Record Cold Weather this Week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PimTac
Polar Vortex is the new name for winter weather. It gets people all wound up and frantic.

The super ice wolf polar vortex
smile.gif

Some of the temps I'm seeing quoted in area's is pretty staggering. I'm always afraid the furnace will die on the coldest days.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Polar Vortex is the new name for winter weather. It gets people all wound up and frantic.

Well they say it will be -32F where my old BMW sits outside in upper Wisconsin, so it is something to be at least a little wound up about.

True but I suspect that area gets cold every winter.

Stay warm.

Stay warm.

Not quite this cold, anything below -25F is unusual. A little farther north it's more common.

Lots of drama starting a car at those temperatures and I've always told my daughter not to do it unless there's a good reason to do so
wink.gif

Well they say it will be -32F where my old BMW sits outside in upper Wisconsin, so it is something to be at least a little wound up about.

Stay warm.

Even for North Western Wisconsin that temp not Feels Like temp is getting to record temps it will be -40F to -60F Feels like temperatures.

-14* as the high and -26* as the low at the office on Wednesday. Unless plugged in, the Alfa won't start if it's below -22*. Could be an interesting Wednesday...

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
The forecast for Winnipeg on Tuesday night is -33 F. That's actually colder than on the planet Mars.
laugh.gif
50.gif

Not exactly. The "average" temp on Mars is around -81 deg F. That's far colder than Earth's average of 57 deg F. But you can probably find isolated spots on Mars that are warmer than the coldest parts of the Earth.

Might change my oil to 0w-0 to ensure a quick engine start.
19.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
I heard 10W40 wasn't thick enough for '53 Stude, so he mixed up a batch of Castrol Supercar 10W60 and Kendall Nitro 70
lol.gif

Good try but way, way wrong Chris. I have HK Syn 5w20 in the sump
smile.gif

Stay warm.

Not quite this cold, anything below -25F is unusual. A little farther north it's more common.

Lots of drama starting a car at those temperatures and I've always told my daughter not to do it unless there's a good reason to do so
wink.gif

I hear ya. I still remember my dad trying to start the truck in -30F weather in Eastern Oregon. He had Havoline SAE 30 in the sump. That old International six cylinder was clacking for a bit until the oil pressure got up. We got a oil pan heater after a couple of mornings like that.

I grew up in Fargo ND. Back in the 60s and 70's big V8s would just start with 10w40 in the sump in -0 weather.probably at least 10 days of -15 or so with a couple of -20 to -30 days sprinkled in. Most people used battery warmers and or a coolant heater. If you didnt have a battery heater some people just took the battery out and kept it in the warm house overnight. Most hotels had outdoor outlets so travelers could plug in their vehicle .Battery warmers or coolant heaters . Vehicles managed to start in below zero well before 5W30 oil was common.

I wonder what oils the Germans used in Russia during WWII. They said they would light a fire under the tanks to get them warmed up so they could start them. Temperatures were in the -40 to -60 range.

Originally Posted by 69GTX
Snagglefoot said:
The forecast for Winnipeg on Tuesday night is -33 F. That's actually colder than on the planet Mars.
laugh.gif
50.gif

Not exactly. The "average" temp on Mars is around -81 deg F. That's far colder than Earth's average of 57 deg F. But you can probably find isolated spots on Mars that are warmer than the coldest parts of the Earth.

Might change my oil to 0w-0 to ensure a quick engine start.
19.gif

from Snagglefoot:

We do get weather reports from Mars. Here is the website.

https://mars.nasa.gov/msl/mission/instruments/environsensors/rems/

From the plot from the latest Sol (mars day) . High was 28 F. Low was 103 F. At one point, warmer than Winnipeg.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
-35F being called for here Tuesday night, had -38F last week. We usually get a week or so of this every year, people just deal with it and move on. If your home is older it's best to keep the water trickling on the really cold nights so nothing freezes in the walls or the laterals from the mains. Block heaters are nice but you can get by with a good battery and making sure to run your vehicle every day, make sure you're parking arrangements won't block others in if something doesn't start in the morning.

66ºF today with expected lows in the 50s. It's strange though. Just a week ago it was near freezing at night. I guess that's why they call it weather.

We have -30F in the forecast this week. All cars around here are run 50/50 antifreeze with protection down to -34F. I'm getting a bit uncomfortable how close those numbers are getting.

Some of you guys live on the wrong side of the Rockies! Its only 26 degree's Fahrenheit here 10:30pm. Polar vortex don't dare come on west side of the Rockies! 40F day time!

On second thought, looking up from lower Colorado, you guys live on the "Right" side of the Rockies...lol, I live on the "Better" side!

Tomorrow's air temps and windchill forecast for my area. My work car sits outside so it will be interesting to see how well it starts tomorrow morning.

Capture.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back