San Joaquin Valley, Agriculture, Water, and California

Bakers field and Redding California are the armpits of California.

It’s a long ways to drive past Redding down to Chico. I’m not sure that’s a improvement though I’ve never been there. Maybe it is?

Stayed in Redding a couple of times back in the 90’s and early 00’s. Seemed okay.

California is beautiful until you get to the cities.

If you drive on the I-5 in SoCal, north of Grapevine, you'll see a lot of signs pissed off at Gov Newsom, about wasting all the water, instead of allocating to farms, and building more dams to capturing water for farms.
Well, you are driving through farmland and obviously they want to do everything they can to steer votes. They are not wrong but that's not the point. I'm sure if you drive through river deltas or park in front of a white water rafting company you will see the EXACT OPPOSITE signs there as well.

Well, you are driving through farmland and obviously they want to do everything they can to steer votes. They are not wrong but that's not the point. I'm sure if you drive through river deltas or park in front of a white water rafting company you will see the EXACT OPPOSITE signs there as well.
You don't see those signs over there. Those residents and business owners are not exactly city folk either.

I got mine from Trader Joe's for like $5.60-6.50 a gallon (forgot). Where you got yours from?
Ralph's, Costco, Walmart, Sam's Club, Aldi, Sprouts. Wife shops, and always moves to the lowest-cost store. $4 per half-gal is currently the lowest price she can find.

Yep, in '74 I made the drive on Hwy 99 from Sacramento to LA round trip twice a month for much of the year. Nice towns. Two years ago I made the same trip and stopped for gas in Fresno. I've been in a lot of third world countries that looked better, and few that looked worse. I was shocked.

I like the humor you put in the comment, but agricultural is always and will always be full of politics around the world, and often for good reasons.
I am the kind of person that will ask people how things work and what I found out is that most of the time people are happy to explain and show you their stuff. The Dairy operations are big business . Lots of labor lots of huge machines and buildings . Agriculture is amazing . It is like most business' amazing.

Speaking of Hwy 99, is anyone here old enough to remember when I-5 first opened? I used to drive 200 miles in the middle of the night just to make a few 4 or 5 mile long top speed runs. Not a car in sight for miles.

Scott

Yeah, Stockton doesn't have a whole lot going for it.

Go back in time, Hwy 99 through California was the "golden highway". There was a time this entire region was prosperous and livable.

Scott
Gangs and druggies and the political class have destroyed the great State of California. California has so much to offer. I used to live in San Bruno California and would go to Lake Berryessa water ski and would see people going to the snow ski while I was going to water Ski. in 2,000 I moved to Palo Cedro California which was east of Redding I liked it, though Redding was an arm pit full of meth heads and released convicts . After my mom died the wife wanted to move to Idaho so here we are.

Last edited:
Speaking of Hwy 99, is anyone here old enough to remember when Hwy 5 first opened? I used to drive 200 miles in the middle of the night just to make a few 4 or 5 mile long top speed runs. Not a car in sight for miles.

Scott
I remember very well when I 5 first opened and there was a sign that said no services for 200 miles. 80 mph was driving economically !

Won't it make more sense for CA to pipe in more water from the northern part of the state or from the other 'Blue Axis' states of OR and WA ?
That is where a huge portion of the water comes from. The central valley water project and it ships water to Los Angeles as well you can see the pipes that move the water over the grape vine hill.

I remember very well when I 5 first opened and there was a sign that said no services for 200 miles. 80 mph was driving economically !
Yes indeed. At the time I remember thinking it was ridiculous that a highway would be built in the middle of NOWHERE like that.

I've been on it a couple of times recently on trips to LA. It's stressful driving that road now. Lots of traffic and lane changing as people dart in and out, trying to make time. Unless you tailgate someone just 10 feet back (at 75mph) you'll have a stream of cars cut in front of you.

Scott

Gangs and druggies and the political class have destroyed the great State of California. California has so much to offer. I used to live in San Bruno California and would go to Lake Berryessa water ski and would see people going to the snow ski while I was going to water Ski. in 2,000 I moved to Palo Cedro California which was east of Redding I liked it, though Redding was an arm pit full of meth heads and released convicts . After my mom died the wife wanted to move to Idaho so here we are.
Those were the days, wpod. I grew up in Los Gatos, when Los Gatos was kind of podunk. Although not our property, my backyard was an apricot orchard. As 9 or 10 year olds (the very early '60s) my friends and I used to play war in that orchard. If kids played war now days, imagine what people would think.

Scott

Last edited:
Speaking of Hwy 99, is anyone here old enough to remember when I-5 first opened? I used to drive 200 miles in the middle of the night just to make a few 4 or 5 mile long top speed runs. Not a car in sight for miles.

Scott

When I was younger and going to grade school we watched Interstate 5 being built behind the school. For years the giant earthmovers were at work removing a hill of homes and finally putting in the freeway.

We made several trips to Portland from Tacoma to visit relatives. That trip took a long time as the old US99 went through every town along the way. It was definitely one of those “are we there yet” trips. Now that same trip takes a couple of hours on a good traffic day. We can head down in the morning, shop and have lunch and be back by supper time if traffic is okay.

I am the kind of person that will ask people how things work and what I found out is that most of the time people are happy to explain and show you their stuff. The Dairy operations are big business . Lots of labor lots of huge machines and buildings . Agriculture is amazing . It is like most business' amazing.
Currently I'm doing a friend a favor by avoiding that subject publically. I would be happy to talk in messages.

Back