Road Force balanced and still vibrate

I own a 2010 Buick Lucerne with only 59k on the odometer. I just bought a new set of Goodyears, had them road force balanced and they said all looked good and the rims are good to, no bent rims.. But when I hit 55-60 mph the seat vibrates and then it smoothes out again when I reach 70. Amy ideas in this? I thought road force balanced was as good as it gets.

I own a 2010 Buick Lucerne with only 59k on the odometer. I just bought a new set of Goodyears, had them road force balanced and they said all looked good and the rims are good to, no bent rims.. But when I hit 55-60 mph the seat vibrates and then it smoothes out again when I reach 70. Amy ideas in this? I thought road force balanced was as good as it gets.
You can’t balance an egg. I don’t care what you do, an out of round tire, wheel, or combination cannot be balanced.
The machine is only as good as the operator.

Hmmm....I sort of figure that could also be the case. I'm taking it back needless to say

Did they tell you the balance weights per tire? It’s in pounds per tire typically.

My little 1990 Ranger had brake issues in the rear. I ordered new brakes spring kit and drums from RA and the Drums were out of balance badly. Put them on my bubble balancer and they were way off. Put old rums from AAP on the balancer and they were perfect. Truck always had rear lock up problem on left rear. Ford had used the wrong spring. No issues now. Did you get new brake drums or rotors?

I can't see it being the rotors because the old tires rode perfect. Then new tires put on and now this issue.

I think it's the operator as if out of round the machine would tell him and since it wasn't mentioned it probably is OK,
but NOT balanced properly.

Years ago I bought a set of Goodyear Wranglers for my chevy. Same symptoms. Balanced fine but two were replaced as they were out of round.

I had this happen with 2 sets of Continentals on my Regal. Same symptoms. My guess is one or more of those tires needs to be replaced because it's not round.

I once had a tire that had a lot of side to side motion. It would vibrate at highway speeds and give the car a little sway at crawling speeds.

But the road force balanced detects a faulty tire right?
Yes, but it's up to the operator to do something about it. Sometimes the tire can be repositioned on the rim to help mitigate the out of round, but the rim must have a low spot too so it can be "match mounted". Obviously, this isn't always the case. They just stick the bad tire on the rear and hope you don't notice.

Yes, but it's up to the operator to do something about it. Sometimes the tire can be repositioned on the rim to help mitigate the out of round, but the rim must have a low spot too so it can be "match mounted". Obviously, this isn't always the case. They just stick the bad tire on the rear and hope you don't notice.
and that the road force machine gets routine recalibrations...

Another vote for the Road Force balancer is only as good as the person operating it.

I went through this ordeal before. Turned out the initial tire shop wasn't even using the Road Force feature on the machine correctly. Ended up going to a local custom tuner shop and told them my sob story. The owner let me watch as he balanced my tires on his Road Force machine. He had to break the beads on all 4 tires and rotate them around the rim to bring the Road Force values down. The tires barely needed any weights afterward and the car rode smooth as glass.

So yeah, the guy running the machine actually has to be awake / know what he's doing.

Do your best to make sure they're round, but that in my opinion is a balance problem. In my experience, you can feel an out of round tire at certain low speeds, especially on the front.

Swap out the tires. Maybe they're made of recycled bubble gum.

I was getting crappy work by a DT store. Finally found one that can actually balance tires. So now I drive an extra 20 min to a store that, for the moment anyway, has managed to hire fully functional close-to-human employee-things.

Tire shop called. They redid the road force. They found the pasenger side rear was at 22. After road forcing again they got it to 16. They said they even had to flip the tire around on the rim. I hope this resolved it. Will test drive for myself in an hour.

Back