Anyone here use Amazon fire stick?

Fire sticks will be going away with Android OS and getting a proprietary OS, bad news, get your stick now.
I got one when my 2y.o. IPTV box died. Using Sofabaton remote that is programmable and controls a few devices, it's both Bluetooth and IR.

Have had one for years, which we used with our old big screen.
Even after we replaced that set, I still continue to use it because it is less clunky and is faster to use than the smart interface on the TV.

That premium is expensive for what it is. Not being cheap but I tried several paid services and I got bored with them...lol

What's YT premium like $70 a month?
$12.99. It has gone up.
Edit: I'm paying 12.99 Canadian, which is like $8 American. Probably they don't raise the price as quickly for existing customers.

All amazon products are bloated trash imo (fire tablets, fire sticks, echo's, etc.) All ruined with all the amazon bloat. I'll take a roku or google TV box any day over any amazon media device. Just avoid the no name Android TV boxes on amazon, they are often infected with malware.

Last edited:
It was 11.99 USD but now $13.99
I like downloading so I can play without network connection and play stuff in the background with screen off. But if they raise the price more than a couple $ above what it is now I will quit.

I have one on my garage TV so I can watch some streaming or youtube out where while working. It works pretty well. I think if we ever cancel our prime subscription, it will stop working.

Me personally I prefer Roku, but Firestick/FireTV makes sense for people who are long term Amazon users and use Amazon devices.

Been using Amazon Fire Sticks for the last decade plus. Have multiple 4K fire sticks for home. Adam, watch you tube videos on how to jail break them --- easy peasy. I bought a Amazon cube years ago and I believe it was a waste of money. I stream almost anything & everything thru the Firestick. Have an antenna on the roof to get local channels. HUGE relief not having that monthly cable bill.

I have 3 fire sticks that are almost unusable because they are so slow and buggy. They are probably 6 years or older but have been slow for the last few years. The two rokus I had in 2012 were buggy junk that locked up a lot then the app support went away. Used blu-ray players for awhile after the first rokus till the app support of them went away also. Got one of the Roku 4k sticks a couple of years ago and it works great. The bad part about them is that they are flimsy when stuck out of old tvs that had the HDMI ports sticking straight out the back and the wifi module is in the cord. Have a Roku express 4k+ that also works very well and the old ir remote from the first rokus still work on it.

The Roku app also works well as a remote. Controlling a fire stick from an echo was garbage. The Roku menu is far better and doesn't have those annoying adds that try to auto play (I know you can shut off the auto play but that wasn't easy when they started doing it). THe best thing about the fire stick was when they started giving you the little HDMI extender so it didn't break the HDMI end on the stick like our first one did. I use them now on the Roku stick so it doesn't break more.

The TVs in my TT and 5th wheel are all 'dumb' flatscreens. Using Firesticks smartens them up until they die and/or replaced.

I’ve used them before at others houses. The layout is a bit confusing for me but seemed to work well. Personally I like Apple TV or Roku better for the simplicity of the interface. I have Roku in my room. My parents still have cable in the living room.

I’ve used them before at others houses. The layout is a bit confusing for me but seemed to work well. Personally I like Apple TV or Roku better for the simplicity of the interface. I have Roku in my room. My parents still have cable in the living room.
I bet you're afraid to talk to Alexa over the firestick...😒 🤔

Back