Recycled motor oil

I wouldn't mind using Safety-Kleen recycled motor oil at a blink of an eye, so long as their price is competitive to that of typical brand name OTC motor oils. Q.

recycled motor oil? u knew this kind of oil was coming. next year the new product will be recycled ATF and recycled coolant.

$3.79 a quart (conventional oil) without a UOA from BITOG versus Pennzoil Platinum (synthetic oil) for $4.40 a quart and it comes with alot excellent UOA results from BITOG. I wonder which ill choose....no brainer here.

Originally Posted By: expat
Isn't Tech 2000 from Walmart in Canada recycled oil made by Safety kleen?
That's my understanding. They call it re-refined.

Not a fan of a vertically integrated recycled oil blenders. A little screw up in the filtering, selection and/or refining process could have a very large scope and severity of impact versus a typical blender operation that purchases base stocks. They (the typical blender) would at least require certificates of analysis/conformance then do their own audit frequency testing of the base stocks to ensure they meet minimum expectations. Vertically integrated facilities might only put in 1 QC step and roll the dice so to speak with minimal poka-yoke. Unless I saw their process I wouldn't feel to warm and fuzzy about using a reclaimer's oil. The cargo ships would gladly take all that gunk off their hands to ensure we all get goods from China.

Originally Posted By: MBCLK
$3.79 a quart (conventional oil) without a UOA from BITOG versus Pennzoil Platinum (synthetic oil) for $4.40 a quart and it comes with alot excellent UOA results from BITOG.
I agree..too much coin for the stuff.

Recycled oil could be the best thing since sliced bread, I won't use it though. As pickled said a little screw up in the process. Let someone else experiment with it, not me. Besides "too much coin for the stuff." AD

I guess refining is refining. If it meets the same standards then so what?

Last edited:
I get 99% of my tires through the Firestone Service Center near me. They have that exact stuff offered. Big wall banners all over the waiting area and service desk area. I asked about it when I was in the Nashua, NH store back in Jan getting tires and they told me they have NEVER had a customer request it. I didn't ask how long they had been selling it however. At least to that point however no interest at all from the customers. On a personal note I could not bring myself to use recycled oil in my vehicles. Yard equipment like snow blowers and lawn mowers I would if the price was cheap. It isn't cheap though so I wouldn't use it there either. I am all for recycling and saving resources and such but in this instance I am all for letting someone else "Go Green" .

Last edited:
new york state uses amercias ghoice re refined oil and claim they never had an oil problem.and they use 10/30 in all their new vehciles as well as mowers and other equipment.that is in the prisions physc center and predators unit here.

Originally Posted By: ernied
new york state uses amercias ghoice re refined oil and claim they never had an oil problem.and they use 10/30 in all their new vehciles as well as mowers and other equipment.that is in the prisions physc center and predators unit here.
That's interesting, but for me, I'm with NHHEMI though. They could make it into fuel too, a lot easier to get rid of it that way, that's if it's a cost effective move. AD

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
I'd rather use Safety Kleen recycled oil than participate in the liquid 'recycling' program on the Space Shuttle!
Nice! \:\!