RLI in Direct Injection Applications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: FlyPenFly
Soooo fuel dilution fighting oil... RLI good? Will my $20,000 engine sdie?

Again, if you don't know your engine has a problem that RLI will address, there's no reason to suspect it'll do better than what's in there now. You can go ahead and use it anyway, or you can buy whatever 229.5 oil you can get off-the-shelf in big jugs for half the per-quart cost. Your engine will probably be fine either way.

If you're worried, the thing to do is to get oil analysis on a few samples of your current oil. If there's anything in there that suggests a problem that RLI might help with, I'm sure Terry Dyson will let you know in a hurry.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Glad you see my point
grin.gif

Yes, we are definitely overdue for some ribs and beer!
cheers3.gif

40.gif
lol.gif

Let me know when you are somewhere nearish and we can meet for dinner.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC
Glad you see my point
grin.gif

Yes, we are definitely overdue for some ribs and beer!
cheers3.gif

40.gif
lol.gif

Let me know when you are somewhere nearish and we can meet for dinner.
thumbsup2.gif

Will do. You are still up in the Hammer right?

Yeah but I work in the GTA daily.
thumbsup2.gif

OK, I'm there frequently. Will let you know when I am there for a stint.

If you are running an OTR truck for millions of miles and an engine job is 35 grand, doing a periodic sample to confirm it isn't munching coolant, an injector isn't tanking or something along those lines is logical, particularly when viewed in the context of the value of the equipment. Same thing for big industrial gensets and the like, which get periodically sampled. Jim Bob and his Nissan Sentra spending 20 bucks an oil change on having his oil analyzed so he can chase 5ppm of Fe over a breadth of appropriate lubricants isn't going to result in his engine lasting any longer, it is just going to result in him spending far more money than necessary on a piece of equipment that won't be worth any more in the end than if he just changed the oil at the recommended interval using an appropriate approved product.

Another factor with OTR equipment is the sheer volume of the lubricant used and the cost of replacement as a result...running a UOA to check on the health of 40 quarts of oil makes more financial sense than it does for 5 quarts. Also seems like it is common for OTR apps to include some sort of bypass filtering that can extend the life of the oil and UOAs are then valuable for determining the OCI as well as ensuring that coolant or fuel isn't seriously polluting the long use lubricant.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
If you are running an OTR truck for millions of miles and an engine job is 35 grand, doing a periodic sample to confirm it isn't munching coolant, an injector isn't tanking or something along those lines is logical, particularly when viewed in the context of the value of the equipment. Same thing for big industrial gensets and the like, which get periodically sampled. Jim Bob and his Nissan Sentra spending 20 bucks an oil change on having his oil analyzed so he can chase 5ppm of Fe over a breadth of appropriate lubricants isn't going to result in his engine lasting any longer, it is just going to result in him spending far more money than necessary on a piece of equipment that won't be worth any more in the end than if he just changed the oil at the recommended interval using an appropriate approved product.

Another factor with OTR equipment is the sheer volume of the lubricant used and the cost of replacement as a result...running a UOA to check on the health of 40 quarts of oil makes more financial sense than it does for 5 quarts. Also seems like it is common for OTR apps to include some sort of bypass filtering that can extend the life of the oil and UOAs are then valuable for determining the OCI as well as ensuring that coolant or fuel isn't seriously polluting the long use lubricant.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
I had good UOA's using it but it's to expensive to get in Canada.
smile.gif

PYB is too expensive to get in Canada, but that's another topic.
wink.gif

Canada is too expensive to get in Canada.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Guys, I don't think the eco thing is actually a thing for RLI oils. The fact that it's plant-based doesn't mean it's sustainable.

I always thought the point of the plant-based ester they're using is that it... works well. When part of a properly formulated oil, of course.

thumbsup2.gif

And RLI had to have the assistance of additive formulators to come up with an additive package compatible with those minority base oils.

But, since changing chemistry is way of getting cleaning action, what about those plant based esters? Do they help dissolve existing deposits or varnish if you have any?

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

RLI is a Group IV/V oil. No Group III in it.

RLI is known for reducing engine wear on VW/Audi direct injection engines when compared to 502.00 certified oils. There is a big thread on this in the European/Import oil forum.

And you know that how?
confused2.gif

I take it you haven't read any of their so-called international patents.
smirk.gif

I'm thinking maybe for my application, try to find the lowest NOACK MB 229.5 I can find and try to run very short intervals of like 3,000 miles. Maybe I'll install Fumoto valves on the Mercedes' cars. It's a pain to remove the underbody panel each time.

Ultimately, really short intervals on a cheap 229.5 oil seems like it should fight fuel dilution and intake deposits the best.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back