rips in leather seats - repair?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a few rips, two large ones: 2" x 1/4" and 2" x 1/2". Would like to try to repair it myself and was wondering if anyone has used one of the leather repair kits sold on TV or similar. Car is too old to worry about a professional job and I don't want to cover with seat covers.

Duct tape
grin.gif

Years ago (like 20) I used some stuff the name of which I forget. I'm posting anyway because you mentioned "As Seen on TV" and this was where I purchased the product.

It sealed up the rips in the seats (vinyl) but it won't look new or even blend in that well. Might be user error but I could definantely see the patch area that I worked on. Decent enough if you just want to keep the seat from getting worse.

Stuff sold today is probably the exact same formula sold years ago on late night TV.

Tom

thanks for actually answering my question Tom. i think i will give that stuff a try, then. color variation would be better than holes and rips.

I've used the stuff but not on leather. If you take your time you can get a fairly good color match. It was on a vinyl roof (so how long ago was THAT?), and therfore the stress on the repair was quite low. It was 100% undetectible, at least until I sold that car a few days later....

re: duct tape: seriously, I would consider using it on the underside to provide a backup for the repair. It will hold it together while you do the work and it will provide a lot of extra strength over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back