Recommended ATF for Prizm/Corolla

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wondering what the community recommends as the best ATF to use in a Chevy Prism/Toyota Corolla.

I discovered today that the oil seal on the right hand side of my transmission is leaking so that means I'll be fixing that soon and putting in new fluid. I had it flushed last summer and I know the mechanic used BG synthetic ATF which is a universal ATF. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with universal ATF's though and am considering switching to an ATF that's a little more specific in the applications it should be used in (such as Mobil 1 synthetic ATF). My Prism has the 3 speed transmission so the differential has a separate reservoir from the actual transmission thus I could even use a different ATF in each reservoir.

I'd like to stick with a synthetic ATF unless there are good reasons not too. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Synthetic in the transmission is a good idea. I heard good things about RedLine and personally use Amsoil ATF.

If you want something readily available over the counter, Mobil1 ATF will work also.

Use Synthetic ATF is your differential as well. I believe your Differential calls for ATF.

Either Mobil 1 synthetic ATF, or Amsoil ATF if you want to stick to synthetic ATF. Even Redline D4 should work fine for your Car.

Originally Posted By: J_Myler
If you have a leak you should try Valvoline maxlife atf. A plus is that's its a full synthetic.

Why not just solve the issue properly? He's getting the leak fixed.

well maxlife dex/merc is a full synthetic ATF at a fraction of the price of redline or amsoil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DanielinTheLions
Thanks all, it seems that Amsoil is the favorite. And by the way I thought maxlife was a synthetic blend?

Valvoline Maxlife is a full synthetic ATF.

There is nothing wrong with the BG ATF that you're using.

Mobil1, Maxlife, Amsoil... are also universal or multivehicle ATFs, so your discomfort with the word "universal" if hypocritical.

I just looked at the spec sheets and seems to me that "universal" is kind of an incorrect description. BG and Amsoil both specifically state that their "universal" ATF should not be used in Type F applications, Mobil 1 also states the Synthetic ATF should not be used in Type F application, and does not list +4 on the compatibility list (Amsoil and BG do). Seems to me that multi-vehicle is a better description of these ATFs than "universal."

Last edited:
First Redline will often fix a weeping seal that is in good mechanical shape just dry and hard. THe halfshaft seals are cheap though either OEM or from AutoZOne! When I put a used transmission in the wifes Buick I replaced the tc seal and both seals for the half shafts. To make sure you do not nick the seal lp putting the halfshaft back in I always lube the snot out of the splines and the end with vasoline like what you put on a babies bottom....Vasoline is used as an assembly lube on transmissions by trany shops all the time few of them actualy by the red specialty products for this. THe vasoline breaks down and will not cause any harm.

Make sure you have lots of light as this too helps to not nick the new seal. While I use all kinds of different brands of crankcase oils I am veryhard core about the use of Redline products for all transmissions,powersteering systems, diff.'s and t case's. I have seen them out class far more expensive and far better marketed products in real world use. Give the choice I will always go for all ester based gear lubes. A clean seal is a happy seal and nothing keeps them happier in my opinion then ester based lubricants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back