Not open for further replies.
In Iowa today.

Road Service?

Caked in Ice.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Yikes. Bundle up and stay home.

No need to bundle up if you stay home...

Well if you don't turn the heat up then you need to bundle up. Jimmy Carter did it during the energy crisis.

It's -34°C or an honest-to-golly-gosh-darn 30 below F, so since I've been ensconced all day and evening curled up with a good iPad, avoiding the hungry sabre-tooth tigers looking for prey on the street, I decided to start the dead-block-heater car to see if it would, because I need it tomorrow.

I was confident it would and it did. The starter turned more slowly than normal, which also was expected. The motor, with 0w-30 in it, caught on the sixth r-r-r-r-r vroom.

I idle-speeded it down two back lanes for 1.3 kilometres before the temp needle lifted off dead cold, then a little further until the needle moved up to the next gradation, before driving normally.

But the temperature wouldn't climb completely to normal until I turned the heater off and waited a couple of minutes while driving at normal speeds.

I drove about 30 kilometres at 80 km/h, during which time the temp gauge dropped below normal again. I had to turn off the cabin heat once more to raise the temp to normal. But at -34 and the heater off, it doesn't take long to feel the chill. This was the first time that's happened after the initial warm-up.

So I drove back with a cooler-than-normal engine but turned the heat off again a couple of minutes and a few blocks from home, raising the temp to normal before shutting down.

The anti-freeze isn't low or slushy. It's just that dambed cold out there.

Originally Posted by Uphill_Both_Ways
It's -34°C or an honest-to-golly-gosh-darn 30 below F, so since I've been ensconced all day and evening curled up with a good iPad, avoiding the hungry sabre-tooth tigers looking for prey on the street, I decided to start the dead-block-heater car to see if it would, because I need it tomorrow.

I was confident it would and it did. The starter turned more slowly than normal, which also was expected. The motor, with 0w-30 in it, caught on the sixth r-r-r-r-r vroom.

I idle-speeded it down two back lanes for 1.3 kilometres before the temp needle lifted off dead cold, then a little further until the needle moved up to the next gradation, before driving normally.

But the temperature wouldn't climb completely to normal until I turned the heater off and waited a couple of minutes while driving at normal speeds.

I drove about 30 kilometres at 80 km/h, during which time the temp gauge dropped below normal again. I had to turn off the cabin heat once more to raise the temp to normal. But at -34 and the heater off, it doesn't take long to feel the chill. This was the first time that's happened after the initial warm-up.

So I drove back with a cooler-than-normal engine but turned the heat off again a couple of minutes and a few blocks from home, raising the temp to normal before shutting down.

The anti-freeze isn't low or slushy. It's just that dambed cold out there.

Do you not have a winter cold front cover on your car? Or if not that what about the card board trick? Should be more than worth the little effort......

^^^My dad used to use cardboard when I was a kid. I forgot all about that. Those cars, though, had lots of room between the radiator and grille.

I'll see if there's room to shoehorn a piece of cardboard in there. Thanks for the memory jog.

Last edited:
I'm thinking your thermostat might not be closing all the way, but yes, we used to keep cardboard in there all winter and forget about until spring in Saskatchewan. The classier guys would hang an old rug in front of the grill.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Well it is -25 according to the thermometer sitting next to me, which has its sending unit on a tree in my side yard...and -26 according to the one with a sending unit in my back yard. Wind chill says around -50. My furnace has been running straight since around 10pm last night to maintain 68 degrees...and I am sitting between 65 and 66 degrees in the house, and saw a dip to 62 degrees in here around 2am. I am guessing that is about the time my fire went out, and the furnace went into recovery mode. Going to go get another fire started on the lower level to give the furnace a rest. I can work from home today, but my wife has to head into work...I'm very thankful we have a heated garage for her! I'm sure my trusty Silverado would start as I have an oil pan heater and a dual battery setup, but I think I will just hunker down and keep the fire going.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
The classier guys would hang an old rug in front of the grill.
laugh.gif

Buncha snobs. They're the same ones who'd scrape their frost shields off in the summer and buy new ones every fall.

It's a balmy -5F here near STL this AM and the 1999 MGM with the $49 25 month old Value Power battery started right up.

IMG_1539.JPG

Originally Posted by MolaKule
In Iowa today.

Road Service?

Just got off the phone my manager. I was dispatched a call in STL today that's really in Marshalltown, IA.

There is actually talk of me going there, or meeting the engineer with the part as the customer's system is down...

Crazy

Originally Posted by kschachn
-22F today, supposedly -28F tomorrow. The 25 year-old BMW still started, tomorrow is another day.

Did you drive it or just start it to let it run? How did the other cars do? Any battery or block heaters? Minus 2 here and the 05 Matrix started right up. Of course just replaced the battery a few weeks ago. VWB 5w30 in the sump. Also replaced the IMG in October so it doesn't run rough when cold. Used the updated part so should be ok for awhile.

It got driven after that for a good while. No heaters, BMW doesn't make one for the M60 and neither does anyone else I don't believe. The battery is new this year so that contributed a lot I'm sure.

The rest of the cars are garaged so they don't count
wink.gif

Truck started fine at the park n ride last night after work at -23F, and no problems with heat or driveability. Those pesky grille shutters can be good for something... (Windy too - windchill was in the -50s) Took the kid to hockey practice too with no issues. Ran fine again this morning in -32F temps.

One more night of -32 forecasted, and then it is supposed to warm up 70 degrees by Sunday. Means it will still be under 40, but that's a heatwave!

Furnace kept up just fine too - held 67, did the usual drop back to 62 overnight, then warmed it back up to 67 in about an hour and half this morning. Can't complain...

I was curious how things were going to go for the guy I saw driving his Tesla this morning... You know, physics and chemistry and all...
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back