Recycled motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strange, The re-refined, Tech 2000, Safty kleen product sold in Canadian Walmart's is about the lowest priced, approved motor oil on the market, This Eco oil is expensive! Do you think that the price is to give people the idea that it is a 'quality' product?
Or take advantage of the type of customer that will 'do the right' thing to 'save the planet' regardless of $ cost?
I have no problem with a re-refined oil, providing it IS a quality product.
Any body know how SK's reputation is?
I'd REALLY like to see a VOA on this oil!

Originally Posted By: expat
Strange, The re-refined, Tech 2000, Safty kleen product sold in Canadian Walmart's is about the lowest priced, approved motor oil on the market

$2.22/L before taxes/fees with the current sale price

I think the technology could easily take out the other [censored] people mix in. And Im sure they have some testing procedures to make sure there isnt antifreeze, etc. floating around.

Maybe they are banking on the fact that "green" is fashionable right now, and people will feel good about "saving" oil?

And who knows, im sure a decent portion of the stuff is recycled synthetic, too!

Well, after finding a distributor for Brad Penn (I really want to try it), it seems the same distributor (PPC Lubricants of Warminster, PA) carries America's Choice. When it comes time to get a case of oil, I'll take a look at their prices and maybe even pick some up.

Here is your answer as to why Re-refined oil is not on the shelves:

Here is a comment from John Cutshall from Safety-Kleen as to why re-refined oil is not available in retail stores. He sent this to me 1.2.2009:

The real problem with retail marketing of our products is that there is little demand.

With low demand, it is impossible to get any retail outlets to stock the products.

Any time somebody goes into a parts store for oil, they are either looking for a name brand or the cheapest quart there. We do not offer either product.

"If you talked with Safety-Kleen in Waco, they do not distribute the America's Choice lubricants.

We have distributors in Ft. Worth, Fredericksburg and Gonzales.

These distributors do supply our government customers or sell our products as housebrand.

I'm sorry that I can not offer much hope of retail availability, but over the last 10 years, the State of California has spent tens of millions of dollars trying to generate retail demand for rerefined lubricants with little success.

With the economy down and State budgets being in the red, there will not be any support from those areas.

Thanks for your interest in our products."

Straight from Mr. Cutshall/Safety-Klean Regional Manager for Texas and the Western half of the U.S.

Safety Klean has contracts with the U.S. Government, State Governments, and state government political subdivisions, counties, cities, etc.

If they can secure govt. contracts it must mean their bid comes in under everyone else. If that's the case then they could sell it retail for less than most others and it would move. If I walked into a store and a re-refined oil was the cheapest on the shelf, I'd buy it.

Gov't may be spec'ing a re-refined product. Its' also convenient/economical that the same truck delivering and picking up solvent and hazmat waste is dropping off motor oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back