Replacing wire harness complete

Rodent damage '19 Tacoma $5351.14 ins quote. According to the dealership harness complete must be replaced. Anybody ever done one? Does this sound reasonable? They say the harness alone is over $2k. Only three or four wires severed but in a bad place to get to installed. I'm asking for the old harness back. I might repair my self and sell on eBay. Comments advice?
Had a 1999 ML 320 and the transmission harness shorted out at ~37K in 2003 , chafed on a support, and the repair was a partial harness replacement. The cost was >3,300 IIRC, but that included a few hundred for some components that were damaged as a result of the short. Sounds like a fair price.

How was the work??

Had a 1999 ML 320 and the transmission harness shorted out at ~37K in 2003 , chafed on a support, and the repair was a partial harness replacement. The cost was >3,300 IIRC, but that included a few hundred for some components that were damaged as a result of the short. Sounds like a fair price.

How was the work??
Haven't found anything to complain about

If this was on my dime, I would have just bypassed the damaged wires with new wire spliced in. Even if they were chewed in a bad place, the wires go some place more accessible where they can be reached. $5,000 vs. $5 in wire and solder and 5 to 10 hours of your time is a no brainer.
I hear what your saying. Been paying insurance forever and never filed a claim.
So got it don't right. Fingers crossed LOL

The insurance company probably gave the dealer a check for the repair - $500, and the final total was a bit less than the initial estimate. Technically, you are always supposed to contribute $500 towards the repair, but...
The ins gave me the check then I indorsed it and gave it to the shop when the work was done. I asked the guy did I owe anything else he said no and I left. Five minutes after I got home the shop called saying they made a mistake and I owed more.

The ins gave me the check then I indorsed it and gave it to the shop when the work was done. I asked the guy did I owe anything else he said no and I left. Five minutes after I got home the shop called saying they made a mistake and I owed more.
Tell him to go scratch his backside with a broken bottle.

new wiring has soy based insulation

apparently rodents love it.

Wasnt thought out well.. perhaps they could include some kind of agent into it to help mitigate this now that its been a REAL issue for years.
We've had problems here with squirrels chewing through aerial telecom (fibre optic) cables.

One preventative measure is to apply a hot-pepper paste to the outer jacket.

Likely not practical for automotive wiring.

If this was on my dime, I would have just bypassed the damaged wires with new wire spliced in. Even if they were chewed in a bad place, the wires go some place more accessible where they can be reached. $5,000 vs. $5 in wire and solder and 5 to 10 hours of your time is a no brainer.
I agree with you here. I have repaired connections this way in much more expensive (and critical!) systems.

This reluctance to make repairs in favor of replacing entire harnesses baffles me. It's less efficient and cost effective for everyone involved.

Back