Red Line 5W Racing Oil, 2019 Lincoln Navigator 3.5L Turbo, 1,059mi - Oil, 29,000mi - Truck.

Half of the PZ TBN was already used up. The RL has a base of 2.4 and an acid of 4.4 so a low pKa. This, to me, goes along with the acidity and corrosive behavior the UOA analysts were referring to. I would really like to know how RL thinks when formulating this "racing" oil. It is likely a necessary evil and they cannot tell us anything about it. A person who was on various ASTM committees and who worked formulating is of no use as far as any information goes. It is easier to pull teeth.

Ali

Last edited:
Half of the PZ TBN was already used up. The RL has a base of 2.4 and an acid of 4.4 so a low pKa. This, to me, goes along with the acidity and corrosive behavior the UOA analysts were referring to. I would really like to know how RL thinks when formulating this "racing" oil. It is likely a necessary evil and they cannot tell us anything about it. A person who was on various ASTM committees and who worked formulating is of no use as far as any information goes. It is easier to pull teeth.

Ali
@MolaKule would know.

Ali
You can keep saying it but that virgin oil is not acidic. You have no idea what you are talking about here. Hydrocarbons are not acidic, and there is no proton exchange going on here to speak of.

If you really are in communication with someone from an ASTM committee then they should be able to explain things to you. Standardized tests are public and the methodology and the reasoning behind them is also public. That’s the whole point. It is not shrouded in mystery.

Last edited:
"There is also the aspect of doing a short UOA at only 1000 miles being skewed by the left over oil from the last oil run. Depends on how much old oil is left inside the engine to mix with the new. What he should do is get a UOA on the new oil fill within a short interval, like 25 miles or less so that will become the more accurate baseline for the new oil run."

This is a great idea. The previous oil was in the truck for around 6,000 miles before I dumped it and put the RL racing oil in there. I wonder how much of that Fe was left over from the much longer, previous run. I have decided to perform this suggestion. When I drop the 0W-20 in there now I will get a UOA. I will be going to a 0W-16 next. I plan on getting another UOA after a hundred miles or so. It should give us an idea of the "left overs".

I need to make things a little more fair during the collection. As I need to withdraw the oil out of the dip stick tube at 100mi into the new oil I will do the same just before the oil change. Normally I would get a mid stream sample when dropping the oil.

Anyone have a better idea for a collection method?

Ali

"There is also the aspect of doing a short UOA at only 1000 miles being skewed by the left over oil from the last oil run. Depends on how much old oil is left inside the engine to mix with the new. What he should do is get a UOA on the new oil fill within a short interval, like 25 miles or less so that will become the more accurate baseline for the new oil run."

This is a great idea. The previous oil was in the truck for around 6,000 miles before I dumped it and put the RL racing oil in there. I wonder how much of that Fe was left over from the much longer, previous run. I have decided to perform this suggestion. When I drop the 0W-20 in there now I will get a UOA. I will be going to a 0W-16 next. I plan on getting another UOA after a hundred miles or so. It should give us an idea of the "left overs".

I need to make things a little more fair during the collection. As I need to withdraw the oil out of the dip stick tube at 100mi into the new oil I will do the same just before the oil change. Normally I would get a mid stream sample when dropping the oil.

Anyone have a better idea for a collection method?

Ali
Fumoto valve right after shutting off the engine …

I have been doing some investigation on Base Number and Acid Number. Some say that when the AN is higher than the BN then it is time to change the oil even if other indicators are OK. Another view is that when the AN of the virgin oil doubles it is time to change the oil. Elevated AN is an indication of additive depletion, elevated oxidation levels and corrosive properties. Corrosion may in fact play a more important role than physical/abrasive wear at times. I believe that water in the oil increases AN independently adding to further corrosion.

Many follow the TBN to determine when to change the oil. I think we also need to follow the Acid Number and maybe be more concerned about this value. Some think that it is critical as corrosive wear vastly accelerates when the AN crosses the line.

Ali

Back