Replacing wire harness complete

Rodent damage '19 Tacoma $5351.14 ins quote. According to the dealership harness complete must be replaced. Anybody ever done one? Does this sound reasonable? They say the harness alone is over $2k. Only three or four wires severed but in a bad place to get to installed. I'm asking for the old harness back. I might repair my self and sell on eBay. Comments advice?

Wow.

I know that my 91 BMW had some “flood” damage long before I bought it. There was never any sign of mold or water damage at all, but the harness was interesting.

The harness at the ECU had been replaced, like it had been cut and every single wire had been soldered and taped over.

Ideal? No. An issue? No. Must have been 50 wires in that bundle. Was completely fine for the 13 years and 120k miles or so that I owned it. Got rid of the car for other reasons.

So at least back then, they could be cut and connected.

Stinks in so many ways that it happened to a 2019 vehicle.

Rodent damage '19 Tacoma $5351.14 ins quote. According to the dealership harness complete must be replaced. Anybody ever done one? Does this sound reasonable? They say the harness alone is over $2k. Only three or four wires severed but in a bad place to get to installed. I'm asking for the old harness back. I might repair my self and sell on eBay. Comments advice?
If insurance pays, the old harness is their property.

Replacing the main harness can sometimes require engine removal.

The part you are looking for is called "Wire, Engine Room Main."

MSRP ranges from $2,344.73 - $3,138.03 depending on the VIN and option configuration.

1610392935915.png

Last edited:
Where was the truck stored so that it got rodent damage? Asking in case I can prevent this on my own Tacoma.

Harness replacements are common. There are some circuits where the manufacturer does not want us doing a wiring repair, or it is in a location where a repair might become undone fairly quickly. We had a CMax down in shop for months waiting on an engine harness. The vehicle was in an accident and the PCM was physically torn from the vehicle with the connectors still on it. Ford does not sell the PCM connectors for that application, so it had to be a harness.

First thing, the appraiser only did a preliminay visual inspection for the estimate. This does not mean that it is a full and final payment. Take your vehicle in to a Dealership you trust, they will will have to start a teardown and will contact the insurance company for a supplement. A wiring haness is considered and OEM saftey item because it controls so many engine functions and a repair failure can cause and accident or fire. Speak with your adjuster after a supplement is completed if they say it can be repaired. Most adjusters have very limited automotive knowledge, and bring up the safety issue that way it will be documented in the file. The last thing an insurance compay wants is a claim that due to their insistance of repair causes a fire or accident because the exposure is huge. Just dont threaten to get a lawyer because adjusters hear that every day, this claim is different because you are the insured so they have a contractual obligation with you. If the rodent damage is minor and the OEM states that the harness can be repaired and there is a published repair proceedure, it will be repaired, but if the OEM states it cannot, the insurance company is obligated to replace.

In the same spot I parked my old Tacoma for 20 years.
First thing, the appraiser only did a preliminay visual inspection for the estimate. This does not mean that it is a full and final payment. Take your vehicle in to a Dealership you trust, they will will have to start a teardown and will contact the insurance company for a supplement. A wiring haness is considered and OEM saftey item because it controls so many engine functions and a repair failure can cause and accident or fire. Speak with your adjuster after a supplement is completed if they say it can be repaired. Most adjusters have very limited automotive knowledge, and bring up the safety issue that way it will be documented in the file. The last thing an insurance compay wants is a claim that due to their insistance of repair causes a fire or accident because the exposure is huge. Just dont threaten to get a lawyer because adjusters hear that every day, this claim is different because you are the insured so they have a contractual obligation with you. If the rodent damage is minor and the OEM states that the harness can be repaired and there is a published repair proceedure, it will be repaired, but if the OEM states it cannot, the insurance company is obligated to replace.
Good info thanks

Ok so it took almost a week but the truck is fixed. I saw it mid stream and it didn't look like a fun job. First time using my insurance for work. Till now always on someone's else's dime if you get what I'm saying. I had $500.00 deductible but the shop only wanted ruffly have that for my part. Am I a party to insurance fraud because of that? Serious question.

Last edited:
Ok so it took almost a week but the truck is fixed. I saw it mid stream and it didn't look like a fun job. First time using my insurance for work. Till now always on someone's else's dime if you get what I'm saying. I had $500.00 deductible but the shop only wanted ruffly have that for my part. Am I a party to insurance fraud because of that? Serious question.
The insurance company probably gave the dealer a check for the repair - $500, and the final total was a bit less than the initial estimate. Technically, you are always supposed to contribute $500 towards the repair, but...

Rodent damage '19 Tacoma $5351.14 ins quote. According to the dealership harness complete must be replaced. Anybody ever done one? Does this sound reasonable? They say the harness alone is over $2k. Only three or four wires severed but in a bad place to get to installed.

If this was on my dime, I would have just bypassed the damaged wires with new wire spliced in. Even if they were chewed in a bad place, the wires go some place more accessible where they can be reached. $5,000 vs. $5 in wire and solder and 5 to 10 hours of your time is a no brainer.

Ford does not sell the PCM connectors for that application, so it had to be a harness.
They don't make them either. Most connectors have manufacturers part numbers on them and are made by Amphenol, Aptiv, JAE, JST, Molex, TE Connectivity to name a few. I've bought them from places like Mouser for a fraction of what a dealer wants if they even could look up the correct Ford part number.

Back