Rice: how do you cook it and or what dishes do you make with it?

Me personally I have a rice cooker mom bought me so I’ll put some vegetables in with it. Sometimes I’ll put some black beans, chop some chiles up and some habanero hot sauce in with it. Never tried making my own fried rice but it’s so good

How about you folks?

We have a decent electronically controlled rice cooker. The only issue is that we can't find the user manual and without that all the features (other than cook and warm) are impossible to decipher.

I think most Instant Pot models have a rice cooking setting and water lines. I would have no idea how to cook rice on a stove.

Asians that know how to cook rice use their index finger to gauge how much water is enough.

Also... the Vietnamese seasoning to put on rice? maggi seasoned soy sauce.

Or if you make a simmered meat dish, the "sauce" goes on the rice.

Rinse before cooking. I've been doing that for a few years after a Filipino buddy told me that it gets rid of some of the starch.
I just stove top boil it since the rice cooker we had for a few years melted down and almost caught fire.🔥

Get you a good rice cooker and you'll make perfect rice all the time, key is to rinse the rice thoroughly, add water up to the first crease on your index finger and your good to go, best rice cookers are the Tigers, been cooking rice forever. :)
1654393501377.jpg

Usually I use a Zojirushi rice cooker, though if I'm making brown rice I'll use a pressure cooker. Our rice cooker takes a couple of hours to cook brown rice and I never plan that far ahead.

As for how we eat it, I like to cook a lot of Thai, Chinese and Indian dishes. Fried rice, too.

I like to use Royal basmati rice (which I get in the burlap 25lb bags at Sam's Club). I do a ratio of 1 cup rice: 1.5 cups of water. First, I "toast" the rice (I don't rinse it) in a bit of oil by heating it without water, then add the water a moment later once it gets hot and becomes fragrant. After bringing that to a boil, I reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 18 minutes. I'd say I probably end up making rice once or twice a week; I like it as a side dish (great with pork chops/pork tenderloins/chicken) and as fried rice (which is a great way to use up leftover cooked meats). In fact, I had grilled pork tenderloin with some rice tonight for dinner. I've thought about picking up a rice cooker but don't mind making it on the stove, so may hold off for a while.

Last edited:
I'm from Louisiana . There's not many things you can't eat with rice . 😁 I've never used a rice cooker in my life . I cook it on the stove top .

I eat white and brown rice in moderation. Unless I make a risotto I barely ever cook rice myself because Whenever I get take-out I keep usually more than half the rice for future meals. I wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and freeze it in portion size. I do cook wild rice but I'm pretty sure this is not the kind of rice people want to talk about in this thread. I wash and rinse rice repeatedly until the water is clear. I cook rice in broth in a simple pot with a glass lid so I can see if the water is at the right temperature. When the rice is done I throw a tablespoon of butter in there and fluff the rice.

Back