Resuable oil filters?

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
One of the popular oil cooler kits for the MQB/MK7 VAG cars (GTI, R, Golf, A3/S3) is made by Racingline. It utilizes a resuable filter like in the video. Anybody here have experience with or opinions on these and cleaning them/re-using?

What are the independent third party ISO 4548-12 test results?

Without that all you'll get is 'I feel', 'I think', and 'I suppose' answers.

I think they're likely comparitively poor performers in standard testing versus the competition.
I feel this has been discussed several times.
I suppose it could be amazing, but not likely.

Some previous discussions for similar products:

It's one of the downsides of the RL kit - there is another kit by iabed that uses the stock filter but has an issue b/c it "bypasses the stock heat exchanger which has valving to allow the car to heat up quickly in the winter, and you need to run a thermostat for your oil cooler as well" - (FB VW group user).

One of the popular oil cooler kits for the MQB/MK7 VAG cars (GTI, R, Golf, A3/S3) is made by Racingline. It utilizes a resuable filter like in the video. Anybody here have experience with or opinions on these and cleaning them/re-using?

It's for people that prioritize oil flow over filtering efficiency,. There is a reason why they don't publish the filtering efficiency like a regular cellulose filter, it's too embarassing.

No ROI. I'd have to change my oil for over 15 years before it equaled the price of equivalent conventional filters.
The question regarding this type of filter isn't about ROI or using this vs. a standard filter, it's about an oil cooler that comes with this as the only choice.

It's for people that prioritize oil flow over filtering efficiency.
Only time that "flow over filtering efficiency" would make a difference would be on an engine that's living near redline and putting out lots of GPM from the oil pump. Metal screen oil filters would be good on a race engine where the oil gets changed a lot.

Actually, you asked about experience with the reusable filter. But whatever
Yes b/c it comes on an oil cooler kit I'm looking at - not as a "should I run a reusable filter in place of a standard one"...I should have been been more clear in my post if ROI was coming up. Clearly doesn't seem like the best choice as I can see it but it's the choice it comes with if you want additional cooling with this kit so was curious if anyone ran one and how it was to clean, UOAs, etc.

What oil temps are you seeing?

The cooler kit seems well thought out, except for that filter. That would be a deal breaker for me, I think.

One of the popular oil cooler kits for the MQB/MK7 VAG cars (GTI, R, Golf, A3/S3) is made by Racingline. It utilizes a resuable filter like in the video.
Why can't you install an oil cooler and just use the stock oil filter setup?

Check with isweep, wortec, or bartec for an oil pan with 1-2 quarts more capacity.

I would not want a filter housing that can't use a filter from ANY other filter manufacturer.

Add gopurepower to the list of washable oil filters.

I want to throw the filter away along with all the junk that it managed to catch.

I don't even want to contemplate trying to get that junk out of the filter so I can use it again.

Back