Looking at a 2017 Accord V6...

Joined
Apr 13, 2013
Messages
7,881
Location
FL, USA
I am thinking of replacing my 2012 Accord, it runs like a top but has some issues with the paint. It looks spectacular for an 8 year old vehicle as I have been very meticulous with maintenance but unfortunately the paint appears to be very thin in spots. I purchased it 5 years ago and the paint did look neglected as most Taffeta White Honda products do. Single stage paint doesn't fare well when not properly maintained. I could see hologram marks all over the hood so I know the paint was polished at least once before my ownership. Since purchasing I have "polished" once with Meguiars Ultimate and the remaining yearly polishes were done with NuFinish (I presume less abrasive). Also, I only used finishing a compounding / polishing pad once or twice, the remaining polishes were completed with a wax application pad with a dual action polisher, the least aggressive process. Having said that, the paint is thin on the trunk lid and it worries me when the paint may fail. I also had some spots on the edge of the hood and trunk that I noticed last month where the paint was very brittle and was flaking off. Very small area that I touched up, and no one would ever notice. Again I just worry its a sign of things to come. So, I am looking for a new (to me) ride. Both of our cars are paid for which is a huge blessing, and we do live on a budget. So I am weighing options. This is one I am considering. I have always wanted to get back into a V6 Accord and from what I read the 9th gen drivetrain seems pretty reliable. It was also the last year of the V6 Accord. I found this Touring at a local dealer, wondering how these 9th gens hold up over time. I did read complaints of very thin paint which concerns me, but it seems White Orchid Pearl is the most affected with flaking etc. Another concern is the active dampers, is that a costly repair if they go or are they a non concern? Thanks in advance for any comments / advice. Also, what would be a fair price. This one does have 45K miles. Here is the Accord in question... Accord Touring
 
Joined
Dec 5, 2010
Messages
1,098
Location
MO
I had a 2015 accord LX, six speed manual transmission. Still to date the best car I've owned. I sold it in 2017 when we needed the van, I still regret it to this day. It's the same body style as your accord however four-cylinder not six. Overall incredible car, excellent mpg, great ride in both city and highway. As far as the one that you have linked to, I honestly think it's a little too much money for a three-year-old accord. I also think the 0% financing that all the manufacturers are throwing around will help bring a new one down into near used price when you factor in the interest savings. Don't count out a new ride during these unprecedented times.
 

gregk24

Thread starter
Joined
Apr 13, 2013
Messages
7,881
Location
FL, USA
Originally Posted by FirstNissan
I had a 2015 accord LX, six speed manual transmission. Still to date the best car I've owned. I sold it in 2017 when we needed the van, I still regret it to this day. It's the same body style as your accord however four-cylinder not six. Overall incredible car, excellent mpg, great ride in both city and highway. As far as the one that you have linked to, I honestly think it's a little too much money for a three-year-old accord. I also think the 0% financing that all the manufacturers are throwing around will help bring a new one down into near used price when you factor in the interest savings. Don't count out a new ride during these unprecedented times.
Yes. If I do decide to move forward with a car purchase, that is on the table also. For new, I am looking into the VW Jetta SE or R-Line, though the sunroof concerns me longevity speaking. I just know that resale plummets with VW, we own one. Also, likely it would not be as reliable as a Honda.
 

gregk24

Thread starter
Joined
Apr 13, 2013
Messages
7,881
Location
FL, USA
Originally Posted by FirstNissan
I had a 2015 accord LX, six speed manual transmission. Still to date the best car I've owned. I sold it in 2017 when we needed the van, I still regret it to this day. It's the same body style as your accord however four-cylinder not six. Overall incredible car, excellent mpg, great ride in both city and highway. As far as the one that you have linked to, I honestly think it's a little too much money for a three-year-old accord. I also think the 0% financing that all the manufacturers are throwing around will help bring a new one down into near used price when you factor in the interest savings. Don't count out a new ride during these unprecedented times.
What color did you have, and how did it hold up?
 
Joined
Dec 5, 2010
Messages
1,098
Location
MO
Greg- Modern steel metallic. Manual transmission only had the two silver options for color. I prefer white or brighter colored cars, the dark gray definitely grew on me. I hand wash mostly but the paint overall really held up nicely. I did only keep the car two years however. Car was always parked outside, rain and snow. I lived in an apartment with no garage at the time. Otherwise, the car held up perfectly. No issues in about 30,000 miles of driving. I have no doubt that an accord would last you 200,000 easy, my first 1997 did! Whatever you get, don't worry about resale since you seem to keep your cars for quite long. By the time you've driven the wheels off it, it'll be worth chump change anyways!
 

gregk24

Thread starter
Joined
Apr 13, 2013
Messages
7,881
Location
FL, USA
Originally Posted by FirstNissan
Greg- Modern steel metallic. Manual transmission only had the two silver options for color. I prefer white or brighter colored cars, the dark gray definitely grew on me. I hand wash mostly but the paint overall really held up nicely. I did only keep the car two years however. Car was always parked outside, rain and snow. I lived in an apartment with no garage at the time. Otherwise, the car held up perfectly. No issues in about 30,000 miles of driving. I have no doubt that an accord would last you 200,000 easy, my first 1997 did! Whatever you get, don't worry about resale since you seem to keep your cars for quite long. By the time you've driven the wheels off it, it'll be worth chump change anyways!
My current Accord has been the one I have kept the longest. The first was my first car in high school that I had for less than 2 years, a 1995 Accord 2.7 V6, then I moved up to a 2006 Accord LX that I had for around 4 years, now I am on my 3rd and current 2012 Accord EX-L 2.4. I purchased with the intent to keep for 10 years, however I am very meticulous and a bit OCD and the idea of paint failing is very bothersome, that may sound silly but it would irk me. Seeing the issues arise now just has me worried how it will look a year down the road, Im sure that will affect trade in.
 
Joined
Dec 5, 2010
Messages
1,098
Location
MO
I agree with you 100%. First brand new car was a 2009 Nissan versa, white color, manual transmission. Turns out the white paint they used that year had a lot of Online complaints for being quite thin. At the 3 to 4 year mark, multiple areas of rust formed from the front to rear of the car. At that time I used to hand wash 100% of the time because my apartment building had a car wash station ( space and a hose! Not even covered haha). I sold the car for several reasons however rust was always a big concern of mine. It was a little embarrassing driving around A car that was spotty With rust. I don't disagree with you at all if the finances line up Correctly.
 
Joined
Dec 30, 2006
Messages
25,622
Location
Dallas,Tx USA
My main issue with Honda is the cheap interior. All the soft touch surfaces are puffing out and the headliner is already falling down. Is this maybe just a gen 8 issue?
 
Joined
Mar 2, 2004
Messages
3,010
Location
Kentucky
Must be something about Honda paint. The wife and I are replacing our '04 Odyssey soon and the only reason is the paint which is flaking off like crazy. It started slow just a piece here and there, but now it's practically coming off every area. it's a great van otherwise and we'd like to keep it, but I can't hardly stand to drive it, it's starting to look that bad. Our particular color (pearl midnight blue something or other) had a recall some years ago, but only to 100k or so many years, which ours was slightly past when we first noticed it. I typically keep vehicles for a long time, and I've never had a vehicle with paint issues like this one, even my 25 year old cars have good factory paint still.
 

gregk24

Thread starter
Joined
Apr 13, 2013
Messages
7,881
Location
FL, USA
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
My main issue with Honda is the cheap interior. All the soft touch surfaces are puffing out and the headliner is already falling down. Is this maybe just a gen 8 issue?
I knew about the poor quality leatherette used on the armrest in these when I purchased. I simply avoid using them (not hard at all, I rarely used them before anyway) and all are still in tip top shape. Surprisingly the headliner in still up and looking good also, considering it lives outside in the Florida sun. The headliner in my wifes 2014 Jetta however is failing at a rapid rate.
 
Joined
Dec 30, 2006
Messages
25,622
Location
Dallas,Tx USA
Originally Posted by gregk24
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
My main issue with Honda is the cheap interior. All the soft touch surfaces are puffing out and the headliner is already falling down. Is this maybe just a gen 8 issue?
I knew about the poor quality leatherette used on the armrest in these when I purchased. I simply avoid using them (not hard at all, I rarely used them before anyway) and all are still in tip top shape. Surprisingly the headliner in still up and looking good also, considering it lives outside in the Florida sun. The headliner in my wifes 2014 Jetta however is failing at a rapid rate.
I keep a towel over the armrest to protect it. The gen 7's have really nice leather interiors.
 

gregk24

Thread starter
Joined
Apr 13, 2013
Messages
7,881
Location
FL, USA
Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
Must be something about Honda paint. The wife and I are replacing our '04 Odyssey soon and the only reason is the paint which is flaking off like crazy. It started slow just a piece here and there, but now it's practically coming off every area. it's a great van otherwise and we'd like to keep it, but I can't hardly stand to drive it, it's starting to look that bad. Our particular color (pearl midnight blue something or other) had a recall some years ago, but only to 100k or so many years, which ours was slightly past when we first noticed it. I typically keep vehicles for a long time, and I've never had a vehicle with paint issues like this one, even my 25 year old cars have good factory paint still.
It is quite a shame really. They make some great cars that are capable of running a long time, but paint quality needs to be improved. I would put the 2018+ Accord on my list but even those already have paint flaking off in chunks. Honda quality isn't what it used to be for sure. Likely most won't experience a problem, but I don't want to be the unlucky one that does. Paint failure on the new ones are happening already, imagine having a car with failing paint that you still owe money on for the next 5+ years. That would make me sick. Yes, the warranty would likely cover it (sometimes they really kick their heals and blame the environment or owner) but what happens to the panels that don't fail until after warranty is up. Then you are stuck. Sorry, rant over. Back on topic!
 
Joined
Feb 15, 2016
Messages
2,419
Location
GA
We bought 2017 EXL with Nav and Sensing about 10 days. The car came with 2.5l engine; Our Accord had 19600 miles on odometer and we got it for $21.5K OTD; our model was in pristine condition pretty much; its been garaged from day, one could tell by close examination; of course, at the dealership they charged us 4.79% for 60 months so soon after that we got to transfer the loan to our local CU; CU gave us 2.28% rate for 60 months; I filled up gas on empty tank on Friday and we got 28mpg in city/suburban driving conditions; Very pleased with the car overall [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
 

gregk24

Thread starter
Joined
Apr 13, 2013
Messages
7,881
Location
FL, USA
Originally Posted by miden851
We bought 2017 EXL with Nav and Sensing about 10 days. The car came with 2.5l engine; Our Accord had 19600 miles on odometer and we got it for $21.5K OTD; our model was in pristine condition pretty much; its been garaged from day, one could tell by close examination; of course, at the dealership they charged us 4.79% for 60 months so soon after that we got to transfer the loan to our local CU; CU gave us 2.28% rate for 60 months; I filled up gas on empty tank on Friday and we got 28mpg in city/suburban driving conditions; Very pleased with the car overall [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Very nice. You have the 2.4 though, not 2.5. Could have just been a typo. Glad you are enjoying it. I certainly am not ruling out the 2.4, the CVT they pair it with seems to be relatively trouble free. How do YOU like the CVT? Also, do you find the 2.4 to have sufficient power?
 
Joined
Feb 15, 2016
Messages
2,419
Location
GA
Yes I meant to say K24W engine, slip of the tongue sorry; The Honda's CVT is arguably the best in the industry; the car gets to 0-60 in 8 sec, plenty of power for my needs; Also, we have two CVTs now, the one in Accord is tuned differently than one in CRV, its more engaging to drive, you would barely noticed its a CVT also, that v6 accord will need timing belt replacement at 100k milestone, so that's another $1k to do
 
Last edited:

gregk24

Thread starter
Joined
Apr 13, 2013
Messages
7,881
Location
FL, USA
Originally Posted by miden851
Yes I meant to say K24W engine, slip of the tongue sorry; The Honda's CVT is arguably the best in the industry; the car gets to 0-60 in 8 sec, plenty of power for my needs; Also, we have two CVTs now, the one in Accord is tuned differently than one in CRV, its more engaging to drive, you would barely noticed its a CVT also, that v6 accord will need timing belt replacement at 100k milestone, so that's another $1k to do
I have heard good things about Honda's CVT, glad to hear your experience has been positive. Yes, I am aware of the timing belt job, bummer it would have to be done but V6 power would be worth it IMO. Do you know what the T-belt replacement time based interval is? It would be a long time before I hit 100K miles. I average less than 6K miles per year.
 

Nick1994

$50 Site Donor
Joined
Feb 19, 2013
Messages
13,897
Location
Phoenix, AZ
What about an Acura TLX? Better materials and comfort etc. Here's a 2017 V6 with 20k miles for $21,960 Though it's sold by an online dealer, a local one might pop up soon somewhere else. 17 V6 TLX
 
Joined
Nov 14, 2008
Messages
12,046
Location
Phoenix
Originally Posted by Nick1994
What about an Acura TLX? Better materials and comfort etc. Here's a 2017 V6 with 20k miles for $21,960 Though it's sold by an online dealer, a local one might pop up soon somewhere else. 17 V6 TLX
Yes, a much better option.
 
Top