Reduced phosphorus for cat protection

Castrol touts on their high mileage oils a reduced level of phosphorus to protect from catalytic converters poisoning. As the owner of an oil burning car, is this something that all high mileage oils tend to have, or or this actually a valid reason to switch to Edge from PPHM or M1HM?

protection

Seriously though, all API SP High Mileage motor oils have similar or nearly identical (low) levels of phosphorus. Use whichever label you like best. Good luck! (y)

Last edited by a moderator:
I would rather lose a converter than an engine. It's partially why there are so many boutique oils. People race,tune,etc and the demand for a better oil will always be there. Most of our converters lived a long life but your get into engine internal modifications and other parts that demand certain ppm of zinc, phosphorus and a lot of the oils just won't cut it.

I would rather lose a converter than an engine. It's partially why there are so many boutique oils. People race,tune,etc and the demand for a better oil will always be there. Most of our converters lived a long life but your get into engine internal modifications and other parts that demand certain ppm of zinc, phosphorus and a lot of the oils just won't cut it.
When an oil protects engine components like the piston rings, and the oil stays in the pan where it’s intended to be, cat poisoning is a non-issue.

I'vwme run full saps A3/B4 oils in engines that burned oil and never had a problem passing emissions tests, in my old Peugeot 106 1.1 i ran Valvoline Maxlife 10w40 A3/B4 and in fact it reduced the oil consumption noticeably :) so that must have helped protect the cat.

Castrol touts on their high mileage oils a reduced level of phosphorus to protect from catalytic converters poisoning. As the owner of an oil burning car, is this something that all high mileage oils tend to have, or or this actually a valid reason to switch to Edge from PPHM or M1HM?
Perhaps. Remember there's more than one way to blend an oil. ZDDP isn't be be all end all. Some consumers like it because it's something which pops up in UOA's however, there are substitutes which perform just as well that do not appear in UOA's. Too suggest an oil company is sacrificing engine longevity for emissions is preposterous.

All oils are blended at a price point.

Not sure about that - have you priced out a CAT lately? You can probably replace many engines for about the same if not less money. A good example of this is the Honda K24's from the mid 2000's...

Back