Redline 10w60 - 2011 M3 - Mix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Redline 5w-50 may approximate the TWS more closely.
?

API Service Class SN/SM/SL/CF
SAE Viscosity Grade (Motor Oil) 5W50
Vis @ 100°C 21.0
Vis @ 40°C 130
Viscosity Index 186
CCS Viscosity, Poise, @*C 60@-30
Pour Point, °C -45
Pour Point, °F -49
Flash Point, °C 232
Flash Point, °F 450
NOACK Evaporation Loss,1hr @ 482°F (250°C), % 6
HTHS Vis, cP @150°C, ASTM D4741 5.0

Edge Professional TWS

Density @ 15̊ C, Relative g/ml 0.853
Viscosity, Kinematic 100 C mm²/s 22.7
Viscosity, CCS -25 ̊ C (10W) mPa.s (cP) 4879
Viscosity, Kinematic 40 ̊ C mm²/s 160
Viscosity Index 173
Pour Point °C -39
Flash Point PMCC °C >200
Ash, Sulphated % wt 1.29

Originally Posted By: 330indy
Redline 5w-50 may approximate the TWS more closely.

...in terms of viscometrics? Sure.

With the S65 engines that have had questionable con rod protection with TWS, I'm going the other way. RL 10w60 for max film strength
That means staying away from such as M1 0w40

Last edited:
With the S65 engines that have had questionable con rod protection with TWS, I'm going the other way. RL 10w60 for max film strength

Understood, but, even the Red Line 5W-50 will shear much less (if at all) than the TWS does, and their 10W-60 might just be a wee bit thick for even an S65 in mid western winter use (IF you use it at all during that season.
wink.gif
)

I'm staying with TWS in my 2008 Z4M Coupe.

No reason to do anything else.

Although Liqui Moly in 10W-60 is tempting.

I do wish Shell would bring their 10W-60 to market here but I can't see the Ferrari guys down at Advance looking for an oil change deal.

M1 0W-40 is my choice for the newer M6 Coupe. But BMW will keep putting 5W-30 in it while under their care.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

Understood, but, even the Red Line 5W-50 will shear much less (if at all) than the TWS does, and their 10W-60 might just be a wee bit thick for even an S65 in mid western winter use (IF you use it at all during that season.
wink.gif
)

Yes I looked at that 5w-50 closely, but since she sleeps in winter and under warranty I figured I better stick to 10w-60 spec oil, just in case.
I change the oil often. I think dirt/debris in extended OCIs is aggravating the issues....

Last edited:
Red Line 10w-60 is still non-spec oil. Like all Red Line oils, it carries zero third-party approvals, let alone the correct ones for the engine.

If you're going to use Red Line, you're not gaining much by using the "correct" viscosity grade.

Redline doesn't comply with API rules because it (API) would strip the ZDDP right out to comply with emissions and catalytic standards/requirements, not an advantage at all.
So conforming to certification and so called standards does not necessarily lead to a better product. Indeed by today's assessment -- inferior -- because modern oils don't contain these friction reducing additives anymore in the name of progress.
And the ample ZDDP is what makes Redline great, not to mention POE.
Redline offers film strength that is unbeatable.
As far as picking the right weight for your application....
all you have to do is look at their specs page for all the weights.
10w60 with a bit of 5w50 is the cocktail that works for the S65, IMO and my engines purrs

Redline doesn't comply with API rules because it (API) would strip the ZDDP right out to comply with emissions and catalytic standards/requirements, not an advantage at all.
So conforming to certification and so called standards does not necessarily lead to a better product. Indeed by today's assessment -- inferior -- because modern oils don't contain these friction reducing additives anymore in the name of progress.
10w60 with a bit of 5w50 is the cocktail that works for the S65, IMO and my engines purrs

That is [censored]. Are you saying that for example BMW LL-04 is inferior to LL-01? I saw BMW diesels making 400-500K and still blast 155mph on Euro roads.
That "so called standards" are developed for a reason, and I yet to see UOA of Redline oil that would justify their price and image.
It is POE, and I agree, it looks really stout, but do you have ANY evidence to support your claim? If you can present that, I will move both of my cars to Redline since both cars are going to stay for a long time in my garage and it would be in my interest to use best oil.

ZDDP (phos) is not limited by API on non ILSAC grades, e.g. 5W-40 and above.

So your point isn't relevant

Last edited:
LOL,
the marketting of these blenders has their sheeple followers well and truly stonkered.

It's better because we don't get it certified...

Originally Posted By: Shannow
LOL,
the marketting of these blenders has their sheeple followers well and truly stonkered.

That is MAIN marketing pitch by these companies Royal Purple, Redline and Amsoil, though Amsoil actually sent for approval some of their oils.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
LOL,

lol.gif

To be fair, while the rationale may be based on bad info and weak logic, it isn't unintuitive. ZDDP reduces wear => More is good => Less is bad => API restrictions on ZDDP are bad => Oils that avoid those restrictions are good. It also fits with the narrative of "zomg [insert boogeyman here] is comin' for mah cars, but I'm an enthusiast so I know better!"

We laugh now that it's someone else, but I bet we could come up with more than a few stories of falling for stuff like this ourselves, before we knew better.

Just checked Amsoil and their 5W30 Euro formula got approval for VW504.00/507.00.
Actually I am not going to put Amsoil in same league anymore with scammers like Royal Purple or Redline.

Okay, I'll poke this nest one more since apparently I'm the only one who has used Redline in a vehicle since its zecond fill and am, therefore, a deplorable person who believes everything snake oil salesmen say. Nissan Sentra SE-R, 1992, SR20DE engine, beaten to within an inch of its life in both track and street, two teenagers, one nephew and me, the biggest offender of all. Now down to driving it every month or so in the same manner as always while watching it slowly rust. 257,000 miles or thereabouts, engine never opened, never needed to except for valve cover gaskets. One chain tensioner in the second year and regular religious maintenance. 5,000 OCI with Redline, Nissan filters until corrupted by BITOG to using Fram Ultra, almost always with 0-40 weight, otherwise 5-40. If you've got better data I want to hear it.

All redline oils are really complete overkill and they have monstruous HTHS, they even reccomend not to use certain grades that they make even if they are specced by your car's manufacturer unless you are seeing very high oil temps.
Their 20W60 is outrageous really it has a HTHS of 7.0!!! , Made apparently for harleys that run at very high temps but it's even overkill for those...
Maybe mix 3/4 of TWS with 1/4 with the Redline?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back