Record Cold Weather this Week

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed some headlines suggesting the Polar Vortex in the NE US and parts of Canada this week might cause a few cold weather records to fall. Looks like Wednesday might be the low point. Good thing you have the 5w30 in your crankcase.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Good thing you have the 5w30 in your crankcase.
laugh.gif

5w30?? Who uses thick stuff like that anymore?

0w16 is where it's at!

My limiting factor is going to be my battery. The oils now are pretty amazing, so that's not a worry. Last I measured my anti-freeze it was GTG to at least -30F. Some of the predictions here in the wasteland are around -27F Wednesday. Starting my fake cough today so it will be a full blown "flu" later this week
wink.gif

No motor oil in our little Nissan Leaf! I do have 0W30 in the snowblowers and 0W20 in the Element though. Not that I'd expect much snow at those temps. Apparently we're getting the snow all the snow today! I'll never know if they really made a difference, but I'm glad to have snow tires on the Leaf, my wife made it to work no problem (took her an hour to travel the 2.5 miles), with many other cars getting stuck spinning their tires in the snowy slush.

I noticed some headlines suggesting the Polar Vortex in the NE US and parts of Canada this week might cause a few cold weather records to fall. Looks like Wednesday might be the low point. Good thing you have the 5w30 in your crankcase.
laugh.gif

Like you have something to worry about there in southern BC
smile.gif

The forecast for Winnipeg on Tuesday night is -33 F. That's actually colder than on the planet Mars.
laugh.gif
50.gif

According to this, it'll drop to -36°C/-32.8°F.

If you happen to find yourself outside on the prairie dressed only in your underwear tonight, the wind chill might mean something more than the usual news-media hype: -53°C/-63.4°F.

Originally Posted by Pelican
laugh.gif

Like you have something to worry about there in southern BC
smile.gif

Yes but I'm on the eastern side of southern BC which puts my place north of Idaho. Worst temp I ever saw here was -34 C ( about -30 F). Those guys on the west coast start crashing their cars as soon as they have an inch of snow.
lol.gif

-25F air temp the other morning. Had a friend in town with a Jetta TDI. Put the battery charger on it all night and it still wasn't even close to starting. My 1.0 EcoBoost Focus fired right up, unaided (as did my MINI). Ended up jumping the TDI with the Focus and cranking it like crazy. Maybe 3 total minutes of starter time until it finally ran (like crap).

No thanks on the diesel ownership for me....

Originally Posted by PimTac
Polar Vortex is the new name for winter weather. It gets people all wound up and frantic.

Well they say it will be -32F where my old BMW sits outside in upper Wisconsin, so it is something to be at least a little wound up about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back