 07’ myself.

If your new to it, takes time to see what it all has to offer . You can download so many free apps that I don't subscribe to anything...
I had to get a bigger SD card for my nearly 20 year old 55" TV though.
( hate to toss it because it works great) I still find new programs all the time.

I had tons of apps and ran out of room with the old card. Have fun 👍

We've used one for several years. We like it; only problem is the second one (a newer model) often loses volume (or the TV does) after it goes to sleep, so it requires a restart. A mild inconvenience; I might try Roku next time just to see how it compares. I do jailbreak my Fire Tablets, but saw no need to do so for the firestick, but its nice to know that it can be done.

The fire stick is a good way to add modern computing and capability to older TVs. We have had one for a while.

Watching tv is a waste of time though. And most stuff isn’t free, you need to buy it one way or another.

We've used one for several years. We like it; only problem is the second one (a newer model) often loses volume (or the TV does) after it goes to sleep, so it requires a restart. A mild inconvenience; I might try Roku next time just to see how it compares. I do jailbreak my Fire Tablets, but saw no need to do so for the firestick, but its nice to know that it can be done.
You can add Roku via the firestick- Prime app as I'm sure you know. On vacation I used a Roku TV and found it very limited.

The fire stick is a good way to add modern computing and capability to older TVs. We have had one for a while.

Watching tv is a waste of time though. And most stuff isn’t free, you need to buy it one way or another.
I felt the same way but I never pay as I have found you can find many of the same shows free. Like TCM on YouTube gives you many movies others charge for. Or going to the internet on your firestick can do the same. I actually found many movies on foreign sites for free etc.

Like the small Awesome movie app gives you some premium movies for free etc. But sometimes you run into that nonsense where you have to prove you have cable...

Ya it's fine. They tend to get finicky after a couple of years of use. Kinda like a smartphone where the updated apps no longer work as well on an older OS.

That's all we have for TV. We had 3 roku's stop working in less than a year. Had the fire stick a couple of years now. Also you can't or couldn't buy a replacement remote for a Roku if you lose or break yours

I've had 4 ROKU devices for 4 - 9 years and they still work like new. Replacement remotes are cheap and plentiful now.

1709573857934.jpg

I view the difference between Roku streaming devices and Firesticks the same as I view Android vs. Iphones or Windows vs. iOS. Each has its strengths and weaknesses, so it comes down to a matter of personal preference and comfort level.

That premium is expensive for what it is. Not being cheap but I tried several paid services and I got bored with them...lol

What's YT premium like $70 a month?
YouTube TV subscriptions are $72.99/mo. and includes over 100 channels of cable-TV programming similar to Comcast, FiOS, Cox Cable, etc. The YouTube Premium subscription is $13.99/mo. which essentially eliminates commercials from the regular (free) YouTube online content (e.g., music videos, podcasts, etc.).

I've had both Roku and Fire TV Stick for years. I still prefer the simplicity of Roku. Haven't used my Firestick in a while, but I recall too much clutter there and too much pushing of Amazon/Prime content every step of the way which I did not care for.

I did some jailbreaking on the Firestick when I first got it, but things kept getting broken whenever Amazon would update the Firestick software. I eventually gave up on it.

I've had roku and fire sticks. Neither hold a candle to the Apple TV device. If you have apple products, they're worth the extra money and last forever. User interface is so much quicker and snappier than any roku or firestick, even when using the ultra or max versions. I have a roku from 2018 and using it is almost unbareable when compared to the apple TV.

That said, there is nothing wrong with the roku or firestick they both do their jobs very well. Draw back on both is the amount of ads.

Back