Road Force balanced and still vibrate

Tire shop called. They redid the road force. They found the pasenger side rear was at 22. After road forcing again they got it to 16. They said they even had to flip the tire around on the rim. I hope this resolved it. Will test drive for myself in an hour.
That’s the bad tire. Have them get the car off of the ground and let you watch as they spin them by hand. Watch each wheel assembly closely. If you see an obvious up and down motion or side to side motion in the tread, have that tire replaced.

That’s the bad tire. Have them get the car off of the ground and let you watch as they spin them by hand. Watch each wheel assembly closely. If you see an obvious up and down motion or side to side motion in the tread, have that tire replaced.
Well...I agree. So here is the embarrassing part. I bought the tires at Walmart and had my tire shop install them. MY mistake. I should have spent the extra 200.00 and bought tires there.
Anyway....took car back to Walmart...the shop manager has agreed...reluctantly to replace that tire. So we will see what happens

Well...I agree. So here is the embarrassing part. I bought the tires at Walmart and had my tire shop install them. MY mistake. I should have spent the extra 200.00 and bought tires there.
Anyway....took car back to Walmart...the shop manager has agreed...reluctantly to replace that tire. So we will see what happens
A step in the right direction.

Replacing the tire may be a mistake. You could get an even worse tire - unless you rode on it and still felt the vibration.

If you did ride on it, then your car is one of those super sensitive ones. A 16# rear tire shouldn't cause a noticeable vibration.

Also, it could be you. Some folks are sensitive to those kinds of vibrations.

Well, like all of us here, we are "car people" so we are much more in tune to our cars and know when there is a problem. All I know is that this car rode like it was on a sheet of glass. And now it rides like a POS

I'll see what happens after Walmart puts on the new rear tire. If that doesn't work, I chalk it up to a 471.00 mistake. It's a chunk of money no doubt, but in the grand scheme of life, it's not. I'll stick with shops that only specialize in tires from now on. And after going through this, I'll NEVER by a set of tires online again. Yeah..I've done that, but lucked out. God only knows what nightmare that would have been if I got a bad tire(s).

I think you did the right thing. I have no doubt that 22# roadforce will be easily felt, and from past experience 16# won't be any better.
I had to get my '99 STS tires all below 10# for that car to ride smoothly.

Even if you do end up getting a second bad tire, at least you know where the issue is exactly and go down this same path. Sure, nobody should have to do that, but it's just how things are.

Ive had various tires that cause vibrations. The roadforce guys (good ones) have been able to tell me which tire is no good that needs to be replaced...

You can’t balance an egg. I don’t care what you do, an out of round tire, wheel, or combination cannot be balanced.
The machine is only as good as the operator.
He should chalk the tires to confirm this.

Ok...I have the printouts after the third road force test.. 3 tires are trash. Only the driver side front met speck at 12 and the range is 0-15. The three others were as follows...22,23 and one at 32. That suuuuucks. I got a set of walmart goodyears. So here is my question. Go with a set of 847.00 out the door Bridgstones and my local shop guarantees me I will have zero vibration...stack the 4 ****ty tires in my garage and go to war with Goodyear or sell them on market place for 50.00 per tire and recoup a little.?? Or. Run these into the ground? The problem is..I know opinions will very...but if.you have a pristine car...do you want to feel that vibration between 54 and 65? For another 50 thousand miles? I did ask If they would throw in a free road force balanced if I buy the Bridgestoned since I feel they really should refund me. And after you read this and you are scratching your head...then you are probably have so.e of the same thoughts I am, but I will save it. This post is too long.

Ok...I have the printouts after the third road force test.. 3 tires are trash. Only the driver side front met speck at 12 and the range is 0-15. The three others were as follows...22,23 and one at 32. That suuuuucks. I got a set of walmart goodyears. So here is my question. Go with a set of 847.00 out the door Bridgstones and my local shop guarantees me I will have zero vibration...stack the 4 ****ty tires in my garage and go to war with Goodyear or sell them on market place for 50.00 per tire and recoup a little.?? Or. Run these into the ground? The problem is..I know opinions will very...but if.you have a pristine car...do you want to feel that vibration between 54 and 65? For another 50 thousand miles? I did ask If they would throw in a free road force balanced if I buy the Bridgestoned since I feel they really should refund me. And after you read this and you are scratching your head...then you are probably have so.e of the same thoughts I am, but I will save it. This post is too long.
Goodyear branded Walmart tires are as bad and cheap as it gets unfortunately. I would just try to unload them for whatever you can get and call it a lesson learned. I am familiar with road force balancing and have done many myself. I've done many 33" and 35" offroad tires that didn't have that much runout. There is usually one tire/rim that takes some extra time and weight to get balanced, and they do end up on the right rear generally. The high end road force balance machines will actually tell you where to place each tire/rim on the vehicle to best minimize vibrations. WIth those numbers, there is nothing you can do to make it better. Hunter has training videos on youtube if you're curious about the process.

I agree with you. Lesson learned. Uuuuugh. I told my shop to order the Bridgestoes. Be in Monday. After that, I will ram this down Goodyear corporates throat and see how far I get at a refund. If that doesn't pan out, I'll sell them on market place for 60 or 70 per tire. I don't want to screw anyone over and you would have to assume at that price with no tax ppl understand they aren't getting "perfect:" But part of me also feels like I'd have a hard time selling those pieces of crap to some family that might be strapped and putting them on their kids car. Do you think these pose a safety issue?

I agree with you. Lesson learned. Uuuuugh. I told my shop to order the Bridgestoes. Be in Monday. After that, I will ram this down Goodyear corporates throat and see how far I get at a refund. If that doesn't pan out, I'll sell them on market place for 60 or 70 per tire. I don't want to screw anyone over and you would have to assume at that price with no tax ppl understand they aren't getting "perfect:" But part of me also feels like I'd have a hard time selling those pieces of crap to some family that might be strapped and putting them on their kids car. Do you think these pose a safety issue?

These tires do NOT pose a safety risk. They are just annoying.

What should have happened is that the tire dealer (in this case WalMart) should have been where the tires were mounted. That way THEY are on the hook for any issues. THEY should have made this right. Going to Goodyear corporate now is not going to get you anywhere You have already moved on. You needed to give them an opportunity to fix this before taking the next step. Besides, it was always possible for WalMart to fix this by substituting another brand and turning the takeoffs in for warranty. You didn't need to be involved in this at all - except, of course, that it is your car.

But I am puzzled as to how we went from a single tire at 22# that was going to be replaced to 3 tires all over 20# and - apparently - the replacement being over 30#.

I think you did the right thing. I have no doubt that 22# roadforce will be easily felt, and from past experience 16# won't be any better.
I had to get my '99 STS tires all below 10# for that car to ride smoothly.

That STS is one of those super sensitive cars. Plus, JohnnyG lives in Florida where the roads don't freeze over and don't "heave" during the winter. So most vehicles don't need to be below 10# to get an acceptable ride..

Last edited:
The LBS is only part of the story the other part is the runout in the wheel and tire both of which the machine will measure then if used properly can OEM match the tire and wheel assembly I’ve personally seen this halve the Road force variation. I too am puzzled how we went from one tire at 22 to 3 at 22 and above. IME on a passenger car you’re going to feel Above 20.

Can you post a picture of the printout?

Ok...tell me if you can see this. See the lower left corner of each page which shows the number that is supposed to be between 0 and 15. Only one tire met spec.. you may have to zoom in to see it.

Attachments

• 20220604_092508.jpg
    20220604_092508.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 57
These tires do NOT pose a safety risk. They are just annoying.

What should have happened is that the tire dealer (in this case WalMart) should have been where the tires were mounted. That way THEY are on the hook for any issues. THEY should have made this right. Going to Goodyear corporate now is not going to get you anywhere You have already moved on. You needed to give them an opportunity to fix this before taking the next step. Besides, it was always possible for WalMart to fix this by substituting another brand and turning the takeoffs in for warranty. You didn't need to be involved in this at all - except, of course, that it is your car.

But I am puzzled as to how we went from a single tire at 22# that was going to be replaced to 3 tires all over 20# and - apparently - the replacement being over 30#.

That STS is one of those super sensitive cars. Plus, JohnnyG lives in Florida where the roads don't freeze over and don't "heave" during the winter. So most vehicles don't need to be below 10# to get an acceptable ride.

I didn't live in Florida at the time, but SE Ohio. Roads were pretty good there too. When selling these tires (if Walmart won't take them back) just mention the road force numbers in the ad, that way you will be an honest seller at least.
The STS was a tough one, but my 2008 DTS was no picnic either.

I can see it will have to look on computer but those look like screen print of the balancer, what I’m more used to shows all 4 tires with measurements on one page.

That's what i got. I'm washing my hands of this. Ordered a good set of Bridgestones from my local tire dealer. Some may not like those, but I've NEVER once had a problem with any Bridgestone/Firestone tire. I made one 470.00 mistake in my life buying these Goodyears from Walmart. Will never happen again. I'm sure I can sell them for 70.00 bucks each. And the staff and service at a Wmart auto center suuuuuuuck. At least the ones I've been to. I will never patronize one of those places again.

Back