Leather Seat Repair

Hi, anyone have any experience with any of the various leather seat repair kits and processes out there, e.g. Seat Doctor?

Bought an older but very low mileage vehicle that has some cracking and slight wear on the leather driver's seat bolster that I want to repair. This car appears to have the 'supple leather' option, so it wasn't especially durable and from the wear, some prior owner may have been on the large side..

Thanks all.

No experience with any repair kit.
I found a competent upholsterer near me and they had sample books of matching manmade substitutes (as well as leather).
That saved some money. It was a thoroughly satisfying repair.

Hi, anyone have any experience with any of the various leather seat repair kits and processes out there, e.g. Seat Doctor?

Bought an older but very low mileage vehicle that has some cracking and slight wear on the leather driver's seat bolster that I want to repair. This car appears to have the 'supple leather' option, so it wasn't especially durable and from the wear, some prior owner may have been on the large side..

Thanks all.
Is the leather cracking, or is it the top coating?

Assuming the leather is cracking, I would check with a local automotive upholstery store/installer. They may be able to replace the section and match the color.

Sometimes a worn piece of leather may look better than a new piece, regardless of how well they match. That is 100% personal preference though.

Also, you may be surprised what is available from the car manufacturer, although it may have an equally surprising cost if still available.

If leather is ok, the redye kit from Seat Doctor might be ok. Just have to ensure color will work.

Last edited:
No experience with any repair kit.
I found a competent upholsterer near me and they had sample books of matching manmade substitutes (as well as leather).
That saved some money. It was a thoroughly satisfying repair.
I had the same experience. If you receive a very high quote, it'll be because they don't want to do the job.

Is the leather cracking, or is it the top coating?

Assuming the leather is cracking, I would check with a local automotive upholstery store/installer. They may be able to replace the section and match the color.

Sometimes a worn piece of leather may look better than a new piece, regardless of how well they match. That is 100% personal preference though.

Also, you may be surprised what is available from the car manufacturer, although it may have an equally surprising cost if still available.
It's really the top coating where the side bolster wore from entry and exit, and I want to preserve as much of the seat as possible. I agree with the worn piece statement. New against patina is an eyesore for me, like a new video game radio in a classic, but I am weird that way.

It's really the top coating where the side bolster wore from entry and exit, and I want to preserve as much of the seat as possible. I agree with the worn piece statement. New against patina is an eyesore for me, like a new video game radio in a classic, but I am weird that way.
The Seat Doctor website shows some honest looking before and after photos. If they can get the color right, it might be worth a try.

So i work in the auto reconditioning business at dealerships and have for years. Though the modern repair materials are better than they used to be, they are not a long term repair solution. Depending on where the damage is, will determine how long the repair will last. Center consoles / arm rests and back seats are where these repairs last the longest. Driver seats, especially on bolsters do not hold up long term. May fail in weeks, may last 6 months to a year. Really depends on the material used, and the level of attention to detail the individual performing the repair exhibits. The repairs are designed for “getting them off the lot” or for flipping. If you plan on keeping the vehicle long term go to an upholstery shop and get their opinion on replacing the insert. The match may or may not be 100%, but will hold up much better than the recon repair jobs.

The leather guy repaired my Jag's cracked and worn leather steering wheel using bondo and an airbrush paint job. It lasted about a year. The original finish lasted about 12 years.

I would take it to a professional that works with classic car seat restoration. Usually when an overweight person has been using it the seat foam is buggered under the leather. Replacement leather and foam may be available for that car from Suncoast Porsche parts or a good shop can match it.
There are a few shops in MA.

Thanks. The TR seats are fine and original, the skins at least..restuffed. The vinyl wears like and has the comfort of iron :)

Great reference, they are right next door from the radio shop we use...thx again.

Back