Recycled motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand what the 'fuss' is over re-refined oil. It goes through the exact same refining process as virgin crude, and has to meet the same specifications.

Plus, when you think about it, already processed base oil with 3-10k on it has to be better basestock that the 1/3 dirt, 1/3 water and 1/3 oil junk they suck up out of the ground....

I like the idea, it seems like they do a good job of making sure it would perform like "new" motor oil. If it ever shows up in autozone, I might try it out and do a UOA. it just seems pretty cool to use re-used oil. Of course, in my beater corolla, if I had a high dollar more refined car, I might re-consider.

Perhaps a lot of the oil they recycle is already synthetic?

It would have to be less money than or very close to something like Supertech for me to consider it. I mean really, otherwise why would you get it? A potentially inferior product for the same or more? If a company were to sell re-refined for a consistent $1.50 or so, I'd buy it but otherwise why?

Well then let's put it this way; why would I buy re-refined from some niche company for more money when I could just buy some new oil from a company with an established good UOA and user experiences? What is the benefit that I'm paying for?

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Why would re-refined oil be inferior? Is the dirty crude pumped out of the ground somehow more refined as a raw material?

you might be correct and a re-refined oil will probably do a good job. but for me personally as of the moment...id rather use PP.

If they took the word re-refined or recycled off the bottles who would know or care as long as it meets the specs?

Last edited:
I don't know much about re-refined oil, but I'd rather use PP or YB myself.

What happens to the guy that mixes in ATF, Anti-Freeze, Brake Fluid, and Paint Thinner into the waste oil and returns it to be recycled? Or the guy that still has Chlordane in his garage from the 1950's and decides to mix it into waste oil for disposal. There are unfortunately a lot of people that do stuff like that. How to they get that stuff out when its processed, or are traces of it remaining in the re-refined product? I'm just trying to learn.

I recycle all automotive fluids seperately, and never mix anything in with them.

AD

Originally Posted By: ADFD1

What happens to the guy that mixes in ATF, Anti-Freeze, Brake Fluid, and Paint Thinner into the waste oil and returns it to be recycled? Or the guy that still has Chlordane in his garage from the 1950's and decides to mix it into waste oil for disposal. There are unfortunately a lot of people that do stuff like that. How to they get that stuff out when its processed, or are traces of it remaining in the re-refined product? I'm just trying to learn.

I recycle all automotive fluids seperately, and never mix anything in with them.

AD

Modern processing is MORE than capable of taking all those impurities out easily.

If you're going to bring up THAT argument, then what about 'nature', that mixes in dirt, water, clay, sulpher, into crude oil?

How do they process THAT stuff out?

Originally Posted By: addyguy

AD

Modern processing is MORE than capable of taking all those impurities out easily.

If you're going to bring up THAT argument, then what about 'nature', that mixes in dirt, water, clay, sulpher, into crude oil?

How do they process THAT stuff out?

I wasn't bringing up THAT argument, I was asking a question and looking for an answer. I didn't think nature mixed Chlordane, unwanted pesticides, or paint/thinners into crude. But I do see your point. Thanks!

AD

AD

you never know...if ur lucky u might get a batch that might include traces of Mobil 1/PP/Royal Purple/Amsoil/GC...it will be called the Eco Friendly Super Hybrid ReRefined Synergy Oil.

Now that would be a special blend. Me, I think I'll let others experiment, and I'll stick to Virgin Engine Oil. But who knows this could be the next latest and greatest oil. Time and UOA's will tell.

im surprised that most of these companies dont put "#1 Additive Package" or "Higher Additive Package than most conventional oils" right on the front label

In order to sell it, they would have to formulate it to be better than Virgin Conventional Oil, and get the message out there. It would have to be marketed to people like us who frequent BITOG and actually care. They would also have to convince the public that a recycled product is actually better. Tough sell in my book, but like I said who knows what is in store.

For most people a fancy coloured bottle with nice graphics usually sells the oil and not the specs of the oil. It's sad, but so true...

We are few and far between us BITOG folk and it wouldn't make sense to market to us when they can get much better bang for their marketing buck by marketing to the Joe consumer masses.
wink.gif

My point was Joe consumer hears recycled, and immediately thinks the product is second rate. That is unless the price is half, then Joe consumer might be all over it. You're right about a nice looking bottle, they say sex sells, make it a sexy bottle.

I hear you... They should call it ECO friendly or say that it took less energy/resources to produce this oil and avoid saying it uses recycled stuff because before I knew about BITOG I would have thought the same thing.

Originally Posted By: FusilliJerry82
Well then let's put it this way; why would I buy re-refined from some niche company for more money when I could just buy some new oil from a company with an established good UOA and user experiences? What is the benefit that I'm paying for?

Hmmm . . . I wonder if everybody used re-refined oil how much we could reduce our oil imports from terrorist supporting countries?

-Bryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back