Red Line 10W-40, 6,634 mi, '89 BMW 325i (E30)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is the same style cap, I have the same one on my 740i.

Seems unlikely because the coolant would have to bubble up to the top of the reservoir to leak out, and I have never seen it do that.

For those who don't know, the reservoir is part of the pressurized system on these cars, and the radiator is capless.

I could try swapping caps, couldn't I?

However, I put some Bars Leaks in and it seems to have stopped.

I will find out, when I send in my next oil sample (few days) whether the oil has been contaminated. If not I will assume the need to replace the radiator some time in the future.

Thanks for the reply.

Slightly OT, my '90 developed a split where the plastic attaches. Very slow leak onto hot fins evaporated the coolant. Had a smell to it, but never a drip until I went searching.

I think it's something very much like that. When you think about it a pint in a hundred miles isn't much. It could easily evaporate that quickly.

I think it is the original radiator. Can't complain about that.

my 87 leaked at the throttle body, pulled hoses cleaned corrosion off the hose barbs. Then pulled the little thing off and replaced the gasket, fixed.

Thanks for taking the time to comment. That particular issue I've already had the opportunity to address, and is still good as far as I can tell (pretty easy to tell).

I'll start a new thread. I'm a bit behind, though: I just ordered the oil yesterday, so it'll probably be next week before I get the sample off. By that time it'll probably have 11.5k or so, and I'll be interested to see those results as well!

nice to see the high miles on yours, I just sank a lot of money in my 87 with 106k on the clock. Is this the 2.5L?

Yes, the 2.5l "i" motor. The "e" engines should be even more durable. They are good cars imo, just enough electronics to be helpful and simple in every other way. And fun to drive. What did you have done on yours?

new convertible top, seats are being re-done next monday. All new seals on transmission all new seals on motor except head gasket, not a lot of money but a lot of work... 1 piece rear main... new radiator, magnaflow high flow cat, and stock muffler new manifold gaskets. reg tune up items which are costly on these things, bunch of other stuff here and there. going to adj the valves tomorrow. Its actually my girlfriends here dad gave it to her for free so its worth it IMO.

def a lot of fun to drive..

im losing coolant as well now, no visable leaks. Did you find anything? im going to do a uoa as i fear my intake manifold gaskets leaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back