Replaced copper spark plugs

03 Pontiac vibe 181k miles
Out: copper NGK BKR5E-11, 26k miles
In: copper AC Delco 41-629

The car was running fine, decided to replace them as they are coppers, looks like they could’ve gone longer, gap still in spec. I did use a tiny bit of anti seize on the new plug threads as I have a tube in my tool box.
DEF84631-F29C-4D1C-BC27-37DFE91067EE.jpeg

Old vs New
7444BE78-C3A1-4576-8690-4680CFAFAF74.jpeg

I bet this is a waste spark system, like my Saturn S Series.

Two plugs fire backward…

Copper is best…

I would have run NGK V-Powers, one heat range colder, BKR6E-11

What exactly are copper spark plugs??? I thought "all" spark plugs made have copper inside for conduction and sealing I believe.

I replace the plugs in our Mazda every 70K with NGK coppers. They create no misfires and am confident that it will perform every time I drive it. I just like simple copper plugs.

Coppers are the only thing that I run in my 03 ram 5.7l. The back 4 are such a pain to get to I wanted to run Iridium but was warned by several mechanics that the coppers run the best with my ignition system.

What are Copper Core Spark Plugs?​

Copper Core Location on Spark Plug
Most spark plugs contain a copper core for increased conductivity, improved heat control and improved resistance to fouling.
"Copper spark plugs" is a term mistakenly used for a standard or traditional plug. Due to its soft nature and low melting point, using copper as an outer material would result in a plug that only lasted minutes.
A standard spark plug uses a nickel-alloy outer material fused to a copper core. Some plugs also include a coating or pad of precious metals to extend plug life. As a general rule of thumb, all spark plugs utilize a copper core, but copper is not used as an electrode material.

What are Copper Core Spark Plugs?​

Copper Core Location on Spark Plug
Most spark plugs contain a copper core for increased conductivity, improved heat control and improved resistance to fouling.
"Copper spark plugs" is a term mistakenly used for a standard or traditional plug. Due to its soft nature and low melting point, using copper as an outer material would result in a plug that only lasted minutes.
A standard spark plug uses a nickel-alloy outer material fused to a copper core. Some plugs also include a coating or pad of precious metals to extend plug life. As a general rule of thumb, all spark plugs utilize a copper core, but copper is not used as an electrode material.
That is correct. I do recall that Bosch Platinums are solid platinum all the way thru unless that has changed over the years. I remember that was an advertising feature they used.

Tips are plain copper, no fancy coating to improve wear…
They’re actually a nickel alloy, copper has too low of a melting point to be used in a combustion chamber.

Coppers are the only thing that I run in my 03 ram 5.7l. The back 4 are such a pain to get to I wanted to run Iridium but was warned by several mechanics that the coppers run the best with my ignition system.
I was told the same thing for my 2011 (different system from yours but still had copper plugs) but I switched to iridium plugs with no issues at all.

I would of stayed with NGK.
I would have as well, particular the OE double-platinum or iridium long life type. Something about that plug tipped me off that Denso or NGK did make that plug to GM specs - including the black oxide shell vs. the trivalent chrome plating Denso/NGK uses.

The 4-digit code on one of the wrench flats is a tip-off to Denso/NGK. Usually, AC Delco copper/single platinum plugs were Champions.

OE is iridium. Why didn't you use iridium? :unsure:

ACDelco Iridium often has a huge rebate, making them a VERY good price, in line with cheap copper crap. The ACDelco iridiums for your Vibe are Denso iridium. The cheap ones you got are probably Champion, and that black thread means you need anti-seize.

rebate is $3 on ACDelco iridum

Back