Reminder to inspect oil bottles when buying at walmart.

How the hell do you 'know' that?

There are tons of greasy walmart managers that support this kind of reselling.

Any store reselling anything has the duty to make sure it was not tampered with in any way.

More likely the person at the returns desk just didn't check or just straight up doesn't know. Anything returned should be checked thoroughly. I recall a few years ago a local electronics chain had some scam group return a whole bunch of iPads to different locations that had been removed, the boxes filled with a bag of sand for the correct weight, and then the boxes were resealed in plastic.

More likely the person at the returns desk just didn't check or just straight up doesn't know. Anything returned should be checked thoroughly. I recall a few years ago a local electronics chain had some scam group return a whole bunch of iPads to different locations that had been removed, the boxes filled with a bag of sand for the correct weight, and then the boxes were resealed in plastic.
Either way - the store bears all of the responsibility to check All items before reselling them.
Oil is easy - - - all bottle have seals on the lids.
Just like other products - - - would they resell tylenol missing the seal?

Dishonest or lazy employees - - - - one is not better than the other.

Either way - the store bears all of the responsibility to check All items before reselling them.

They shouldn't take it back in the first place. That's the point.

If the returns dept consistently sucks, then sure that falls back on management. But you're not going to get me to believe a single store with millions in sales is purposefully putting used motor oil back on their shelf instead of losing the $15.

They shouldn't take it back in the first place. That's the point.

If the returns dept consistently sucks, then sure that falls back on management. But you're not going to get me to believe a single store with millions in sales is purposefully putting used motor oil back on their shelf instead of losing the $15.
My Walmart has changed their return policy just a bit they will only do returns on oil for 90 days now. I've yet to find any opened and used motor oil in my store. But I have found Super Tech filters in Fram XG boxes!

My Walmart has changed their return policy just a bit they will only do returns on oil for 90 days now. I've yet to find any opened and used motor oil in my store. But I have found Super Tech filters in Fram XG boxes!

Filter manufacturers going to have to start putting tamper proof seals on boxes probably. This stuff is pretty common.

We all pay for it in the end. Nothing hard to understand about that either.

The amount of people that send their batteries back prematurely Vs the amount of batteries that actually failed and need to be warrantied is likely negligible—a rounding error in the accounting.

I just fail to see how this isolated incident warrants someone paying more for the same product.

Also, I hope the OP told someone at WM about the issue instead of leaving it on the shelf.

The amount of people that send their batteries back prematurely Vs the amount of batteries that actually failed and need to be warrantied is likely negligible—a rounding error in the accounting.

I just fail to see how this isolated incident warrants someone paying more for the same product.

Also, I hope the OP told someone at WM about the issue instead of leaving it on the shelf.
Well, rounding error or not, if you do so simply to defraud Walmart its theft. Eventually the cost will be born by everyone, even if its a fraction of a penny. To some Its OK because Walmart has lots of money. I don't agree with those people.

Well, rounding error or not, if you do so simply to defraud Walmart its theft. Eventually the cost will be born by everyone, even if its a fraction of a penny. To some Its OK because Walmart has lots of money. I don't agree with those people.
Yup, I agree, it’s a trashy thing to do.

Reactions: hrv
The person was just testing the 0w20 oil by using it for the buggy, no big deal.

Jokes aside, it can happen anywhere. I would take it off the shelf and throw it in a random section so no one falls victim to it.

Besides the fact that this particular bottle is obviously used oil and was not even filled all the way by the scammer.... is all the Castrol Edge $25 there? Its over $30 at my local Walmart.

I also buy my oil (among other places) from Walmart. Sometimes online, and sometimes in the store. But obviously you have to watch out for this stuff. It happens with everything including oil and filters. People put used oil or less valuable parts back in the container and then return it...

or dishonest shoppers...

Good tip, thanks for posting. I buy most of my stuff online, or from one of the boutique custom shops. I also shop from Amazon, but not as much as in the past. Their customer service has really gone downhill, and the likelihood of getting previously purchased parts is higher these days’.,

Besides the fact that this particular bottle is obviously used oil and was not even filled all the way by the scammer.... is all the Castrol Edge $25 there? Its over $30 at my local Walmart.

I also buy my oil (among other places) from Walmart. Sometimes online, and sometimes in the store. But obviously you have to watch out for this stuff. It happens with everything including oil and filters. People put used oil or less valuable parts back in the container and then return it...
Yes it was $25 at that time.

As a Canadian I refuse to shop at Walmart. The stores here are often disgustingly dirty and the automotive section looks like it was just ransacked from black Friday. Canadian tire always has sales and perfectly neat shelves where you don't have to dig around.
Same here in the States !!

Oil is all I buy there….if they have any !!🤨🤨

Back