Recommendations for gas handheld blower

My 10 year old tiny 23cc Hitachi blower gave up on me yesterday after cleaning up the sidewalk and yard. Shut off fine but when I went to restart it had little compression. I’ll take off the muffler and check the piston soon. But I fear the worst.

I Was looking at the echo and STIHL offerings for gas handheld blowers any suggestions? I already have an ECHo trimmer and like the brand but I am open to others.

look at Badger leaf blowers,they are really built well ,they have commercial grade ones as well,,Echo is good along with Husqvarna,,sthils seem to start hard but perform well

The best hand held blower is a BR 600. What? You're saying it's not a hand held blower? Well I'll tell you what, it's so light weight and comfortable, you'll never want a hand held blower ever again. And did I mention how POWERFUL it is?

I'm pretty happy with my Honda HHB25UT - Not sure if you can get them in the states.

Otherwise, you can't go wrong with a Stihl - I'd be inclined to select a 4 stroke model so you breathe in less fumes.

How much blowing do you do at a time?

The battery powered leaf blowers are really quite good these days. No starting, no maintenance, no gasoline to be mixed or stored, just pull the trigger and go…

If the run time isn’t enough, then Stihl. Find a local dealer and support the small guy.

either the Echo or Stihl you mentioned are good choices. I have an older Stihl & it does the job, although I did have to replace the crappy Chinesium Zama carb this year.

I really like my in laws EGO cordless blower, for 75% of the time the battery run time would be a non issue but come fall, I’ll use the blower extensively. I am also already mixing fuel for the trimmer so I’ll stick with a 2 stroke, (40:1 or 50:1)…I still like the sound and smell, brings me back to my childhood MX bike days. I’m weirdo I know.

I have both STIHL and echo dealers nearby as I am in farm country, I’ll definitely buy from one of them.

I know backpacks have many advantages but my yard doesn’t justify it and they occupy too much space in my garage with the kids ever growing collection of stuff.

Some people get hung up on brands. Most major brands make what is considered homeowner grade and professional grade.
Stihl at least comes out and says homeowners or weekly on some items and prices them accordingly.

I have a Stilh trimmer. When I bought it, Stihl doubled the warranty if you bought a 6 pack of their oil at the time of purchase.

That hitachi is known for cracking gas lines..I'd check those.

otherwise just avoid hyperpower from walmart..I got one for 35$ on clearance.. and its worth about that much.
1st year started great
2nd year skip the choke and pump the bulb 15x and it starts on 2 pulls.
who knows what year 3 will bring.. but I use it for 5min a week is ok for $35

Most battery blowers wont get wet grass clippings off sidewalk.. they do fine for dryer or ones that werent run over by lawnmower wheels.

I have the 20v ryobi and it wasnt strong enough to get grass off my tractor mowing deck... its ok for blowing off the backyard patio/deck and grass on concrete that wasnt run over.
The ryobi is the 280cfm 120mph.

The 35$ hypertough is more like 150mph 280cfm.. works ok.

Leaf season I have an echo backpack blower the x-series pb-8010t.. you could propel yourself around a lake in a boat with it.

My recommendation would be either battery or gas but make sure its at least 125mph and near 300cfm.

although some manufacturers measure at the housing and not the discharge(end of tube) (Husqvarna) and inflate their numbers.

Dont expect a battery to last more than 10min on high.

HART 40-Volt Cordless Brushless Turbo Fan Blower Kit, (1) 4.0Ah Lithium-Ion Battery $99​

If you dont have other batteries this might be a good buy if your local walmart still has them in store they were $50 clearance.

For a gas blower I'd go echo. PB-2520

Most of the stihl are good but there is a dud or 2 right at the bottom of their lineup.. forget the model number(s).
Edit: BG 50? is the turd.
the bg 86 is great but $300
the BG 56 is outclassed by competitors.

Husq, the 125B you can get factory recon shipped to your house for 130+9.99 shipping
or 199 new.

Last edited:
I bought a little 25cc troy bilt at home depot on a big sale as an impulse buy to replace my corded blower for cleaning my shop floor. Hasn't given a single issue. Just checked online and it has the best reviews out of any hundred dollar blower which i can attest to. I use it about once every 2-3 weeks for about a half hour.

No compression? Likely stuck rings. Always use the manufacturers recommended oil for the fuel mixture.
I'd go for the ECHO as well.
Mine's going on 15 years old with only fuel line change (and priming bulb) due to ethanol gas.

Very pleased with the Stihl BG 86 blower I picked up about 8 years ago now. Recommend running highest octane your State sells mixed with the 2 cycle. I would purchase it all over again in a heartbeat.

Back