Recommendations for a Handheld Gas Blower

Out of the two you provided I would get Echo. Would not go for husky.
But if you could swing and maybe find gently used Stihl, it would be better. I currently have BG56c and PB250ln both are about 10 years old and Stihl runs smoother and a little better on fuel.

Echo or Stihl and only with an adjustable carburetor.

My Echo ES-210 is going on 16 years, using Amsoil 2 cycle oil and 89 octane E0 with a splash of Stabil. When I needed a new straight shaft trimmer, I went with Stihl since the comparable Echo did not have an adjustable carb. Both run well and have required very little maintenance.

I use the 40volt RYOBI RY40430 that I've had for over five and a half years on my smooth deck and driveway. But I need the extra power of my ECHO PB-225LN for the lawn.

I just sold my Stihl BG86. Terrible terrible blower. My parents have an older BG85 that ran circles around it. A previous boss had the same complaints as me and ended up getting a backpack blower instead.

I’ve often wondered about the Husqvarna 525BX and that would behave in comparison to my Stihl.

We only have Stihl and Husky dealers locally so I never considered an Echo.

Just saw a Stihl commercial on the ABC nightly news. They advertised a gas handheld blower for $20 off---$129.99.

Save $20 on the BG 50 Handheld Blower. Now Just $129.99. Was $149.99 BES-SRP.
Available only at participating retailers serviced by Bryan Equipment Sales in the states of IN, KY, MI (Lower Peninsula), OH, Middle and Western TN, and WV. Ask your retailer about eligibility in your area. Offer valid on purchases 3/1/23 through 6/30/23 while supplies last.

Just saw a Stihl commercial on the ABC nightly news. They advertised a gas handheld blower for $20 off---$129.99.

Save $20 on the BG 50 Handheld Blower. Now Just $129.99. Was $149.99 BES-SRP.
Available only at participating retailers serviced by Bryan Equipment Sales in the states of IN, KY, MI (Lower Peninsula), OH, Middle and Western TN, and WV. Ask your retailer about eligibility in your area. Offer valid on purchases 3/1/23 through 6/30/23 while supplies last.

I own a Stihl BG50.
I wouldn't wish one on my worst enemy.
It is hard starting. However it is passable once you get it going.
Have had it back twice, to get the "That's how they all are" speech.
I knew that I should have walked out when the first one out of the box wouldn't run at all, and they had to mess with the second to get it to run decently.
However, the Echo equipment that I have has been flawless
Echo all the way.

I own a Stihl BG50.
I wouldn't wish one on my worst enemy.
It is hard starting. However it is passable once you get it going.
Have had it back twice, to get the "That's how they all are" speech.
I knew that I should have walked out when the first one out of the box wouldn't run at all, and they had to mess with the second to get it to run decently.
However, the Echo equipment that I have has been flawless
Echo all the way.

Good to know.

I bought this Stihl about 8 years ago. It has a lot of power and It gets a lot of use. So far, no problems. Gas it up, two easy pulls and go!
20230424_154743.jpg

I am looking to get some recommendation for a handheld gas blower to quick clean up of decks, walk and driveway when I don't want to break out my backpack blower for bigger jobs . The handheld will probably get about 10-15 hrs/year use.

Two I am looking at are the Echo PB-2520 and Husky 125B at about $ 200. Both are consumer models and spec wise they are pretty close. Both have features removed from the similar "pro" versions : single piston ring, no chrome plated cylinder, cheaper carb, lower quality air filter, no rubber grip handle etc. If on-line reviews are any indication, looks like Husqvarna is having more of a share of problems with ignition coils and early wear out of piston rings.

Any one with experience with either of these or recommend something else?
I have a free Echo that I picked up off a curb, just needed new fuel lines and a carb replacement. It's the older version of the PB2520 - and I have the exact same use case as you describe. I have a backpack blower but it is inconvenient for small projects.

Seems like it has held up well over the years ... it's probably around ten years old. About 50 percent as powerful as my entry level Husky backpack blower. Would recommend.

You will be happier with the echo. The husky has a very nasty design flaw (I have fixed truckloads of them) where one or more of the crankcase bolts snaps off and the blower will instantly die. To fix requires the whole thing to be stripped down and new grade 8 studs with nuts installed.

Also the carbs have been cheapened up quite a bit.

Yes the echo is el cheap now too. But with good oil and maint will last 10+ yrs. if not more.

Also when you do need a fuel line and filter kit, it will only take 5 minutes to install / replace on the echo. The husky is much harder and requires the carb to come off as well as the air filter housing.

You will be happier with the echo. The husky has a very nasty design flaw (I have fixed truckloads of them) where one or more of the crankcase bolts snaps off and the blower will instantly die. To fix requires the whole thing to be stripped down and new grade 8 studs with nuts installed.

Also the carbs have been cheapened up quite a bit.

Yes the echo is el cheap now too. But with good oil and maint will last 10+ yrs. if not more.
Also when you do need a fuel line and filter kit, it will only take 5 minutes to install / replace on the echo. The husky is much harder and requires the carb to come off as well as the air filter housing.

I read user reviews on both these problems and thought something was up with the Husky design. Thanks for the info. I have also read piston rings are prone to premature wear. The one neg of the Echo is heard is the vibration, but I think I can deal with that.

I have a 13 yo Husky 150BT backpack that is still running great with typical maintenance. This was a rebadged 50 cc Redmax blower at the time. They don't make them like used to.

The vibration feels the same on all of the 125B's and the Echos.

And yes the ring on the Husky will stick to the piston and seize. I am not quite sure if it is the poor oil quality or the design but it is and was a very common failure on the ones I worked on.

I really like Husky saws and their commercial units, but their consumer line is utterly junk now.

Back