redline

Status
Not open for further replies.
So since mobil 1 has done the dastardly deed and made the switch to a group three i was thinking of using redline oils in my 400ish horsepower 4g63 (2.0l turbo engine). redline seems to have the support of this site when it comes to high performance engines, but it dosnt have the super long drain intervals, i plan on running only 3000ish mile oci, so that really does not mean anything in my point of view. and from what i can tell redline does not use, or intend to switch to a group three any time soon. Just looking for some assurance that i am doing the right thing while staying with a true 100% synth oil.

Redline is great stuff, especially with a turbo. However, for 3000 miles it is a waste. You could run it for up to a year (well I ran some 15.5 months). You should be able to run up to 10,000 miles with no worry on Redline.

Now as an alternative, since you were using PAO, why not Amsoil? I understand most of their oils are PAO. Check with one of our site sponsor Amsoil dealers.

One thing to keep in mind and I have a feeling this will really be funny when/if it happens, is that even companies like Amsoil could be switching over to group III. Their MSDS's have become more vague over the last year and, the PAO market is shrinking. Notice the FAQ page response to "What base oils does Amsoil use?" states they will NOT be locked into a single base oil strategy. (Basically they are leaving themselves wide open for change). I would use Amsoil over Mobil 1 BUT, don't focus so much on the base oil being used.

In this application here, I'd consider PP 10w-30. *According to Terry's latest analysis, something has changed with RL and he is not recommending it at this time until he can get a better baseline. RL gets a lot of attention simply bc it has an ester base stock and Moly. No other reason. 99% of the people on here that claim RL is great don't really know that for sure.

The oil is appropriate for a small high powered turbo engine. I use the 5W-20 in a 600 BHP Murcielago but I never see high engine oil temperatures. This leads to fuel and water dilution so the oil still must be changed after just 2 or 3,000 miles (about a year). If the engine does not get hot oils have to be changed more often.

aehaas

does anyone know what terry is "not recomending" it right now? I am looking for a oil that can take the punishment and abuse of a weekend warior track car and still get me to and from the track. From the little bit of research i have done, redline street oil to me seems to be the best for something like this. I plan on making 600ish hp with the car and will be doing frequent oil changes, so long drain intervals are not a decding factor in the oil choice.

In your situation if i was you with that car i would use redline for sure. a turbo needs a very good oil and redline is a amazing oil for High hp cars. i seriously urge you to use redline, it is better than any other racing oil. THE STUFF IS AWSOME.
PS: DO NOT USE IT IN EXTENDED OCI. IT IS SHOWN TO HAVE ALOT OF FRICTION MODIFYERS BUT VERY LITTLE ACTIVE ADDITIVE COMPARED TO MOST OILS. STICK WITH A SHORT OCI

Quote:

PS: DO NOT USE IT IN EXTENDED OCI. IT IS SHOWN TO HAVE ALOT OF FRICTION MODIFYERS BUT VERY LITTLE ACTIVE ADDITIVE COMPARED TO MOST OILS. STICK WITH A SHORT OCI

Where did you hear or see this? I do not believe this is true. Generally, Redline states that you can double your cars OCI with their oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back