Rifle, what would you do ?

A friend of mine passed away and left all his guns to his son. The son isn't into guns so he is selling them, I bought 2 shotguns, 1 Colt 1911, he wants me to buy a rifle he's having a hard time selling. The rifle is a model 70 Winchester with a new (old model) Leupold VX III 3.5-10x40 scope. The gun is like new and only has 1 box of rounds through it that I shot sighting the gun in for the old guy who never shot it since. Now the kicker....the gun is an odd not popular (maybe on extinct list) .270 WSM. He wants $ 400 for gun with scope.

What would you do if the same opportunity came up in your life ?

My son killed a lot of Deer with his .270 WSM . Far from an extinct cartridge .

I dont see how you could go wrong buying it, though if that's a caliber that is $, you dont stock, and wont use, its a harder decision.

Id look for established sales of used scopes and that rifle on GB, and see... Worst case you could list one or both on there with a price that makes you money for time and hassle, and wait for a buyer...

Buy buy buy. Virtually anything can easily be found on line caliber wise, in fact being less common keeps ammo available during rushes.

The WSM cartridges are good. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy one but a deal like that is an easy choice. There is a ton of ammo out there for under $25 a box.

That is as close to the ideal long range rifle for an outdoorsman as you can get. You may not be able to find ammo for it at Walmart, but with the internet, ammo is a click away these days. A .277 150gr bullet at 3100 fps is good for everything from antelope to moose and everything in between.

Is the son aware that the rifle and scope combination is worth much more? If not, are you okay with taking advantage of your friend's son?

I think you need to make sure the son is aware of the fair market value, and then make the choice to either buy it from him at that price, or not.

Is the son aware that the rifle and scope combination is worth much more? If not, are you okay with taking advantage of your friend's son?

I think you need to make sure the son is aware of the fair market value, and then make the choice to either buy it from him at that price, or not.

Yes the son is aware of market price, I paid top $ for 1 of the shotguns and fair market for the other one & 1911. Not "taking advantage" he would sell it to me for $ 400 because I always took care of his dad. If I bought the gun and flipped it for more $ then in my mind that would be "taking advantage" .

I bought the gun and I'm not going to sell it. I don't sell my guns, fact is when I pass from this world the story will repeat it's self......

Thanks for everyone's thought on the topic.

If this purchase had been offered to me, that Model 70 would already have a new home. Haven't had a rifle in years, but from growing up in New Mexico where deer season often closed some schools, I can tell you that .270 takes a backseat to few, or at least it didn't sixty years ago. Call him up and take it before it's gone.

Back