RLI in Direct Injection Applications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
You will have to experiment with UOAs to prove this then.

How is a UOA going to prove it?

It will show him how it's performing in his application and then he can compare it to the cost he is paying and determine if an off the shelf synthetic better suits his needs.

Are you talking strictly TBN retention or? Because we are talking cheap Blackstone UOA's here, you can't contrast wear metals and conclude one is doing better than another.

Originally Posted By: FlyPenFly
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: FlyPenFly
Been reading a lot about RLI, want to try them out. This would be oil for my two Mercedes. They're both using Castrol Edge 0w40 and 5w40 right now. These engines are both start/stop engines and direct injection.

Would the 5w30 be a good place to start? Actually located in San Diego and the cars will never see snow. Plan is to run them for about 5k miles and then run a Dyson analysis.

Does either car have a problem that you think RLI oils might solve?

Nope, both run perfectly. Just looking for the best quality oil I can get for the dollar that offers maximum protection.

Well I can't imagine RLI would do poorly or anything, but I don't think there's any reason to imagine it'll do better. I say that not because it can't, but because there's simply no evidence of a problem.

Both engines spec MB 229.5, right?

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
I think the OP was referring to Renewable Lubricants Incorporated.

I do not see any advantages in using the RLI engine oil.

Tell us what you really think. Do you have more to say?

Yeah they're both MB229.5 They don't really see hard use per se unlike the Mini Cooper which often sees high RPM because it's got an itty bitty engine.

The actual hardest use on them really is from being in daily stop and go traffic where there's probably a ton of start/stop eco cycles. This probably leads to a lot of fuel contamination. I've read RLI oils are the best there is in fighting fuel dilution.

If the goal is best engine performance, that's one thing. If the goal is good engine performance and bio-oil, thant's another.

Best engine performance might be done with low calcium oil off the Porsche A40 list.

But, RLI might work well enough to get you past 200,000 miles - if that's your intent ... And it might be easier on the planet (not sure about that ...)
laugh.gif

You will have to experiment with UOAs to prove this then.

How is a UOA going to prove it?

It will show him how it's performing in his application and then he can compare it to the cost he is paying and determine if an off the shelf synthetic better suits his needs.

Are you talking strictly TBN retention or? Because we are talking cheap Blackstone UOA's here, you can't contrast wear metals and conclude one is doing better than another.

Overall UOA tells a story.
wink.gif

Overall UOA tells a story.
wink.gif

I really don't think it does. Anomalies in trends point to potential mechanical issues, TBN/TAN help us gauge duration, the presence of contamination such as fuel or coolant can also be helpful. Aside from that, you aren't getting much more out of an inexpensive UOA, which are the type typically performed on here.

Generally, I defer to Doug's article from the main page when these discussions come up: Used Oil Analysis

Perfect example. I ran a UOA with Terry recently and he said there was high nitration in my sample would could be caused by over cooling. No Check Engine light, no codes. Temps on my scan gauge seemed normal but I didn't really pay that close attention to it. 2 months later the thermostat failed (open) and the then the coolant sensor went.

Another example. My brothers Rav-4 check engine light kept coming on with a lean condition and the cause couldn't be found. I encouraged him to send an oil sample through the lab and it came back with increased silicon and insolubles. There was an intake gasket leak in an odd spot so it couldn't be seen but we knew we were looking for unfiltered air leak so we soaked the areas around the gaskets in WD-40 and sure enough white smoke came out of the exhaust (old trick) so we knew we had a leak and then we fixed it.

My uncle was going to buy a used Focus from another relative and I encouraged him to send an oil report away and he did and it showed excessive wear metals, the engine grenades 2 months after I told him not to buy the car. We find out later the guy had been doing 20,000km conventional oil changes because he thought that was normal.

How is this not showing a story?

Last edited:
Perfect example. I ran a UOA with Terry recently and he said there was high nitration in my sample would could be caused by over cooling. No Check Engine light, no codes. Temps on my scan gauge seemed normal but I didn't really pay that close attention to it. 2 months later the thermostat failed (open) and the then the coolant sensor went.

A professionally interpreted UOA (not a Blackstone UOA posted on BITOG) where there's a clear anomaly (which I noted above is acceptable use) is quite different than trying to figure out which oil is "better" by contrasting Blackstone UOA's.

Another example. My brothers Rav-4 check engine light kept coming on with a lean condition and the cause couldn't be found. I encouraged him to send an oil sample through the lab and it came back with increased silicon and insolubles. There was an intake gasket leak in an odd spot so it couldn't be seen but we knew we were looking for unfiltered air leak so we soaked the areas around the gaskets in WD-40 and sure enough white smoke came out of the exhaust (old trick) so we knew we had a leak and then we fixed it.

Again, that's an example of a mechanical issue/contamination, not trying to determine performance differences between two oils. Proper use of the tool.

My uncle was going to buy a used Focus from another relative and I encouraged him to send an oil report away and he did and it showed excessive wear metals, the engine grenades 2 months after I told him not to buy the car. We find out later the guy had been doing 20,000km conventional oil changes because he thought that was normal.

How is this not showing a story?

Define "excessive". If we are talking significantly more than a few PPM here or there, then again, proper use of the tool, indicating potential mechanical issue.

Each of those examples are personal "stories" but they are not in any way in-line with telling somebody to run a UOA to determine if Oil X is better than Oil Y in their application, which was my takeaway from your original comment.

Properly trended, UOA's will provide a history, or as you put it, a "story" about the mechanical condition of a piece of equipment, but that "story" doesn't exist without that history, and two UOA's on two different oils on a piece of a equipment to compare wear metals using cheap UOA's isn't any form of that.

He mentioned Terry, it was understood that he would be doing the interpretation of the report.
wink.gif

As for your other points I was defining how UOA's could tell a story which is what you were questioning. There are many stories they can tell those were just mine.

Excessive metals indicating premature and badly wearing Journal Bearings and ring wear. Clearly evident by the elevated levels of high double digits like in the 55-70ppm range that a Starbucks employee could see didn't make sense compared to universal averages.

Further if you run Oil "A" and Oil "B" a few runs each and see decreases in wear metals or the TBN/TAN not as affected or affected far too much you can hypothesize that the oil is doing a better job over the other and depending on what you are looking at make a call about how it's performing in your engine. It's not 100% scientific but it's a good indicator for those that don't want to pay for properly calibrated labs and interpretation. If you argue with this point then they might as well shut down the whole UOA section at BITOG.
coffee2.gif

Last edited:
He mentioned Terry, it was understood that he would be doing the interpretation of the report.
wink.gif

As for your other points I was defining how UOA's could tell a story which is what you were questioning. There are many stories they can tell those were just mine.

Excessive metals indicating premature and badly wearing Journal Bearings and ring wear. Clearly evident by the elevated levels of high double digits like in the 55-70ppm range that a Starbucks employee could see didn't make sense compared to universal averages.

Further if you run Oil "A" and Oil "B" a few runs each and see decreases in wear metals or the TBN/TAN not as affected or affected far too much you can hypothesize that the oil is doing a better job over the other and depending on what you are looking at make a call about how it's performing in your engine. It's not 100% scientific but it's a good indicator for those that don't want to pay for properly calibrated labs and interpretation. If you argue with this point then they might as well shut down the whole UOA section at BITOG.
coffee2.gif

With TAN, the RLI starts off at a "disadvantage" as it has a high TAN from the start, if you look at the VOA

Doesn't mean he will end up with a high TAN if it's stable in his application or if the TBN isn't pushed to the limit.

Never had any issues running it.
wink.gif

Doesn't mean he will end up with a high TAN if it's stable in his application or if the TBN isn't pushed to the limit.

wink.gif

Can't remember from my past UOA's when I ran it, if the TAN went up or not from the baseline VOA. The high TAN, as terry explained it is due to the base HOPS stock itself.

Link to RLI

After just going on a diatribe about staying with one brand... I find this oil interesting mostly for the fuzzy warm feeling that you're doing something for the planet. Edge Bio-Synthetic claims 25% plant dirived-oil. I assume RLI is more?

Only BITOG can make me feel like a kid in Toys-R-Us, not being able to choose and needing to go down every isle to see what's there i may be missing.
banana2.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
wink.gif

Yes, he did, I missed that on the first pass, my apologies. In that context, he's getting far more out of the UOA (at much greater cost mind you) than most on this board.

Yes, in the context of inexpensive Blackstone UOA's posted on BITOG, which I think you must acknowledge varies significantly from professional interpretation.

Right, but that's not what you are going to see running oil "A" and oil "B". That's what you'll see if you have a legitimate issue regardless of the lubricant in service, provided that the product is appropriate for the application. And even then, there are cases where UOA's fail to provide evidence of impending failure.

coffee2.gif

I'm definitely going to argue with that point because the PPM variance between those runs is often so minute that it can be chalked up to lab variance or within the margin of error. That discussion has evolved significantly in your absence, hence my linking to Doug's article which deals specifically with UOA's that are typical as to what is posted on BITOG and generally come from Blackstone. If you haven't read it, give it a going over.

Dave Newton also wrote a few that are linked on the front page about UOA "normalization" and interpretation. They are also worth a read.

Chasing single-digit wear metals between approved lubricants is a fools errand that incurs unnecessary expense. Your typical passenger vehicle will likely be taken out by rust, accident or some other mechanical failure like a transmission going out before the engine fails. Even if the engine DOES fail, it generally isn't due to something that could be prevented from running a different oil, as your experience with your former Hyundai demonstrates quite aptly. There wasn't a Unicorn Sauce in the world that could have stopped that camshaft failure, and your oil analysis didn't predict it. You also mentioned you were concerned about the transmission health near the end.

If you are running an OTR truck for millions of miles and an engine job is 35 grand, doing a periodic sample to confirm it isn't munching coolant, an injector isn't tanking or something along those lines is logical, particularly when viewed in the context of the value of the equipment. Same thing for big industrial gensets and the like, which get periodically sampled. Jim Bob and his Nissan Sentra spending 20 bucks an oil change on having his oil analyzed so he can chase 5ppm of Fe over a breadth of appropriate lubricants isn't going to result in his engine lasting any longer, it is just going to result in him spending far more money than necessary on a piece of equipment that won't be worth any more in the end than if he just changed the oil at the recommended interval using an appropriate approved product.

Now, that's not to say running a periodic analysis to determine if one can safely run a lube longer isn't appropriate, it is. Same with your previous examples, which were all legitimate single-instance uses of the procedure, not chasing PPM variances between GTX and VWB. If you think you might have an internal coolant leak, a UOA is a solid choice. If you think you have an air intake tract leak, again, a UOA is a solid choice. If you question the health of an engine in a vehicle one is considering buying, yet again, a UOA is a reasonable choice. These are all valid reasons, which you gave examples of, for using UOA's. It is the chasing of insignificant wear metal variations between different lubricants that I, and others, have issue with, because there's really no end game, it is just an utter waste of money, money that could be spent just changing the oil, buying better filters, better tires....etc.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

wink.gif

Can't remember from my past UOA's when I ran it, if the TAN went up or not from the baseline VOA. The high TAN, as terry explained it is due to the base HOPS stock itself.

HOPS or HOBS?
grin2.gif

Guys, I don't think the eco thing is actually a thing for RLI oils. The fact that it's plant-based doesn't mean it's sustainable.

I always thought the point of the plant-based ester they're using is that it... works well. When part of a properly formulated oil, of course.

No problem OVERKILL on the first point

On the second point I'm not suggesting chasing the small single digit PPM or stressing about it because it means hardly anything in the grand scheme of things, all I was saying is that you can look at the numbers over multiple runs and compare them and try to pick the oil that seemed to have the lowest numbers along with good TAN/TBN numbers etc.

It's very unscientific but it's the best option short of the only real way to tell for sure is to use a properly calibrated lab with someone qualified to do the proper analysis of the report and I don't mean the blurb that Blackstone and others put at the top that are "Feel good messages". (For me that proper lab/analysis is Test Oil and Terry Dyson. I have multiple UOA's from him and followed his advice and saw the results.)

The only thing that reports offer without proper analysis is the obvious warning signs like I saw in the Focus where it was so blatently obvious that something was wrong you couldn't deny it. Other than that I will say it again a few PPM up or down is hardly anything to worry about in the grand scheme of things because there are too many variables you can't control but if one wanted to make a guess as to which oil was best without a proper analysis then PPM / TAN / TBN is all you can go by. That's all I was trying to get across.

Most of what is posted here on BITOG is conjecture and personal experiences and how people feel not backed by true analysis and science. Yes this can help one avoid major catastrophies but if this place is really about fine tuning everything to do about oil then it needs to get more scientific with properly calibrated labs and people qualified to do the analysis but no one wants to pay the extra cost involved so they do a half arsed job and then take Blackstone as gospel and fight over nonsense like a few PPM that doesn't matter.

Are we still friends?
lol.gif

I think we are overdue for some ribs and a beer! Hahahahaahaha

cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back