Rem 870 vs. Moss 500

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't ask this in a classical "which is better" kind of way. That's been done to death for decades. But, rather, being relatively inexperienced at shotgunning, I wanted to hear from those more seasoned at it how significant the mechanical differences really are.

Safety: Moss (tang) vs. Rem (crossbolt). I think this is personal preference, and of no real consequence. I'm a RH shooter and can use either one just as effectively.

Slide release: Moss (behind the trigger guard) vs. Rem (forward of the trigger guard). I'm very used to the slide release on the Mossberg, behind the trigger guard. I can reach it with my middle finger and not have to adjust my grip. The Remington requires me to adjust my grip to get to the slide release. But is that significant? In the real world, either clay shooting or in a home defense situation, is one really going to have to manually release the slide for any reason? It's much easier for me to get to the Mossberg's slide release, but if there's no real-world use for it other than to unload the gun at the end of the day, then it probably doesn't matter either way.

Extractor: Moss (two) vs. Rem (one). Aside from the older steel extractor on the Rem vs. what is apparently now a MIM part, is there any real-world benefit to having two extractors? I suppose there's no end to the number of extractors you could put on a bolt in theory...does anyone with an 870 wish they had two extractors instead of one?

Ejector: Moss (screw in) vs. Rem (welded on). The Mossberg's design is user serviceable -- if one has to replace an ejector, one can do so at home on the work bench or even in the field. I guess the Remington requires the welds to be drilled out or something...the ejector basically has to be replaced by a gunsmith or the Remington factory. Again...does that really matter? Has anyone with an 870 had to have their ejector replaced? Part of the reason I ask is because I'm looking at used guns as well as new, and I wouldn't know how to spot an ejector problem (if they ever occur) without shooting it.

I do like how the Mossbergs have a drilled-and-tapped receiver for a rail, if one ever wanted to use one. I don't care about steel vs. aluminum on the receiver -- I think both guns lock the bolt to the steel barrel, anyway. I highly prefer the Remington's extendable magazine tube, whether you buy it from the factory that way or do it yourself to an existing gun. The Mossberg's magazine screw design allows for no magazine extension.

It seems like my preferred gun doesn't exist. On paper, I like everything about the Mossberg except for the fact that you can't extend the magazine. And I'm looking at 20 ga models, so the 590, with its extended magazine tube, is the wrong gauge for me. Maybe I'm too stuck on that? The 500 that I'm selling is a 7+1 model, and I really don't want to lose 2 rounds and gown down to a 5+1 or even less. Both Mossberg and Remington have nice Bantam/youth models that I like. I know I can always lengthen the tube on the Remington. With the Mossberg, the only way to get a 7 round magazine is with an 18.5/20" cylinder bore barrel, and maybe I want a slightly longer vent rib with better sight options to add to the versatility of the gun... Decisions, decisions...

Any input on the mechanical differences above is certainly appreciated.

I own both and prefer the 870. I like the feel and the way it shoots better. Both are reliable, and the 500 has a lot of rounds through it, never a hiccup. Having said that the next shotgun I buy will be a Benelli SuperNova.

I've owned and shot a Remington 870 Wingmaster since 1976. I've put thousands of rounds through it in that time without a single malfunction. I've recently, (last 5 years), added both a Mossberg 500, as well as a Mossberg 590 A-1 Mil-Spec to my shotgun collection. To be perfectly honest, both are capable of doing anything I need done with a pump action shotgun. Both are excellent, well designed and manufactured examples of the slide action shotgun. A shooter could not go wrong with either.

I too prefer the 870 over the 500. Hard to explain exactly why. But something about the 870 is nicer. That said I own a Benelli super nova and prefer it over the other 2

Another thing for guys with both: do you find the spring-loaded shell elevator on the 870 more difficult to work with than the one that retracts on the 500? I've seen this noted, and I can see how constantly having to push against an elevator that's trying to spring back and trap your thumb would be more difficult. Not having ever used one, however, maybe it's really a non-issue. Thoughts?

Generally speaking, the present 870 Express (if that is what you are thinking) is a shell of what it used to be. You can get better feedback on shotgunworld.com.

The 500 is a workhorse of a gun. I guess it will boil down to how the gun fits you (of primary importance), and preferred location of the safety.

The Mossberg can be outfitted with other barrels, for less money if that is a future concern.

On paper, the Mossberg has better ergonomics and specs, as you pointed out. Both can be effective combat tools in the right hands. I personally wouldn't worry about "only" having 5 rounds in a tube, as you can stick a shell carrier on the butt. Rack a shell, load a shell, shoot two shells, load two shells is how I was trained and how I practice. The gun stays full all the time other than when you are shooting it and it would be a strange scenario for sure to go through 5+1 rounds of buckshot.

If you are not married to any platform, I would seriously look at a semi auto 20 gauge such as the Mossberg SA-20 tactical.

201111814423-sa-20_targets_f.jpg

I'll weigh in with a different opinion.. I have both and I prefer the model 500 over a 870 express. I like the tang safety and to me the 500 is smother and generally works better. Now if you are going to step up to a 870 wingmaster I'd say go with that. Take a look at a Browning BPS while you are at it.. All steel and I'd say a big step up from either the Remington or the Mossberg.

Originally Posted By: mjk
Generally speaking, the present 870 Express (if that is what you are thinking) is a shell of what it used to be. You can get better feedback on shotgunworld.com.

In general, I'm looking at new guns, just because both can be purchased at very reasonable prices. If I find a great deal on a used one, I'll certainly look at it.

Originally Posted By: mjk
The Mossberg can be outfitted with other barrels, for less money if that is a future concern.

It can....from what I've seen, though, only the shorter cylinder bore barrels mate up with the 7 round magazine tube. If I buy a Mossberg with the capacity that I'd like (7+1), my choices in barrels to go along with the long magazine tube are severely limited, and all I'd get from the factory is a short cylinder bore barrel. And I get it -- few hunters or clay shooters walk around with 8 rounds in their gun, so I recognize the reasoning behind it.

I'm thinking that I'm making too much of the 2 extra rounds of capacity, and if I look for a 5+1 gun, my selection opens up dramatically, both in guns to buy and barrel options down the road.

I've shot both a fair bit and prefer the 500. The release as well as the safety are both part of the reason why.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I personally wouldn't worry about "only" having 5 rounds in a tube...

Thx -- that's sort of what I'm coming around to.

Budget for this is limited. I'd like to essentially trade my 12 ga 500 for a 20 ga *something*. Either directly, or via cash sale then cash purchase. That means the nicer Wingmasters and the like are generally out, unless I find a screaming deal on something used. I held and handled both a 500 Bantam and an 870 Express Compact at Gander Mountain the other night. Honestly, neither one felt much different to me...both felt about the same. The Mossberg's slide was smooth, but had the Mossy wobble to it. The Remington's slide was pretty notchy, and didn't feel all that high quality. It also had synthetic furniture, which made it feel cheaper. I thought before that I wanted synthetic furniture to bang around with, but I may want to keep the wood.

Thanks for all the feedback, and keep it coming. It's helpful to hear from those with more seat time behind a shotgun than I have.

Take a look at the nova and super nova shot guns next time you stop in a store. There was many small things that sold me on them over your two listed. One is the easy way to extract the shell from the chamber with out loading another round

Having used both 870s and 500s, and as an owner of a Mossberg 500 - my opinion is that the 870 feels more refined but the 500 feels more durable. I also like the finish on the 500 over the 870 Express (870 Wingmaster over both).

Both will get the job done - when making a selection between these two, personal preference is the biggest factor.

Originally Posted By: nwjones18
Now if you are going to step up to a 870 wingmaster I'd say go with that. Take a look at a Browning BPS while you are at it.. All steel and I'd say a big step up from either the Remington or the Mossberg.

I have a 28 ga. Wingmaster and 16 ga. BPS (yea, I'm weird). Both are fine guns, but I cannot recommend the BPS for a defensive weapon. There is no way to load a shell directly into the chamber from an open bolt. You have to load the shells into the magazine and then pump to charge the weapon. That's a fatal flaw for a defensive weapon IMHO. It's also easier to short stroke a bottom ejection gun. If the OP was looking for a gun strictly for field use, I'd highly recommend a BPS. It's just not suited to home defense and is even a pain for clay sports.

My choice for defense is the 870 Marine Magnum.

Ed

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I would seriously look at a semi auto 20 gauge

Smart man.

The Mossberg SA-20 is probably my choice of semi-autos, and is high on my list. I wanted to get an idea from 870 users on some of the mechanical aspects of it (because I'm already familiar with the 500) if I stayed with a pump, but I have not discounted semi-autos as well.

I read that the SA-20's ghost ring site and ramped red front post is the bees' knees.

I only know the hunting and competition (clays) side of shotguns. In those areas the 870 Wingmaster is king when it comes to pump guns.

Defensive weapon ? IMO the 500 and 870 are on even playing ground, go with what feels best for you.

I have both. 870 Wingmaster as well as an 870 Express Magnum slug gun and a Mossberg 535 for waterfowl/ other shotgun duties.

I am a lefty and prefer the safety on the 500 series, but like the smoothness of the 870.

Both are great guns. The Mossberg being a little better of a value IMO. Get what feels better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back