Recommend travel stops for western states

I'm leaving in a few days on a road trip to see some of the western states. Plan to run I-80 west from Iowa to Reno, NV, south to Vegas, Hoover Dam, Monument Valley, 1 stop in El Paso and then winding my way back up to SW Missouri(home).

Any places you would recommend I stop or things to see along any of these routes?

I would recommend driving down 395, just East of the gorgeous Sierra Nevadas, through Death Valley, on the way down to Vegas - although it could be HOT.

Driving through Arizona, you can check out the Grand Canyon. It does not look like they require a Timed Entry Permit like some other popular NatParks. If you decide not to deviate off I40, you can visit Meteor Crater and/or Petrified Forest (gates are closed after-hours I believe.)

After El Paso, you could take route 62 back to visit Guadalupe Mountains and Carlsbad Caverns but that also takes you on a very long-feeling drive back up route 285 through Roswell to i40. After you get back onto i40, IMO there really isn't anything to see except zip back home.

What kinds of things do you like? I live in Az and have been all over. You're going to put on a lot of miles connecting the dots you mentioned and there's no could, it is HOT and will be as far out as the forcast goes.

Carlsbad is neat... you can either hike in from the surface, or take an elevator down from the gift shop.

we Drove out from my brother's house near Ft.Worth in early June one year....it was already well over 100 degrees (with basically no humidity) when we made it as far as Midland/Odessa. thank goodness the AC in Mom's Taurus was, and still is exceptional.
we stayed at the Rodeway (Bedbug) inn in White's City (small tourist trap right outside the park.)
at that time, most of the Rooms within a 30 mi radius were Booked with Oil Field workers, and the better of the 2 eateries in "town" had been converted into a Haliburton Dining hall for said workers.

but the caverns and the park were nice. if you go, make sure to see the "bat show" when the thousands if not Millions of Bats come out of the Caverns at sunset to feed. they fly right over the little amphitheater the park service has built.

the only other thing i know along your trip is probably too close to home to be of interest.
just a Motel at which I liked to stay the night in Springfield, when going to visit my brother, when he still lived in Tx. now he's about 2 miles away.

On I-80, the Gateway Arch museum is well worth the visit, plus you can't miss it because you drive under it.

Personally, I would strongly consider taking I-80 to I-76 and go to Denver, then west on I-70 into Utah. I've done both I-80 and I-70 more than a few times and the scenery and National parks on the I-70 route is orders of magnitude better, my opinion of course. There are five national parks in Utah and each of them is amazing.

Last edited:
On I-80, the Gateway Arch museum is well worth the visit, plus you can't miss it because you drive under it.

Personally, I would strongly consider taking I-80 to I-76 and go to Denver, then west on I-70 into Utah. I've done both I-80 and I-70 more than a few times and the scenery and National parks on the I-70 route is orders of magnitude better, my opinion of course. There are five national parks in Utah and each of them is amazing.
That's a solid suggestion. I love Wyoming, but I-80 can't compare to the scenery of the Colorado Rockies and the Colorado Plateau. I-70 gives you the Mt. Evans road outside Denver, a bunch of little mountain towns in the high Rockies, Colorado National Monument outside Grand Junction, and then Coyote-Roadrunner land around Moab. Pick up the local weekly, the Zephyr, I think, if it's still being published. It will suggest a bunch of interesting spots in the area besides Arches and Canyonlands National Parks. Budget more time than you think you need in Utah if you take that route, though.

If you keep going across to Reno, you can detour off I-70 to go through Capitol Reef, and then pick up US 50 and follow in Shel B's tracks:
US 50 Across Nevada

If you stay on I-80 instead, I think the world's filthiest Burger King might be in in Kearney, NE. Out in the Panhandle, the first Cabela's store is in Sidney.

At the Wyoming border, the Pine Bluffs rest area has some nice trails you can walk to stretch your legs. I walked around there once in the dark to wake myself up. The rest area between Cheyenne and Laramie is built around the world famous Tree in the Rock.

On the salt flats of Western Utah, there might be cars running at Bonneville Speedway. You'll see activity at the speedway well before the exit. The Black Rock Desert could be a fun half-day detour from the Wadsworth exit before Reno. (See the US 50 thread.) Lake Tahoe is another good detour before you go south to Las Vegas. I'm not sure exactly what your route will be from there, but there are all sorts of interesting spots through Arizona and New Mexico. Stop at Cadillac Ranch if you go through Amarillo.

That's a solid suggestion. I love Wyoming, but I-80 can't compare to the scenery of the Colorado Rockies and the Colorado Plateau. I-70 gives you the Mt. Evans road outside Denver, a bunch of little mountain towns in the high Rockies, Colorado National Monument outside Grand Junction, and then Coyote-Roadrunner land around Moab. Pick up the local weekly, the Zephyr, I think, if it's still being published. It will suggest a bunch of interesting spots in the area besides Arches and Canyonlands National Parks. Budget more time than you think you need in Utah if you take that route, though.

If you keep going across to Reno, you can detour off I-70 to go through Capitol Reef, and then pick up US 50 and follow in Shel B's tracks:
US 50 Across Nevada

If you stay on I-80 instead, I think the world's filthiest Burger King might be in in Kearney, NE. Out in the Panhandle, the first Cabela's store is in Sidney.

At the Wyoming border, the Pine Bluffs rest area has some nice trails you can walk to stretch your legs. I walked around there once in the dark to wake myself up. The rest area between Cheyenne and Laramie is built around the world famous Tree in the Rock.

On the salt flats of Western Utah, there might be cars running at Bonneville Speedway. You'll see activity at the speedway well before the exit. The Black Rock Desert could be a fun half-day detour from the Wadsworth exit before Reno. (See the US 50 thread.) Lake Tahoe is another good detour before you go south to Las Vegas. I'm not sure exactly what your route will be from there, but there are all sorts of interesting spots through Arizona and New Mexico. Stop at Cadillac Ranch if you go through Amarillo.

If Kearney is on the itinerary, Cunningham’s Journal on the Lake is a decent restaurant with outdoor seating and a great bar with huge beer selection. You can see it from I80.

It will suggest a bunch of interesting spots in the area besides Arches and Canyonlands National Parks.
Dead Horse Point is an absolute must.

detour north to see mount rushmore in sd, watching the hitchcock classic “north by northwest” first and stopping at wall’s drugs on the way.

I'm leaving in a few days on a road trip to see some of the western states. Plan to run I-80 west from Iowa to Reno, NV, south to Vegas, Hoover Dam, Monument Valley, 1 stop in El Paso and then winding my way back up to SW Missouri(home).

Any places you would recommend I stop or things to see along any of these routes?
If you can swing through las Cruces NM there is a great space museum, you'll be not too far from one of two (both are next door to each other) pistachio farms tour and store. Very interesting. If ylu have time my dad and I stumbled across this place

Ranchway BBQ & Mexican Food​

The most odd combination but large portions and really a great place to eat

Definitely hit pikes peak cog rail. They just reopened their service last year with a new visitor center and rail cars. The owners of one of the local hotels donated a large sum. If you want a souvenir ask for a used cog. I snagged one last year. Been meaning to make a table with it. I've been up three times. Garden of the gods is cool albeit a little more xeriscaped than when I was a kid.

I would go along I-70, maybe swing by KCMO for BBQ, all the way to the Denver area, then all the way to the end and then hit I-15 north to the SLC, UT area, then you can head west on I-80 to Reno.

On the way to I-15, you can make a detour towards the Moab and Arches NP (requires reservation though)

In the Grand Canyon area, you can also go to Horseshoe Bend as well.

I would go along I-70, maybe swing by KCMO for BBQ, all the way to the Denver area, then all the way to the end and then hit I-15 north to the SLC, UT area, then you can head west on I-80 to Reno.

On the way to I-15, you can make a detour towards the Moab and Arches NP (requires reservation though)

In the Grand Canyon area, you can also go to Horseshoe Bend as well.
I'll be staying on 80 for business in Davenport IA is the reason for taking that route west, plus I've never seen it past the western Iowa line

Back