Recommend me an air compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.
The IR you linked is super nice, but its probably massive overkill for the kind of usage you're talking about. Also, being a 30-gallon, its HUGE. My current 220V 5-horse 2-cylinder compressor has a 30 gallon tank on wheels just like that and it barely counts as portable.

If I were you I'd look at something in the 10-gallon range (unless you need sustained use of a grinder or cut-off wheel- see below). I've been surprised how long my old Campbell-Hausfeld oilless 2-horse compressor has lasted (its older than my daughter, and she's 22). Its gotten periods of very heavy use, then idle periods rather than a constant "couple times a week" use, but on average its on the scale of "couple times a week." I probably should retire it just based on the age of the tank, but the last time I pulled the inspection plug it still looked solid.

Poking around now, I see that you can get oil-lubed compressors in a similar tank size (8-10 gallon) and price range. This linked one looks decent for your usage, the most demanding thing you mentioned is the cutoff wheel. My similar compressor can run a cutoff wheel for about 2-3 minutes continuous before the pressure drops too low, and this one's rating is about the same. The IR you linked could run a cutoff pretty much indefnintely, but do you really need that for an additional $500? Your call.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Campbell-Haus..._-203009746-_-N

Last edited:
I don't think 30 gallons is big. I have a 33 gal craftsman and it will only power an air ratchet for about 15 seconds before it cycles on. Personally, I don't want to listen to an air compressor run the whole time I'm working on something. For what you're using it for the size is perfect imo. Plus the belt drive will probably pump more than my pos oil free craftsman.

Originally Posted By: cdm1993
Appreciate the feedback. Not too familiar with compressors. At what point would you go from a 3/8in hose to a 1/2in.

Only if I were running high-speed tools (cut-off wheel, angle grinder) for long periods and through more than 15-20 feet of hose.

Paint guns are another case where big hose would help, because you normally want a relatively low pressure at your regulator and no pressure loss down the hose. Tools can tolerate more flow restriction down the hose because you're usually running higher pressure at the regulator.

Need an air compressor. It must be a 115 volt because I cannot wire in a 230 where I am living. It would be for home use and would not see daily action. I would probably use it about twice a week running an impact, cutoff, or just compressed air use. I was thinking about this Ingersoll Rand: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200339041_200339041

Would like to get your thoughts. Thanks.

Looks like ok unit might run continually with cutoff wheel I personally wouldn't go smaller and is to small for any serious work don't let anyone tell you it's plenty of air.

Appreciate the feedback. Not too familiar with compressors. At what point would you go from a 3/8in hose to a 1/2in.

Never with that unit.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I don't think 30 gallons is big. I have a 33 gal craftsman and it will only power an air ratchet for about 15 seconds before it cycles on.

Really? I can remove 3 5-lug tires before my 30-gallon kicks on partway through the 4th wheel (assuming it was near peak pressure when I started). My little 11 gallon does indeed run a lot more (and oilless is LOUD compared to oiled), but the added portability and low cost are nice. Also, if you're on 110v and limited to < 2 horsepower, you have to remember that its going to be many minutes of running before that small a compressor can bring a 30+ gallon tank up to working pressure. It may cycle less, but the cycles are going to be LOOOOONGGG.

You can't have too big of a tank. If I had to use a smaller compressor, I would hook it up to a used/discarded 60 to 80 gallon tank. That would give you a lot of reserve power, and help keep moisture to a minimum with more cooling.

Last edited:
Need an air compressor. It must be a 115 volt because I cannot wire in a 230 where I am living. It would be for home use and would not see daily action. I would probably use it about twice a week running an impact, cutoff, or just compressed air use. I was thinking about this Ingersoll Rand: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200339041_200339041

Don't count out cordless impacts, etc. For the shadetree mechanic they may be the better choice. I seldom use my pneumatic impact. The cordless is easier and I do work outside on stuff where a cordless is less setup hassle.

A 30 gallon 115 v unit is way too small for a cutoff wheel. A 60 gallon single stage is working hard if the tool is being used for any length of time.
Cutoffs, HVLP spray guns, sand blasters, etc need a lot of air and a lot of air volume, for these tools an 80+ gallon 5+ HP 2 stage is best.

Impacts and air ratchets are not too bad, they have a short duty cycle.

You can make a relatively low power compressor do a lot of work if you just insure it's got a good storage facility.

Look into buying a larger tank, or add a storage tank to whatever you do get. They are the lighter part of a typical compressor setup and don't really cost that much either, compared to the compressor itself.

With 120V/15A, you are pretty much limited to 5 HP (no matter what the spec claims).

If you own the property where it will be installed, you can also look at distributing the air around the shop with black pipe and it's relatively simple to incorporate water and oil filtration into the system. Minimizing hose length is tidy and efficient as hose tends to reduce available pressure (leaks, inside diameter affecting pressure, etc).

But every inch of distributing pipe is also additional storage, and it adds up pretty quick. A little rattle-can paint seals up pipe very well and looks the part.

With compressors the bigger the better. A 1/2 impact probably uses 4.6 CFM. That compressor you posted will most likely disappoint you.

Originally Posted By: CT8
With compressors the bigger the better. A 1/2 impact probably uses 4.6 CFM. That compressor you posted will most likely disappoint you.

A 30 gallon compressor run an impact no problem. The issue will be with a cutoff wheel. Or any other tool that needs a sustained high volume of airflow.

Look for a used compressor on CL/Kijiji for much less. If you get a good deal and you no longer want the used compressor you should be able to sell it for close to what you paid for it. I picked up a 26 gallon Coleman oilless compressor for $80. I'd love a larger tank, but it works for impact wrenches and what I need.

The other option would be the 21 gallon compressor at Harbor Freight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back