Reliable Brand Washer / Dryer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whirlpool front loader washer and front load dryer (gas) purchased new in 2004. Dryer is still going strong. Washer lasted 9 years IIRC and repalced with same Whirlpool front loader but updated model. Three kids and me using it heavily. I would buy Whirlpool again.

Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by diyjake
Originally Posted by JMJNet
The jury is still out on the front load washer???
I have not heard good thing about it except for the cosmetic look.

I know it is not helpful.
IMO, the old school front loading with a middle agitator is still the best.

Isn't the agitator bad on clothes?

Bad how?

agitators can be rougher on clothes and cause more damage due to more virulent washing action

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Speed Queen. You probably won't find them at HD or Lowes, but they'll be better than anything you'll find at HD and Lowes.

That's right. We just bought a Speed Queen from a locally owned shop. They sell other brands but they claim SQ is far and away the best quality, but they sell for a higher price.

Originally Posted by KenshinHimura
Whirlpool (Whirlpool, maytag, roper, admiral, some Kenmore, ect). Washers and Dryers both built in Ohio.

Electrolux/Frigidaire. Washers and Dryers are all made in Mexico.

GE Most washers are made in the USA
Not 100% certain on this, but I think the more accurate statement here is "assembled in the US". I believe that a lot of the components are sourced "globally".

Originally Posted by KenshinHimura
We have a maytag dryer that is 11 years old and still going strong, only issue was lint trap felt fell off on first one. whirlpool sent new one on them.

Thankfully dryers have remained relatively simple. Ours is similar in age to yours and I've replaced the belt 2-3 times. It's a super common belt that Lowes, etc stock and before I knew I could get it there, the appliance parts store has them hanging right behind where the counter guys stand because they're so common. Less than $10. I did have to replace the fusible link a long time ago. I bought a 'kit' that included two links (one for electric, one for gas) and a heating element. I still have the heating element, just in case I need it one day.

Originally Posted by CKN

Yep-right up there with a vehicle with 200,000 miles on it-with the intent to drive it another 100,000 or so!

I haven't heard good stuff about LG-however-I have three Samsung appliances and they have been very reliable!

Whirlpool direct-drive is the Panther of washing machines, lol...

Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by diyjake
Isn't the agitator bad on clothes?

Bad how?

I think that's overrated. Is the idea that your clothes are twisted, stretched, etc ?? No idea. I think you'd have to run your washer with almost no water for that to really factor in. That said, our previous washer was a top-load, high-efficiency model with no agitator. I loved the water usage it offered - our bill decreased 25% after we got it. When it started dying, my wife had (2) "requirements" in a new washer, 1) agitator and 2) a fabric softener 'bowl'.

We have gotten good service with LG. One load per day on average for 10 years or so. An electric surge fried the control board so chose to replace the machine instead of the $240 board at such age. Now have a surge protector for it.

I do appreciate all of the feedback. I guess i'll be keeping my eye out for one of Whirlpool's brands. I would prefer a top load just have to convince my wife, she likes her front load washers/dryers.

All the brands seem to be the same anymore.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
The best make we have owned is Fisher Paykal. Pricey...
I have had good luck with Sears Kenmore as well; much friendlier prices.

Good luck.

Fisher Paykel is owned by the Chinese company Haier.

There was a year (or two) that Speed Queen changed their design but have sinced changed back to their "old" design. It is the only waher that I could adjust the water level myself. There are workarounds on YouTube.

I hated the washers that automatically determine the water level based on the amount of clothes you are washing. Clothes never got as clean. You need water and lots of it.

Anyways, I'd get a Speed Queen but make sure it is not the bad one. I think in 2018, Find a large Speed Queen Dealer.

Our new house came with a Speed Queen washer, it can do a full load in less than 30 minutes and I swear it gets my clothes cleaner than my old LG front loader.

My parents have a Samsung that has seen better days - the bearings are shot but it also needs a new front steel panel that's rusted through so a repair will destroy the panel.

It has a better track record than the Maytag Neptune that replaced it but I think I'll get them an LG or Maytag next time. Their neighbors(my adopted family) have an LG Tromm from 2008-2009 that has given them reliable service.

Plain Jane Whirlpool top loader with agitator. The modular design is much easier to work on than the old direct drive with the Godzilla cast iron gear box. No problems after seven years of daily use.

I bought a top load speed queen about five years ago from a local independent dealer. Simple old school washer with zero issues so far. Does a load in 25 minutes and has the old style dial no board. Not cheap or fancy but seems bullet proof so far.

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
Plain Jane Whirlpool top loader with agitator. The modular design is much easier to work on than the old direct drive with the Godzilla cast iron gear box. No problems after seven years of daily use.

Buy these in Amana, Roper or any other Whirlpool sub brands for rental properties. Seem to hold up well.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
The best make we have owned is Fisher Paykal. Pricey...
I have had good luck with Sears Kenmore as well; much friendlier prices.

Good luck.

Had one set of FP … washer kept losing the pump and when the technician told me the dryer had caused several fires I got rid of them.
6 year old Maytag Commercial Technology set at home. All good.
Have old school (knob) Whirlpool (Sears) at the condo. Honestly, I still like these.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey

On the modular one I had, the shift actuator died, twice in a year. Not impressed... Direct drive is much more reliable, IMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back