Recommended oil

Hello, I’m new here, so this question may have already been asked and answered. I have an original 1969 Chevelle Malibu with a inline 6, 230. It has not been rebuilt and has 75,000 miles on the clock. The manual calls for 10w40. What is the best oil to use? Conventional vs synthetic? Proper ZINC levels and/or additives? Thanks!

If you want a higher zddp oil, Mobil 1 0W-40 would work.

I am not certain that your car needs a high zddp oil though. Any reputable brand 10W-40 or 5W-40 would probably be ok.

I'm using Quaker State High Mileage 10W-40 in my '68 Barracuda. It's a synthetic blend, even though I've seen some information that some QS HM oils are about to be available in full synthetic. It's a SN rated 10W-40, which doesn't have the phosphorus and zinc limits that SN 10W-30 and lighter grades and all SP grades do. I hope they keep making it, as right now it's cheap and available.

6t9,
My guess is any available 10w40, either mineral or synthetic would serve your purposes well. My 1998 Volvo S70 non-turbo is fed a diet of either Formula Shell or Pennzoil YB, both in 10w40. No issues to speak of at all while doing 4K OCI's..If you feel you want the additional ZDDP protection, Castrol makes a 20w50 oil which is SJ rated with higher levels of ZDDP: This is from the Castrol USA website.

Features/Benefits:

• Specialized additives containing high Zinc and Phosphorus for extreme wear protection
  • Formulated to maintain tough and thick oil film even under severe conditions
  • Minimal foaming and high resistance to thermal degradation
  • Compatible with gasoline and alcohol based fuels

*NOT FOR USE IN MODERN ENGINES WITH CATALYTIC CONVERTERS OR WET CLUTCH APPLICATIONS​

Back