Redline 5w-20 @ 2508 miles in a 2004 Acura TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, this is not my car. It belongs to a friend of mine.

-

I included all of the information within the spreadsheet. Car is driven as a weekend car, located in Pennsylvania, and may sit for 1-2 weeks at a time. (occassionally) No oil or fuel additives were used, 94 octane gas used at every fill-up.

Currently running Redline 5w-20 with the Mobil 1 M1-110 Oil Filter again, will resample in approximately 10-12 months.

BTW, this UOA has been sent to Dyson Analysis for interpretation.

Michael

"Mike, miles on unit can't be right."

Thanks for pointing that out, its been fixed.
smile.gif

offtopic.gif

I fixed it by going back and editing the image, and re-uploading it to the server under the same file name, so that I wouldn't have to contact the admins to change the link. Neat little trick huh?
grin.gif

Wonder why the high copper. Maybe still effects from new engine/break in? I am interested in your next batch of Redline 5w20 as I have that in a '92 Aerostar right now.

Interesting!

I have an '05 TL 6-speed and will do the first oil change this weekend (it has about 5,100 miles)

I plan on using Motorcraft 5W-20 syn blend because it's relatively cheap, and it produces decent UOAs. Sticking with Honda Filtech filters.

I toyed with the idea of using Redline, but decided against it, because this engine is not known to beat up the oil. Also, I'll be sticking with the oil change interval recommended by the MID/computer.

Jason

ps- TallPaul: high copper is common in Honda V6s, said to be bearing overlay; it normalizes after a while.

I think the Cu is high here because the RL is reacting with the bearing overlay. I think it'll drop in future UOAs.

offtopic.gif

quadrun1, you're Opti on Acurazine as well? You posted a few UOAs on BMWs here, was that your previous car?

Hi Michael,

offtopic.gif

Yup that's me. Opti is short for "Optimus Prime", the name given to my TL by my fiancee because of all the gadgets it has.

Those BMWs belong to family members (cousin, mom, dad, etc); my previous car was an '02 SAAB 9-5 Aero.

My favorite oil for those European cars is GC but I think GC is too thick for the TL.

Jason

I have an '05 TL 6-speed and will do the first oil change this weekend (it has about 5,100 miles)
I'm surprised that you kept the factory fill for that many miles.

I'll be sticking with the oil change interval recommended by the MID/computer
How does the computer calculate the desired OCI?

As Michael pointed out, this Acura is my "Fun" car and I only drive it when the weather is nice and I'm in the mood to drive. I don't race or abuse the car, but the engine rarely spends any time at a constant RPM. Several weeks ago, I took a long trip and used the cruise control, but usually I'm rowing thru the gears and the engine gets a pretty good workout when I'm driving the car. It has never been raced or abused in any manner. I'm a little worried about the Copper but hopefully it will start getting lower as the engine continues to breakin. Terry mentioned in his report that my airfilter might be dirty causing dirt in the oil. I've never added oil so the contamination isn't coming from a dirty funnel. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

jetjock, how did you break-in this car, hard, easy or just regular driving? I'm curious if the rings havn't fully seated causing some blow by which is giving you the .3 insolubles and low flash point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back