refreshing my Corvair

While in the states for 13 months waiting out the lockdowns, we had our house painted in Santa Cruz (Bolivia). When we got back I found that one of the painters was careless, and two corners of my Corvair, plus the trunk lid and hood had gotten in the way of his ladder or something else.

It still looked pretty good from 10 feet or so, (see video I posted a month ago), but it was no longer perfect, with two ladder damaged trim pieces, plus 3 other spots damaged over the years, the damage to the hood and trunk, some little rock chips in the front cove, and some little nicks here and there from parking lots since it was painted 13 years ago. So I decided to strip it, fix those things, and repaint.

So here it is. Same color, but added a pearl coat between the metallic and 3 coats clear. Plus a Graphene paint protection treatment. The graphene makes it very smooth and slippery, with great water rejection, and weekly dust comes off with a feather duster or wind.
stacks-image-69bcaf2.jpg
stacks-image-0a22a61.jpg
stacks-image-0943d0e.jpg
stacks-image-347e3be.jpg
stacks-image-505c905.jpg
stacks-image-c6351eb.jpg
stacks-image-e1918a0.jpg
stacks-image-5b553f4.jpg

damaged corner
stacks-image-f8b4f5e.jpg

Repaired corner
stacks-image-08c71fc.jpg

Amazing work! That is a very nice car. I had a neighbor who was really into Corvairs, and had 2 of them. Interesting cars for sure.

Are they rare in Bolivia?

Amazing work! That is a very nice car. I had a neighbor who was really into Corvairs, and had 2 of them. Interesting cars for sure.

Are they rare in Bolivia?
Very. I've heard rumors that there is one more in another city, but haven't seen it. I saw another advertised a couple of years ago in a shop near here, but much less complete than mine started, no power train, etc. And I found one abandoned when I was finishing up mine. I got my shift knob from it. Someone had cut it up to try to put a standard power plant in it. no doors or glass, etc.

How do you get parts for it if it is so rare in Bolivia?
Imported some on my containers of lubricants, and many more in my suitcases or those of friends. Restored lot, fabricated some. Check the link in my signature for the details.

Richard, that is a great car! I spent my mid teenage years working on all kinds of Vairs......Spyders, Greenbriers, Rampsides, Monzas, and even a few Corsa's. The shop owner who I worked for specialized in working on them. The local Chevy dealers would refer all Corvair work to us. They are getting to be an "up and comer collectible".

Richard, I really enjoyed your Corvair restoration series. I was very impressed with what your local fabricators could produce (things like a new windshield!).

And I've always been a big fan of Corvairs, though I do prefer the second series.

Wow, that's the best one I have seen in many years. I take it that is one of the very early years? I am somewhat familiar with the '64; your's is earlier, right?

Wow, that's the best one I have seen in many years. I take it that is one of the very early years? I am somewhat familiar with the '64; your's is earlier, right?
Yes, mine is the first year, 1960, although a March production, with several changes since the first few months.

tell me about those "basket weave" wheels. What were they on originally? very cool.
I believe the wheels are aftermarket, If I remember correctly, Ray's Racing, or something like that. I got them at a used tire and wheel stand at the car part market, and painted them. They look a lot like the original ones on my BMW (and still on my spare, but not the other four)

neat little cars they were! i was interested in them when gas got crazy years ago + driving up to a thou weekly on construction work + like VW bugs prolly good in Pa snow especially with SNOW tyres that i always used in older RWD cars as well as modern FWD's + used 4 on them!!

When I turned 16 in ‘68, I bought my first car. It was an abused ‘65 Monza that required a clutch, shocks, ball joints, speedometer, body work, and just about everything else you can think of. I towed it home for $300. I spent the whole summer making it into a good looking driver. Loved that car and learned a lot in the process.

Also, there was a classmate in town whose family owned a gas station/auto repair shop. He took a pre-65 and cut it in half behind the front seat and in front of the firewall. After welding it back together and doing the bodywork, he had a short two-seat Corvair that could get a little air under the front wheels by dumping the clutch. Crazy.

When I turned 16 in ‘68, I bought my first car. It was an abused ‘65 Monza that required a clutch, shocks, ball joints, speedometer, body work, and just about everything else you can think of. I towed it home for $300. I spent the whole summer making it into a good looking driver. Loved that car and learned a lot in the process.

Also, there was a classmate in town whose family owned a gas station/auto repair shop. He took a pre-65 and cut it in half behind the front seat and in front of the firewall. After welding it back together and doing the bodywork, he had a short two-seat Corvair that could get a little air under the front wheels by dumping the clutch. Crazy.
Yes, there are several "Shortys" around.

For those interested, I have retired and am now living in Palm Coast, Fl (just north of Daytona). My Corvair, Mini, and Dauphine are in a 40' container making the journey to my house there. As of this morning the ship is in a port in southern Chile. It will soon go through the straights of Magellan, up to Buenas Aires, then Brazil, etc., eventually passing the container off in the Caribbean to a Miami bound ship.

Back