Oil recommendation for a 2022 Suzuki Jimny (1.5L gasoline)

Hi everybody,

I, a French fella, come here today to finally receive some definitive answers from people more knowledgeable than me when it comes to oils, sorry this is going to be a bit long but I’m really lost right now..

I’m the owner of a 2022 Suzuki Jimny (Petrol), it has a 1.5L 4-cylinders naturally aspired engine (102hp) and it is a timing chain engine, if that can already give you an idea of what’s best for it. My car has reached 10k kms so I’m looking for the best oil to buy to perform its very first oil change, but that’s where my questioning start…

The owner manual has a lot of different recommendations, the one described as the best one being a 0W16 oil. Now from what I understand about oils, I tend to believe that recently those very low grades have something to do with fuel efficiency, sacrificing sometimes engine protection from wear and overheat, on some French forums I’ve had two different side, people claiming to strictly stick to the manual recommended oil (0W16 / 0W20) and others claiming that the best thing you can put in an engine is a 0W40 because it has good cold start and a good protection during intensive and prolonged use (like highway), for reference this vehicle can do quite a lot of nonstop highway (2-3 hours) and we have temperatures here going from about -6°c during winter to 40°c during summer.

oil manual 1-2.jpg

oil manual 2-2.jpg

(sorry for the french manual but at least the oil viscosity and quality are universals)

Well from what I can tell the image from the manual does go from 0W to W40 so I thought that the 0W40 could be a great thing (combining the best of two worlds) even if it’s not explicitly said (I don’t care at all about fuel economy I just want what’s best for my engine on the long run), but then I used the Mobil 1 oil selector and it redirected me to an 0W30 ESP-LV.

Because (and that’s the other interrogation I have), I have no idea if my car is equipped with a gasoline particulate filter and apparently the Mobil 1 FS 0W40 we see quite often is not suitable for cars with that kind of pollution system, hence why I looked for another 0W40 still from Mobil 1 and that’d be the ESP-X3 0W40. Although I’m really not certain to have this GPF, otherwise wouldn’t the manual give the ACEA C(1-2-3-4) recommendation instead if that was the case?

Now I really don’t know what to pick, the 0W30 does have more certifications on its datasheet (I mean, that match the manual recommendation) but the 0W40 has the API SN plus on the other hand, do you think having one of the recommended certifications is enough?

Here's the link to the 0W30: https://www.mobil.fr/fr-fr/products-industrial/mobil-1-esp-lv-0w-30
And here's the one for the 0W40 : https://www.mobil.fr/fr-fr/products-industrial/mobil-1-esp-x3-0w-40

I feel like it's best if you just download the product datasheet yourself instead of me sending multiple screenshots.

So as you can tell, I have a lot of different interrogations regarding this choice (I’m most likely overthinking it too) but I wanted to have some advices from your forum that helped me back in the days with my Miata. Thank you all in advance!

Welcome! Overthinking is what we do here. (y)

As you can probably tell by your owner's manual, there are a range of viscosities you can run. Ideally you want to run the lightest viscosity you can without sacrificing wear protection. It's very hard to know what viscosity is most ideal without doing extensive engine testing. Most engines can technically run on multiple viscosity grades without issue. The lighter viscosity the great fuel economy. The modern 0w20's and 0w16's have shown to be adequate for most driving conditions.

In your climate, I think a 0w20/5w30 would be ideal. But again, you could also run a 0w30 without issue. If you're driving very fast on the highway, I'd most likely use a 20 or 30/40 grade oil.

Thank you for your answers, I'm glad to see that my vehicle isn't truly restricted to just a few choices! As for my driving habit on the highway, I wouldn't consider it to be slow, I'm practically always around 4,5/5k RPM (that's what not being able to go past 5th gear does ahah) so this is probably where my engine will be the most solicited.

I guess a 0W30 should be fine given the fact that even if it's still a small engine, the car is quite lightweight with barely 1090kg on the scale, but the again I sadly have no idea to know my oil temperature with the available dashboard instruments.

A 40 grade feels really "overkill" to most of you for my situation?

Any modern, quality oil will work well. I see that the manual lists some quite old and obsolete oil specifications as acceptable, so I would not worry about it too much as current oils will be better than those.

How fast do you intend on going on the motorways? How cold/hot does it get in your part of France? Suzuki recommends 0-16 as a “universal” oil and likely enough, it will work. 0W-20 would be a better compromise. Consider 5W-30 or thicker from the UAE/Israeli recommendations if you do more highway than city driving or go on long road trips.

Seems like Suzuki is following the standard Japanese advice sans the EPA/CAFE wording. However, Japanese cars see similar use cycles as American cars, and traffic doesn’t move on Japanese roads like it does on European roadways between the cities.

How fast do you intend on going on the motorways? How cold/hot does it get in your part of France? Suzuki recommends 0-16 as a “universal” oil and likely enough, it will work. 0W-20 would be a better compromise. Consider 5W-30 or thicker from the UAE/Israeli recommendations if you do more highway than city driving or go on long road trips.

Seems like Suzuki is following the standard Japanese advice sans the EPA/CAFE wording. However, Japanese cars see similar use cycles as American cars, and traffic doesn’t move on Japanese roads like it does on European roadways between the cities.
On the highway around 150km/h with the regulator on, when I use this car it's mostly for a big portion of highway and then sinuous mountain roads.

As for the range of temperatures we get here in south of France, during winter it can go -6ºC in the morning to +10/15ºc during the day, during summer it's mostly 23-25ºc already in the morning and can easily hit 45ºc under the sun (we're usually being told 38º under shelter), sorry I don't have the conversion in my head for Fahrenheits.

Yeah compared to Japanese and American traffic we do hit a higher average speed I guess.

I can't think of any SN dual rated 15w40 HDEO sold in Europe, our 15w40 HDEOs still are mostly API SL and CI-4.

There's plenty about if you look hard enough. Not really 'off-the-shelf' though.

I've got about 20 litres of Mobil Delvac 1 MX ESP 15w40 here which is dual rated and carries API SN.

I didn't remember that one, you're right.
Still, i'm not sure a 15w40 HDEO would be my first choice if i wanted a full saps oil for that engine, a 5w30 a3/b4 oil would be enough for that engine no matter how hard it's driven.

I don't disagree at all!

In fact, I don't think there's a PCMO in Europe you could buy off the shelf that wouldn't be perfectly acceptable in that Jimny.

Well glad to see this engine isn't particularly strict towards oil viscosity, I think I'll head for a 0W30 for the best compromise, after all I think the way I drive this car is more demanding for the engine than the average driver, hence why I shouldn't stick to W16/20 in my situation.

Again thank you everyone for your opinions on the subject!

On the highway around 150km/h with the regulator on, when I use this car it's mostly for a big portion of highway and then sinuous mountain roads.

As for the range of temperatures we get here in south of France, during winter it can go -6ºC in the morning to +10/15ºc during the day, during summer it's mostly 23-25ºc already in the morning and can easily hit 45ºc under the sun (we're usually being told 38º under shelter), sorry I don't have the conversion in my head for Fahrenheits.

Yeah compared to Japanese and American traffic we do hit a higher average speed I guess.

On the EU Market, the Mobil1 ESP 5W-30 is one of the excellent choices for such use. There is no real advantage in using 0w oils for you.

I would stay away from 0w-16 as many of them have high Noack unless the indicated Noack is low.

Also, I did not enjoy the idling sound of my N/A engine after a high-speed hot summer (+40ºC) ride on a highway (6000 km driven on that oil, sustained speeds close to 160 km/h for approx 40 minutes), therefore the 0w-20 would not be my choice for longer fast long highway rides in the summer. Normally when the engine is warm the idling is almost inaudible. After the ride, the idle was louder that idling a cold engine in winter. Once I slowed down during the next leg of the trip, the idling was not audible again. Therefore no 0w-20 for me for the summers.

If you prefer other brands than Mobil1, the easy way to identify an above-average oil is to look for MB 229.5 or MB229.51 or MB229.52 approval.
In the 0w-20 viscosity class look for MB229.71 or MB229.72.

On the EU Market, the Mobil1 ESP 5W-30 is one of the excellent choices for such use. There is no real advantage in using 0w oils for you.

I would stay away from 0w-16 as many of them have high Noack unless the indicated Noack is low.

Also, I did not enjoy the idling sound of my N/A engine after a high-speed hot summer (+40ºC) ride on a highway (6000 km driven on that oil, sustained speeds close to 160 km/h for approx 40 minutes), therefore the 0w-20 would not be my choice for longer fast long highway rides in the summer. Normally when the engine is warm the idling is almost inaudible. After the ride, the idle was louder that idling a cold engine in winter. Once I slowed down during the next leg of the trip, the idling was not audible again. Therefore no 0w-20 for me for the summers.

If you prefer other brands than Mobil1, the easy way to identify an above-average oil is to look for MB 229.5 or MB229.51 or MB229.52 approval.
In the 0w-20 viscosity class look for MB229.71 or MB229.72.
Really appreciate the detailed answer and your experience with some of these low viscosity oils. a -40 grade does seem unnecessary to you regarding my engine and my use? I do one oil change per year (since I never do more than 10k kilometers a year) so I need something that does a great job during summer and cold winter mornings (well "cold" not that much) I heard that the 0W was a great thing for timing chain engines in that situation so that's why I was going for this, was that advice an overstatement?

As for the oil brand, it's not that I have a particular affinity with Mobil1, actually it'd have been my first M1 oil, I always sticked to Castrol and Total oils in the past.

Thank you for your answers, I'm glad to see that my vehicle isn't truly restricted to just a few choices! As for my driving habit on the highway, I wouldn't consider it to be slow, I'm practically always around 4,5/5k RPM (that's what not being able to go past 5th gear does ahah) so this is probably where my engine will be the most solicited.

I guess a 0W30 should be fine given the fact that even if it's still a small engine, the car is quite lightweight with barely 1090kg on the scale, but the again I sadly have no idea to know my oil temperature with the available dashboard instruments.

A 40 grade feels really "overkill" to most of you for my situation?
A 40-grade is for engines that have actual performance - you have a baby 1.5L gas engine, it's absurd that you're entertaining this.

Pick a 5w30 and call it a day

Welcome! Overthinking is what we do here. (y)

As you can probably tell by your owner's manual, there are a range of viscosities you can run. Ideally you want to run the lightest viscosity you can without sacrificing wear protection. It's very hard to know what viscosity is most ideal without doing extensive engine testing. Most engines can technically run on multiple viscosity grades without issue. The lighter viscosity the great fuel economy. The modern 0w20's and 0w16's have shown to be adequate for most driving conditions.

In your climate, I think a 0w20/5w30 would be ideal. But again, you could also run a 0w30 without issue. If you're driving very fast on the highway, I'd most likely use a 20 or 30/40 grade oil.
You got that right..overthinking...5 pages on a oil pan crush washer.... :ROFLMAO:

Back