Recommendation (Oct/'85) Toyota Land Cruiser FJ60

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gregnash
The FJ series up to the FZJ80 (1996) was all based on the straight six chevy block. From there Mr. T added the V8 engine.

As for the HDEO DELO from Costco, it does not often get below 20* during the winter here but it does occasionally. Which is why I am thinking that a 10W30 may be a better bet. It is the end of October and this morning while riding to work it was 36*, so I have a feeling we are in for a cold winter.

yeah if you're going to go with the 10W-30, or 10W-40 HDEO, you can't go wrong with T5.... it's a great oil for many different applications (both PCMO and HDEO) and a really good value per quart, and there seem to be a lot of UOA's in various uses, supporting it's reputation.

I've been on this board on and off for about 7 years now, and seems like every few years, there's a fad motor oil which 95%+ of the BITOG'ers agree as being a great oil.
when I first joined it was obviously the old green/gummy bear smelling GC, then for a short while PP, then it seemed like for the longest while it was Maxlife (syn blen, full syn, any all grades, etc...etc...), and now it seems like that mantle has been handed to T5 (with M1 Ow-40 runing a close 2nd). Can't wait to see what's next

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hessam
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Originally Posted By: Nyati

Both my FJ40 and FJ62 Landcruisers were straight 6s not v6s.

So, too, was my buddy's mid-1990's land cruiser. Where does this v-6 comment come from? Were there different engines for different regions of the globe?

No that was my bad..I meant to straight I-6, not V6. Gregnash is correct.

There are some I-4 diesel variants of the mid-90's landcruiser in Asia, Europe, and parts of the middle-east, however... but they have shorter drive-train, than the regular I-6 landcruiser we got in the states (king of like the range rover LWB, and SWB versions they made for a few years during the mid-90's).

And if I remember correctly the shorter wheelbase landcruisers are called prado landcruisers.

Yeah you are thinking of the 3B engine which was sold in Canada as well and some have been imported to the US. There is also the 2H variant that is the 6cylinder version and came in a N/A version and a Turbo'd version.

The Prado is also know as the LJ or 70 series, just wish Mr. Toyota would bring a diesel over to the states, would LOVE to see a Sequoia, FJC, or Tundra Diesel. Most of the guys on the Mud Forums that do diesel swaps use the older Isuzu NPR Bread truck engines (4BD1-T or 4BD2-T), Toyota 1HDT/1HZ/2H/12H-T, or Cummins versions (3.3BT/4BT/6BT).

My dream will be to eventually swap a 6cylinder Toyota diesel into the cruiser. One day, one Day.

Originally Posted By: Hessam

No that was my bad..I meant to straight I-6, not V6. Gregnash is correct.

There are some I-4 diesel variants of the mid-90's landcruiser in Asia, Europe, and parts of the middle-east, however... but they have shorter drive-train, than the regular I-6 landcruiser we got in the states (king of like the range rover LWB, and SWB versions they made for a few years during the mid-90's).

And if I remember correctly the shorter wheelbase landcruisers are called prado landcruisers.

I've been on several safaris in Africa. The universal choice over there is the diesel I4 Landcruisers. They are built like tanks. If they were imported over here, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

IMGP4390_zps0e838a21.jpg

yeah I would love it if they (toyota) sold a diesel SOMETHING in the states. But for now I will have to dream of purchasing a front clip from a 1HD-T for my 60. Until then the good ole' 2F will have to suffice.

I've been on several safaris in Africa. The universal choice over there is the diesel I4 Landcruisers. They are built like tanks. If they were imported over here, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

[snip]

Except the 78 and 79 Series utes and cab-chassis (long wheelbase)as in the photo above used the 2H, 1HZ, 1HD, etc straight six diesels. (Current version here uses the 1VD V8 diesel)
The fours were only used in short wheelbase and medium wheelbase LC's AFAIK, or at least that's all they were ever used in here.

Prado's are 90 Series LC's.

Originally Posted By: tdi-rick

[snip]

Except the 78 and 79 Series utes and cab-chassis (long wheelbase)as in the photo above used the 2H, 1HZ, 1HD, etc straight six diesels. (Current version here uses the 1VD V8 diesel)
The fours were only used in short wheelbase and medium wheelbase LC's AFAIK, or at least that's all they were ever used in here.

Prado's are 90 Series LC's.

Canada and some other countries received the 3B naturally aspirated diesel which I believe is a 4-cylinder. Other than that most of the diesels produced by Toyota were 6-cylinder.

So Back on topic, I am thinking that my best bets at this point are going to be;
- Rotella T6
- Rotella T5
- Delo 400LE
These are the ones that seem to have the highest ZDDP% and the most readily available from most autoparts stores. Again, I refuse to enter a Wal-Mart for this stuff and would rather pay the higher price then support their corrupt employee dynamic.

gregnash I would also add Rotella T TP (aka Triple Protection), NOT their fleet Rotella T3 to you list.

your list:
So Back on topic, I am thinking that my best bets at this point are going to be;
- Rotella T6
- Rotella T5
- Delo 400LE
- Rotella T Triple Protection ---- (aside from wallmart, it's availabe at any Autozone, AAP, BJ's). AAP and BJ's prices pretty competitive to Walmart when they are on sale, or have manf. coupons.

Also I ran across this posting on CL today, looks like there are a few rare diesels floating around in the lower 48:

1986 Diesel LandCruiser
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/3358201496.html

Last edited:
Hey Hessam thanks for the info on the Rotella Triple.
And that is a nice find on the HJ60 in DC!!! For that price it is a steal if it runs well and the body is relatively rust free.
There are a few BJ and HJs that get down from Canada or are imported properly but it does not happen often. I would love to throw a 12H-T or 1HD-T in my cruiser some day but that would be $$$$$.

Not really sure about the why but can tell you these old straight 6s have TONS of low end torque, not fast and can be a bit rev happy in the upper ends but great, bulletproof engines. From what I have gathered after doing the desmog last weekend, these engines are pretty simplistic and straight-forward. Mr. Toyota just took a good design from Chevy and bettered it.

Toyoda built Chevy's under license in Japan before WWII, so was manufacturing the '30s era stovebolt six in Japan for cars and trucks. The war came and, of course, who cares about licenses then. After the war, they began building the engines again... based on that prewar design and gradually improved them from there. I've never heard if there were any licensing/patent issues with GM post-war but the Chevy six was in constant evolution and so was the Toyota six. They each evolved in slightly different directions, even though they were at the same point once in their respective histories.

BTW, as Toyota Guys, do you remember the major faux pas of the early '50s when Toyota called their newly minted BJ 4x4 the "Jeep?" Willys-Overland had a little to say over that, since they had fought so hard to acquire and hold that trademark.

LOL Jim... I did not know about the thing in the 50's that is a good piece of random information!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back