Redline and reliable UOA data

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been a long time Mobil 1 user but am considering a test run of Redline. As seen in other UOA's, my concern is that oil analysis data from my first run might be skewed due to Redlines potent cleaning abilities. I will have about 30k on my engine when I start the Redline interval. From 500 miles on, my engine has had steady diet of Mobil 1 10w-30 and 0w-40. My question is this. Will an Auto-RX treatment prior to switching to Redline minimize the "clean-up" factor so that I can trust my UOA results? I think Terry may have mentioned a similar process.

Question part 2 - If I do elect to do an Auto-RX, should I add it to the end of my Mobil1 interval or, refill with dino and run it for 500 or so miles?

Is there something you don't like about the UOA's on your engine with M1?

For academic reasons you should do an analyis with M1 a couple of times and then with RL a couple of times (or more).

Forget AutoRx.

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see what kind of car you have.

But even with a sludge monster, at 30K with M1 you shouldn't need Auto-Rx. Save your $2X.

I would just switch over, but not try to do a xlong interval the first crankcase fill.

I'm not unhappy with my Mobil 1 results but, that is the only oil I have used and don't have a basis for comparison.

I have an '02 Toyota Tacoma with the 3.4L V6. This is not the sludge prone engine.

I would also do an oil analysis. I certainly can understand you wanting to try RL. Probably it does offer the ultimate in hard driving protection. But I think it's unlikely in normal driving (even under hard driving and with extended intervals) to beat Mobil's (10W-30) results. Sooooo I would highly recommend doing an oil sample (preferably more than one)on the M1 before switching to RL. Without doing this you simply won't know if the RL is doing better or worse in your car.

Sorry-I can't help you on the AutoRx.

I have UOA data for the Mobil 1 0w-40 and will be generating data for the 10w-30 as well (5k, 7.5k and possibly 10k). My UOA results can be found in the UOA section of this forum.

The oxidation/nitration data I've seen on Redline is suspect, but you can look at viscosity and TBN, along with a number of other factors to see how it's holding up. One other thing I've seen is increased lead and copper wear with the first batch you run. I think this is due to the basestock and aggressive additive chemistry. So I'd test the 2nd or 3rd batch of Redline if you want to get accurate wear numbers - especially in a high mileage engine.

TooSlick
Dixie Synthetics

You'll be fixing something that you don't know to be broken if you don't test what you're using now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back