Phosphorus 1070
Calcium 2310

Physical Properties
Water negative
Fuel negative scale negative,trace,positive
Antifreeze negative
Soot 40 some solids present,
sludge precursors being cleaned
Oxidation 94 scale 0-199 47% cleaning going on.
Nitration 87 scale 0-199 43.5% elevated by
Redline signature
Sulfur 71 some fuel sulfur, mostly Redline
adds
TBN 7 some depletion as cleaning takes place
Vis@100 C 11.8 30W

Final Comments : Engine wear very low, silicon average to low includes oil adds. NOx, Oxd elevated by Redline signature as is sulfur and solids. Confirm ignition components are in good repair and fuel economy is normal. Oil is in
excellent condition considering cleaning, continue use if not changed to 7000 miles.
Next interval may be taken to 10,000 miles after clean up has stabilized.
Questions let me know.

I like this oil and engine combo once cleaned up internally. This one of few oils and engine where cleaning didn't kill the lubricity of the oil.

WOW! This is one seriously awesome report! That engine is practically not wearing out at all with this oil!!!

I assume that with the total mileage on this Sienna it is one of the possible sludge factories, in that year range?

What would concern me are the numbers that show no wear. High numbers are a concern but no numbers imply lab error. To have zero iron, is that even possible?

quote:

Originally posted by Spector:
I assume that with the total mileage on this Sienna it is one of the possible sludge factories, in that year range?

What would concern me are the numbers that show no wear. High numbers are a concern but no numbers imply lab error. To have zero iron, is that even possible?

This is the 1MZ-FE engine. It's quite clean. It ran on Mobil 1 at 3-5K intervals for 60K. (didn't want to run a non API oil during warranty) This is the third time on Redline, and I will be sticking with it.

Don't know what to say on your comments on wear. If they are real, I'm pleased as it's possible to get! I have no reason think there was an error at this time.

I guess the next analysis will tell the tale. If the results are the same, then we know there was no error. I'm sure that Terry would ask for a retest here if he had any doubt at all though.

One thing that is kinda strange is that the silicon at 12 should've accounted for a bit of engine wear, yet it didn't. Unless that silicon was from recently new gaskets of any kind?

[ February 07, 2003, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Spector and Slider the #'s above are accurate. Three oil changes on Redline shows that the RL formula does stabilize the soft metals issues we have discussed before.

This sample shows the ability of any oil, even M1 to coke in these engines.

The POE base is a much superior lubricant over any procured on the OTC oils.

Schaeffers does well in these engines but relys on the penetro/132 mix to keep the coking down. It needs help on an extended drain and thats why I like the Redline for worry free performance if extending the intervals.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

One thing that is kinda strange is that the silicon at 12 should've accounted for a bit of engine wear, yet it didn't. Unless that silicon was from recently new gaskets of any kind?

I may be wrong but I believe that Redline's make-up actually includes some sort of additive that shows up as silicon. Another words, it isn't dirt but rather inherent to the Redline oil....for antifoaming as I recall.

quote:

Originally posted by Terry:
Spector and Slider the #'s above are accurate. Three oil changes on Redline shows that the RL formula does stabilize the soft metals issues we have discussed before.

Terry, can you explain what 'stabilizing the soft metal issues' means? Thanks

Good point, our data shows 2 to 32 ppm silicon on fresh Redline, depending on formula. The 5w-30 seems to have less of the soft metals showing spectrographically clean.

To answer your question, Redline seems to clean up residual softe metals that have bonded to the surfaces and crannies of a engine that has used other brands. In the past many (myself included) were concerned that RL was causing increased wear.
I am convinced after 3 years of testing that it is not a problem but cleaning.

A treatment of Auto-RX prior to using RL seems to limit this effect. Other more traditional solvents don't seem to clean down this deep before volatizing off leaving the imbedded residuals.

Search this site for more data.

Terry

This may be the cleanest UOA I have ever seen!
gr_eek2.gif

Someone posted one (I'm sorry, I forget who) a while ago using Havoline synthetic and some Schaeffer #132 E.P. which was awfully close.
wink.gif

Yes, typically, Red Line shows 10-15ppm silicon in most used analyses. It's an anti-foaming agent.

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
By the way, what oil filter were you running?

Both air and oil are Toyota OEM. The oil filter is the Japanese Nippondenso. (the one with the unusual element that Toyota calls 'crystal' but it looks like dense foam to me) Somebody posted
pics of it elsewhere on the site, I think.

Ah yes, good point, I had forgotten that Redline's VOA reports typically show more silicon! Obviously in this case most of the silicon is not from dirt.

Slider, That is a great report! If the iron levels were any lower, your engine would be getting bigger!

Two questions: Had you used Mobil-1 exclusively, prior to 60k? Is this your first analysis on Redline?

Pete (2002 Sienna)

quote:

Originally posted by Pete:
Slider, That is a great report! If the iron levels were any lower, your engine would be getting bigger!

Two questions: Had you used Mobil-1 exclusively, prior to 60k? Is this your first analysis on Redline?

Pete (2002 Sienna)

I used Castrol GTX for the first few K on breakin.

Mobil 1 was used at 3-5K intervals after that up to 60K. There were 2 or 3 times where I used Valvoline Synpower (API SJ - the PAO version) because the shelves were bare of Mobil 1.

So this analysis is the third time on Redline.

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
Wow!! This and the 5W40 analysis from a turbo engine finally convince me RL engine oil is as good as their gear oils. Wish it wasn't A$30 a quart though!

No kidding! Redline needs to do something about their pricing in both Australia and Canada, as they are losing a lot of potential customers with their insane pricing. How can they justify charging over $17 a quart here in Canada when Mobil 1 is $7 and Amsoil is $9 or $10?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back