Replacing all lug nuts with wheel locks and issues

The frame, chassis or unibody won't crack. If it does you're better off if they steal the wheels so you don't get killed driving it.

Wheel locks don't prevent wheel thefts at all. Thieves just take a socket just smaller than the wheel lock, hammer it on, and steal the wheel anyway :sneaky:
Theft is all relative. Regardless of where or what it is. If you park a new or newer car on a urban street or parking lot at night, your risk for theft and vandalism is far greater, than if you live in a low crime area and park inside a locked garage.

Wheel locks will help in that regard. Realistically, who is going to be beating socket wrenches on to wheel locks, in a crowded Wal-Mart parking lot in broad daylight, while you're inside picking up a few rolls of toilet paper? Possible, sure. Probable, no. Wheel locks will help in sending thieves to another car that doesn't have them.

You hear much the same about gun safes. "All the thief has to do is this or that." But the fact is your guns are better protected in a safe, than they are without being in one. No, they're not "theft proof". But they make taking them far more time consuming, difficult, and risky.

Insurance statistics show most suburban home burglaries are committed by kids who gain entry through windows or other easy access points. And they're in the house for less than 2 minutes. "Smash & Grab" type hits. They don't break into homes carrying railroad bars and Acetylene torches, just in case they find a gun safe inside.

Point being, these devices do help more by having them, than not. They're relatively cheap, easy to install, and make theft that much more of a PITA for worthless no goods who are attempting it.

Hah. Long day at the office man, brain is broken.
You’re right it’s 20. And I’m not sure about that, I assume all cars have frames. I didn’t necessarily check if it was unibody before buying it or not. Not sure anyone does check that really.

And that’s why I came onto this forum to ask lmao . It is a forum right ?
99% of cars are unibodies the only vehicles that use cab over frame are pick ups and the crown vic. Youre fears of a cracked frame are ludicrous and non sensical. If thieves want your car or parts they will get it. Ive worked fire and theft claims since 2007. Thieves are opportunists, they look for easy targets.

Yes, in Chicago when they steal wheels they don’t even put it on bricks or wood. So I wouldn’t even want to deal with repairing a car that was sitting on its frame and suspension bare.
What part of Chicago are you in? Can you move to a different neighborhood where you can park it in a garage, or is it street parking only?

The best solution to all this problem it just to drive a very old car that nobody likes or wants.

The other idea is to put a brick of C4 w/ a nice remote and cook some crooks.

I have a Silverado with factory 22 inchers. They list for $530 each from GM. Came with a locking lug on each wheel from the factory. Crazy as it sounds I make it a point not to drive this truck to any large population areas just for this reason and also because the catalytic converters look like they would be easy to get to because of the height of the truck. Sad, but true.

Have these on both of my vehicles. ;)
1645808704967.jpg

Im in englewood, where Chief keef is from. Currently just graduated and I’m working in engineering, so saving up to get out of here and go somewhere nicer.

I do have a back parking spot with a big steel automatic gate where I used to park my car. But the neighbors garbage cans are so filthy they bring rats and they have caused $3500 of damage to my car ( which insurance paid for luckily ) .

Last edited:
The frame, chassis or unibody won't crack. If it does you're better off if they steal the wheels so you don't get killed driving it.
Really? You don’t think there would be at least some damage to the bottom of the car given that there’s 3500 pounds sitting on the bare ground onto the undercarriage components of the car ?

I have a Silverado with factory 22 inchers. They list for $530 each from GM. Came with a locking lug on each wheel from the factory. Crazy as it sounds I make it a point not to drive this truck to any large population areas just for this reason and also because the catalytic converters look like they would be easy to get to because of the height of the truck. Sad, but true.
Yeah I had an old ass car that got the cat stolen but never bothered getting another one since it was older than 1994 and in Illinois you don’t need smog if it’s older than thay

Really? You don’t think there would be at least some damage to the bottom of the car given that there’s 3500 pounds sitting on the bare ground onto the undercarriage components of the car ?
Sure that is possible if it is low enough, but the frame, chassis or unibody wont crack.

Sure that is possible if it is low enough, but the frame, chassis or unibody wont crack.
Yeah and I really ain’t tryna go through fixing this and that and this in that for the suspension. Like the diffs , control arms, brakes, etc. Would rather they steal the car and get a payout from insurance. Insurance would pay for the damage too if it was left on the ground , but I don’t wanna go through all that drama bringing it to shop A and then having shop B do this and that lol

You should see what they do at the junkyard. They basically pick up cars with a bulldozer as a fork lift. Goes right under and picks it up by the unibody. Cars aren't that fragile, they have to be able to survive the potholes on the road even at 60+. The steel car is probably more likely to do damage to the asphalt which is softer, unless you're on concrete.

I know the area you're at. You can definitely do that if your car looks normal and the wheels are stock and boring to deter even more. The ones that do spend some sort of money for special sockets tend to hit nicer cars.

Back