Rental Cars in France

We're planning a 2 couple car rental in France next spring. The last time we were in France we rented a Renault Megane manual transmission + diesel engine hatchback.

Are rental cars now mostly: manuals or automatics? diesels or gasoline engine?

How does the price of gasoline compare with diesel fuel?

We would want a mid size car that seats 4 adults with room for a bit of luggage (probably 4 carry-ons and a picnic lunch with wine of course). Suggested vehicle? Suggested rental agency?

I’ve been happy with sixt both in the USA and Europe.

There tend to be a lot of Hyundai and Nissan midsize SUVs in rental fleets over there, some diesel, some not. Ive also had BMW wagons quite a few times, which are really nice.

Last time in France, ai had a diesel, MT Renault twingo. Barely fit my wife, myself, and our luggage. But it was a fun little car for windy French backroads…

They do have small minivan people mover type vehicles there. Like a Mazda5 and diesel and a manual transmission. Do you have two people that can drive a manual? If not probably best to ask for an automatic.

Be prepared to pay more for rental car insurance than the rental car. Regrettably, the rental car insurance is the right thing to do when renting a car in Europe. Get the best package,, and be prepared to pay a ransom for the insurance.

In the USA I never take out insurance on car rentals..in Europe I always do......

They do have small minivan people mover type vehicles there. Like a Mazda5 and diesel and a manual transmission. Do you have two people that can drive a manual? If not probably best to ask for an automatic.
All 4 of us can drive a manual. Only thing is my friend's wife who wants to be the primary driver hasn't driven a manual for some time. I'm very comfortable with a manual but I don't really want to be the primary driver. I find when I'm driving in a strange area I pretty much concentrate on the driving and don't see very much. But driving in rural France is pretty easy and the distances aren't great so I could do it.

We plan to tour the Normandy Battle sites and also visit Dieppe and the Vimy Memorial.

Do you recall the brand of that small minivan like a Mazda5? My daughter has a Mazda5 with a manual transmission and I find it very easy to drive.

A few years ago in Europe, we rented a Peugeot 5008 from Sixt. As their largest option, it had to be specially reserved in advance, but worked out very well, with loads of cargo space (despite modest exterior dimensions), frugal to operate, and relieved the need to rent two cars for five people and checked luggage. It had a 1.6l turbodiesel with a six-speed manual, happy to cruise all day at 80mph.

On a different leg, had a Seat Alhambra for a spontaneous day rental, which they had on hand at the location (at the central train station). It was similarly spacious, and had an auto (DSG) gearbox.

In doing research beforehand, a good CUV/MPV trumped med/large executive sedans and even many SUVs in cargo space.

Their "large" vehicles are more like our "mid," but the only time exterior size became a possible issue was in some older parts of cities, or old towns we strayed into. The 5008 also turned out to be fortuitous in that respect. More luggage space than an X3 or X5, but exterior sized like the X3. City centers and old towns might carry entry restrictions anyway (like the infamous ZTLs in Italy), or keep vehicle traffic confined to remote parking lots.

I doubt the economics of their fuel taxes have changed, so I'd assume diesel still holds the advantage in that respect.

I'd look through the current offerings from the various rental agencies and see how they jibe with your needs. Doesn't look like Sixt offer the Pug any longer. But the Skoda Kodiaq could be a substitute. If there is lots of driving involved, a larger vehicle will be more comfortable.

Only rented a car once in my life. Declined the rental insurance. Called my insurance company and they said I was covered. I would buy it now, if I rented again. This was in the USA.

My friend made a believer out of me, when she moved from IA to WA. Rented a moving truck and her Son drove it to WA. Few miles from WA and he went under a low bridge. Took the top off the truck and I saw the pic. They took it after hours to a drop off point. She never even got a phone call from the truck rental outfit. That impressed me! Would have cost me $500 at least for my normal deductible from my insurance.

A rental car in france could be anything at this point. Most of the cheaper rental cars will be manuals but i think there are as much gasoline as diesel rentals cars now.

Gasoline is slightly more expensive that diesel here. Diesel is the more economical option.

@Superflan has more experience than me with rentals. :D

I've rented a car twice in france, once we took the train to Caen then toured normandy beaches etc and mont st micheal, then another time out of CDG east to Verdun, bastogne, Luxembourg, waterloo, dunkirk. Both times the cheapest option was manual diesel cars.. really quite reasonable too (although this was 5 years ago now) My biggest problem was figuring out which pump was the correct fuel, there was like 6 different handles and colors, i didnt have a translation app at the time and had to ask each time which was the correct fuel after trying to smell the nozzles.

If you are starting your trip from Paris Id recommend taking the train to Caen then renting there, and mont st micheal is well worth the drive its not far. There is also numerous smaller museums of restored bunkers and atlantic wall emplacements (such as Azville and Crisbecq not far from Utah beach, st mere eglise and airborne museum.

*also they were auto stop start manuals, with shifter in nuetral when you take your foot off the clutch it dies, then when you push the clutch back in it starts...was kinda cool!

If you are starting your trip from Paris Id recommend taking the train to Caen then renting there, and mont st micheal is well worth the drive its not far. There is also numerous smaller museums of restored bunkers and atlantic wall emplacements (such as Azville and Crisbecq not far from Utah beach, st mere eglise and airborne museum.
Yes we're planning to take the train from Paris to Caen. I really don't want to drive in Paris.

We plan on touring all the Normandy landing beaches (I bought a brick at the Juno Beach memorial and I want to see it), see the Pegasus Bridge where D-day started with gliders landing to seize the bridge and secure the eastern flank for the landings to come a few hours later, and since we're in the area see the famous tapestry at Bayeux. The 1942 battle at Dieppe is also a very big deal for Canadians so we must go there (almost 1,000 Canadians killed or severely wounded there). And we'll want to see the Vimy memorial which recognizes all the Canadians killed in the Great War. The Vimy Memorial is one of the few such memorials in France the Germans left alone during WWII.

The 1942 battle at Dieppe is also a very big deal for Canadians so we must go there (almost 1,000 Canadians killed or severely wounded there). And we'll want to see the Vimy memorial which recognizes all the Canadians killed in the Great War. The Vimy Memorial is one of the few such memorials in France the Germans left alone during WWII.
In 2005 I toured the Canadian Battlefields of WWI and WWII with Canadian University students. A very, very humbling experience- you will likely leave with tears seeing in-person the ultimate sacrifice the Canadians made.

Bény-sur-Mer Canadian War Cemetery has 2048 Canadian Soldiers laid to rest. I am sure this will be on your visit/ pay respect list while in Normandy-

Bény-sur-Mer_Canadian_War_Cemetery.JPG
2560px-Cimetière_canadien_Bény-sur-Mer_2018-oct_-_1.jpg
2560px-Cimetière_canadien_Bény-sur-Mer_2018-oct_-_4.jpg
2560px-Cimetière_canadien_Bény-sur-Mer_2018-oct_-_2.jpg
Cimetière_canadien_Bény-sur-Mer_2018-oct_-_5.jpg
Rguenard.jpg

Do you recall the brand of that small minivan like a Mazda5? My daughter has a Mazda5 with a manual transmission and I find it very easy to drive.
Unless you view cars as appliances, I'd try to rent something French, or at least a European that isn't sold here. A Mazda5? Meh. Now do as I say not as I do, because I remember going with my father years ago and getting a Neon rental. Had that thing to 200 on a long downhill so it wasn't totally boring.

Rent a manual/diesel Peugeot and tell us what you think!
Sure I'd try a Peugeot. We rented a Renault Megane (the hatchback version) with a diesel and a 6 speed manual the last time we were in France. We really liked it.

The only problem with it was I couldn't figure out how to put the headlights on low beams. We had fog lights or high beams. The manual had about 6 pages of instructions on how to use the headlights - all in French - so they didn't help me.

Renaults were not sold in Canada so when we got home I test drove a VW Golf Diesel with a manual transmission thinking it would be similar. But I didn't like it nearly as well.

In the USA I never take out insurance on car rentals..in Europe I always do......
I have never taken out rental car insurance. We always inspect a rental car carefully and note any scrapes or dents. We pay by credit card and our credit card provides collision damage insurance.

When we were in France we were rear ended while stopped in traffic. The Audi that ran into us (driven by an English guy) made a couple of scrapes on the back bumper. We took down one another's details but then thought maybe we should report the accident to the police. We couldn't find a police station in that little town so we asked at the Shell station. The lady there said some words enthusiastically and repeatedly. We didn't understand.

When we got to our destination we checked with an outlet for the same rental company. They said I had to fill out the "Constat Amiable" with the other driver which details what we, the drivers, agreed about the accident - things like who was driving, what part of our vehicle struck or was struck by what part of the other vehicle, which vehicles were moving, and things like that. They insisted that it must be filled out jointly (meaning by both drivers) within 24 hours of the accident and each party must keep a copy. A copy of the form could be found in the glove compartment of our rental car (and there was one).

The other driver was hundreds of kms away by now. Then they found out we had paid with a credit card and hadn't bought collision damage waiver insurance. Suddenly the story changed completely - "Don't worry about it" they insisted.

We called our credit card company that night. They said they expected to be billed for repairs but, "Don't worry about it."

When we returned the car we showed them the scrapes. They noticed that we had recorded a few scrapes on the back bumper when we picked up the car. "One scrape, two scrapes, what's the difference? Don't worry about it." they said. And that was the end of it.

The moral: carefully record all scrapes and dents when you pick up a rental car.

Reactions: GON
The only time that i rented in France was on business. It was an automatic. The biggest issue was returning the car to DeGaulle. The rental agencies were all closed and the section in the garage for my agency was full. I left the car double parked with all the other rental car returns for some other agency and dropped the keys in a return slot. Never heard a word about it after that.

Back