Highway 50 thru Nevada

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
What are some interesting places to see and explore along Highway 50 in Nevada? It's been many years since I've traveled that road and I'd like to do it again before summer.

Was once on a deployment with USMC enroute to NAS Fallon, Nevada. The bus stopped at the Chicken Ranch near Parumph so the marines could stretch out for a few minutes. Fourty randy marines and about ten comely young ladies had multiple very entertaining confabs. Hwy 50 is so desolate that even the jackalopes out there carry sack lunches but there are a few interesting things to see.

Highly recommended.

1683636829100.jpeg

courtesy Nevada Independent

I've been through Nevada before, but never on US-50. I've heard it called the "loneliest road in America" a few times.

I would love to see it someday, and I'm interested in what others have to say about it.

I've been through Nevada before, but never on US-50. I've heard it called the "loneliest road in America" a few times.

I would love to see it someday, and I'm interested in what others have to say about it.
That’s because it IS the loneliest road in America.

Heading East out of Fallon, when you see the sign that says, “no gas next 160 miles” that is a fact. Make sure you fill up in Fallon. No gas, no towns, no cell service.

Also, watch for low flying jets…

I have driven it a handful of times. Enjoyable run if one likes tranquility.

That would be an excellent multi-day trip. I first drove the length of it around 1995. Omitting the Reno/Carson area, my rough calculation of population along its length was about 10,000 back then. I drove it again ten years later when I lived in Reno.

In this case, the drive really is the destination, but there are several spots to visit right off the road. Watch for state and BLM signs about landmarks and historical areas. That was a Pony Express route, so I know there are some sites about that.

Some I remember, from west to east:

--Grimes Point petroglyphs. Right off the highway, and you can walk among boulders marked with petroglyphs.

--Somewhere east of Fallon you could drive to an earthquake fault. (That might not mean much to you as a Californian.) The road was a little too rough for my old Duster when I tried it in 1995, so I turned around.

--Sand Mountain, also near Fallon

--Just outside of Austin, I think, was an old cemetery with wooden grave markers.

--Hickison Petroglyph area. Good place for a short walk. Depending on the time of day, you might find a little shade there.

--I highly recommend Great Basin National Park. There's a cave at the bottom, and ancient bristlecone pines at the top. It also has Nevada's only glacier.

--I remember a gas station that was bisected by the NV/UT state line, with slot machines on the Nevada side of the building.

That would be an excellent multi-day trip. I first drove the length of it around 1995. Omitting the Reno/Carson area, my rough calculation of population along its length was about 10,000 back then. I drove it again ten years later when I lived in Reno.

In this case, the drive really is the destination, but there are several spots to visit right off the road. Watch for state and BLM signs about landmarks and historical areas. That was a Pony Express route, so I know there are some sites about that.

--Grimes Point petroglyphs. Right off the highway, and you can walk among boulders marked with petroglyphs.

--Somewhere east of Fallon you could drive to an earthquake fault. (That might not mean much to you as a Californian.) The road was a little too rough for my old Duster when I tried it in 1995, so I turned around.

--Just outside of Austin, I think, was an old cemetery with wooden grave markers.

--Hickison Petroglyph area. Good place for a short walk. Depending on the time of day, you might find a little shade there.

--I highly recommend Great Basin National Park. There's a cave at the bottom, and ancient bristlecone pines at the top. It also has Nevada's only glacier.

--I remember a gas station that was bisected by the NV/UT state line, with slot machines on the Nevada side of the building.
RM,

You posted "old cemetery with wooden grave markers."

Old cemeteries are often a very rewarding visit while on a road trip. Lots of information from the region and the time can be found on older gravestones, etc. Looking at how many babies died can be eye opening (very sad), and also how short life was for so many. I recall reading gravestones in the UP of Michigan a few decades ago. So many of the gravestones discussed death in the mine, etc.

When we lived in Pillow, PA (population 200), we would visit the cemetery on Cemetary Hill road. So many markers from the 1700s, was quite a education on the history of America in the 1700s- just from visiting a cemetery.

That’s because it IS the loneliest road in America.

Heading East out of Fallon, when you see the sign that says, “no gas next 160 miles” that is a fact. Make sure you fill up in Fallon. No gas, no towns, no cell service.

Also, watch for low flying jets…
Good to know ... thanks!

I drove it in 1967 going east to west, then again in 1988 going west to east, and finally a partial trip in 1992-93 as an adjunct to a trip to the Lake Tahoe area.

I recall seeing and stopping at, "The Loneliest Phone Booth in America" near the Sand Mountain Recreation Area.

There are several cemeteries in the Austin area, one going back to Civil War times. Thanks for the reminder. I like exploring cemeteries.

I wasn't aware of the petroglyphs. Good info. And I've not visited Great Basin National Park, so thanks for that information.

There's a series on Amazon called Backroads USA, and Episode #4 is about traveling Highway 50. I started watching it a while ago and will finish it before I leave.

Last edited:
About 20 years ago I took a 2 week motorcycle trip from Minnesota to Colorado, Utah and Wyoming to visit a few National Parks and the lonliest road I was on was I70 west from Green River Utah to Salina. The sign coming into Green River said something like no gas for 110 miles. I figured no worries since my bike could go at least 160 before I hit reserves. I forgot about the elevation change (duh). Rolled into Salina on fumes.

About 20 years ago I took a 2 week motorcycle trip from Minnesota to Colorado, Utah and Wyoming to visit a few National Parks and the lonliest road I was on was I70 west from Green River Utah to Salina. The sign coming into Green River said something like no gas for 110 miles. I figured no worries since my bike could go at least 160 before I hit reserves. I forgot about the elevation change (duh). Rolled into Salina on fumes.
Yea-it's the wide open spaces in the West that many East of the Mississippi have never experienced. I have traveled extensively through the South and East Coast. Once you cross the Mississippi there is really no "middle of no where" .

RM,

You posted "old cemetery with wooden grave markers."

Old cemeteries are often a very rewarding visit while on a road trip.
Over the years I've visited numerous cemeteries. One of my earlier visits was to Boothill in Tombstone, AZ. I was surprised at how segregated it was, with separate sections for blacks, Jews, and Chinese. When I was there, flowers were still being placed on Billy Clanton's grave.

Reactions: GON
Yea-it's the wide open spaces in the West that many East of the Mississippi have never experienced. I have traveled extensively through the South and East Coast. Once you cross the Mississippi there is really no "middle of no where" .
This is the "middle of Nowhere"

1683651851387.jpeg

Reactions: CKN
Ely has a railroad museum.
Austin is a neat little town.
Although not on 50, Berlin ghost town is definitely worth a visit.
Also, Virginia City.
The ghost town sounds great. I'll definitely look into it. Places like that often provide interesting photo opportunities. I'll be stopping at Austin, and I've recently visited Virginia City. for the suggestions.

Lehmann Caves. A little detour is required. Berlin has ichthyosaur fossils on display.
Detours are fine, Berlin and the fossils are on the itinerary. Thanks for jumping in.

Shel, I just thought of a detour that could take most of a day. I assume you'll be coming from the Bay Area on I-80. Instead of getting on US 50 at Fernley, take the exit just before, toward Wadsworth and Pyramid Lake.

Highway 447 will take you up to Nixon, where the Pyramid Lake Museum and Visitors Center is worth a look.

Then continue up 447 to Gerlach. The Black Rock Desert is north of town. You can drive your Camry out on the playa if it hasn't been wet recently, and visit Dooby Lane, against the mountains at the west side of the playa.

Planet X Pottery is northwest of town on 447. That's an interesting place to find a gift for your lady friend, or just to look around.

That is one of the "loneliest" corners of the entire U.S. It would be a great place to see the stars.

Back