Results - Mobil 1 5W30 Trisyn SJ, VW 1.8T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are results from Dyson Analysis. Car is a 2000 VW Jetta 1.8T, GIAC performance chip (runs about twice the stock boost pressure), full 3" exhaust, and an aftermarket cold air intake with a K&N-type cone filter inside the bumper. A few other mods not worth mentioning. Spark plugs are Autolite 3924 gapped appropriately. 4145 miles on oil, 45K miles on car. Mostly highway miles at 70-80mph in hot, humid weather, with A/C on. Plenty of WOT, full boost use, but not as much overall load as driving in town.

Results (ppm unless noted) comments

WEAR METALS

copper 3 low, normal

iron 11 normal

chrome 0 low

lead 2 low

aluminum 2 low

silicon 11 normal

moly 1 low

sodium 4 low

magnesium 1320 elevated, monitor,can be a
additive . very unusual for this engine and oil combo.

tin 0 very low

ADDITIVES

Zinc 672 normal

potassium 8 normal

phosphorus 594 normal

calcium 762 normal

CONDITIONS

water neg normal

fuel neg normal

glycol neg normal

soot 40 scale 0-199 ,not
completely relevant for diesels, but use for comparison with other tests.

Oxidation 22 scale same as
above, divide by 2 for comparable value to other lab results =11
excellent result.

Nitration 16 scale and
relative value same as above. very low ,means very good combustion
efficiency.

sulfur 20 scale the same,
primarily for diesels. compare to later results.

TBN 10 Acid neutralization
capability, starts at 11 to 13, normal.

Viscosity @ 100 C 11.4 cSt Begins at 10cSt so it has
thickened slightly, still 30w.

Summary Engine and oil are fine after 4145 miles. Wear values are very
low. The engine is burning very efficiently. MG is the only ? mark for me.
I'll check with the lab to ensure it is not a typo. Ask any questions or if
any clarification is needed .

Analysis says the M1 SJ formula does pretty well, but it did thicken up a little. My aftermarket intake is doing a good job filtering based on the silicon numbers, and the el cheapo spark plugs are doing great as expected (single electrode copper plugs...they don't last long, but they sure do make a good burn).

Only question mark is the Magnesium. I'm wondering if something in my engine/turbo contains magesium and is wearing?

Supersyn results will be out probably in early September. Usage of the vehicle and other factors will be similar, so should make a good comparison.

This is one of those times that shows that the same oil will react differently in different applications. 5W30 is notorious for thinning out, but in this engine, it has thickened. As soon as I see 5k on mine, I'll have to see what it has done.

quote:

Originally posted by VaderSS:
This is one of those times that shows that the same oil will react differently in different applications. 5W30 is notorious for thinning out, but in this engine, it has thickened. As soon as I see 5k on mine, I'll have to see what it has done.

My guess is that the highway use created less shear and the high ambient temps and high temps generated by the turbo (and VW engines in general) led to vaporing off of smaller molecules.

The tri-syn formulation can be loaded with as much as 1800 ppm of magnesium. So this reading is well within limits. We were not aware of the SJ rating on this oil and interpreted the data based on being "super-syn" formulation until consulting with the owner.

patriot.gif

Thickening is from the turbo. Temps get real high there. I'm surprised by the low wear with the low levels of zinc and phos.

Another good set of figures for M1. They just keep mounting up. I'm seriously questioning whether all the hours we've spent here playing with a Timken really means anything at all?

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
Another good set of figures for M1. They just keep mounting up. I'm seriously questioning whether all the hours we've spent here playing with a Timken really means anything at all?

Keep in mind this is still the old (good) formula Mobil 1.

sprintman, patman is correct. There has never been any question on m1's trisynth, it's the supersyn we are talking about. I had always told people up to that point that the m1 trisynth is an excellent oil for otc but i will not stand by that with the supersyn. once those #'s appear, and not just once but avg's i'll re evaluate my opinion but until then thats my story and i'm sticking to it.

quote:

Originally posted by BOBISTHEOILGUY:
sprintman, patman is correct. There has never been any question on m1's trisynth, it's the supersyn we are talking about. I had always told people up to that point that the m1 trisynth is an excellent oil for otc but i will not stand by that with the supersyn. once those #'s appear, and not just once but avg's i'll re evaluate my opinion but until then thats my story and i'm sticking to it.

I agree. I am running the Supersyn 5W-30 as we speak, and we'll have a near PERFECT comparison when I get it analyzed. Same car, same driving conditions. It's either going to be better or worse than the Trisyn. We shall see.
I'm going to run the Supersyn 0W-40 after this, as it is now available OTC at Autozone. I expect some good numbers from this one.

dbrowne1
I'll be very interested in analysis figures for M1 0W40 SuperSyn or Trisyn for that matter. But it's Delvac 1 that I'm most interested in. Must be somebody on this forum using it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back