Road to 0W20 Oil and Beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember back 20yrs ago when we all (myself included) thought that the automotive industry was coming to an end when they brought on 0W20 oil. Today many Owners Manuals list 0W20 as the only "recommended" grade...some are now recommending 0W16!

Interesting progression,

45258321-EB16-4B15-8643-F70C21E23BDE.jpeg

Originally Posted by Tjbouwhu
Interesting progression,

Interesting!

Funny how the SI went from 5w-30 to 5w-20 to 5w-30 to finally 0w-20.

I remember when Hondas first came out with 5W-20 as the standard oil choice, some Honda owners were debating whether or not to use 0W-20, which back then was pretty much just Mobil 1 or Honda's OEM oil that was probably just relabelled Mobil 1. It was only specified back then for the Insight and the Civic Hybrid in order to boost the fuel economy.

Honda did have issues with 5W-20 oils slugging in their early VCM V6s. From what I've heard in discussions, few of those issues were seen when something like a 0W-20 oil was used or maybe Mobil 1 (or similar) 5W-20s.

I'm not a real big 0w-20 fan but I did pick up some 0w-20 on sale at Walmart for $14 a jug it will more than likely be used in my OCI in Oct/Nov next fall. Oh did I say I got my first Suxxszoil rebate on this oil after being rejected for 2 bogus reasons.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
I'm not a real big 0w-20 fan but I did pick up some 0w-20 on sale

I buy it only on sale to blend with all the 20W-50 I got on sale
lol.gif
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
I'm not a real big 0w-20 fan but I did pick up some 0w-20 on sale

I buy it only on sale to blend with all the 20W-50 I got on sale
lol.gif
grin2.gif

Proving that having something -- anything -- even remotely resembling the recommended lube, between the moving parts, is probably 3/4ths of the battle won. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back