Impact wrench and air compressor

I have an older version of this one. It was my first (of now many) 20v Dewalt tool. The batteries have very little discharge. I too got it for putting on and taking off snow tires, on two cars. Worth the investment imho considering I used to use a breaker bar.
Thank you but I don't think I'm ready to invest that much.. but I do appreciate it..

Why not just use a regular tire iron if you are only using it twice a year?
Because I have COPD and asthma, also spinal stenosis, but I do like doing things for myself when I can. But I don't want to cripple myself.. and I can't stand my electric one.. and I just think $300, when my battery is going to die.. when sitting in the garage, all year. Pointless, personally.. when I could spend $100, on air operated..

Because I have COPD and asthma, also spinal stenosis, but I do like doing things for myself when I can. But I don't want to cripple myself.. and I can't stand my electric one.. and I just think $300, when my battery is going to die.. when sitting in the garage, all year. Pointless, personally.. when I could spend $100, on air operated..
For what it is worth - I've got a couple of 5-6 year old Dewalt 4AH batteries that sit on the charger for 90% of the year that still power my 1/2" impact wrench perfectly fine for a good while (I've done 2 full tire rotations on one pack and only lost 1 bar of power). The batteries are more resistant to abuse than you might think.

For what it is worth - I've got a couple of 5-6 year old Dewalt 4AH batteries that sit on the charger for 90% of the year that still power my 1/2" impact wrench perfectly fine for a good while (I've done 2 full tire rotations on one pack and only lost 1 bar of power). The batteries are more resistant to abuse than you might think.
Oh wow 😮

Got it. The battery tools aren't that bad with the lithium batteries. They last a lot longer than the old NIMH or NICAD batteries. They don't go dead as easy and will last for years with light use. I bet they would work after sitting for months or only need a light charge if any at all. Maybe find a brand that has other tools you could use where you could share the battery. I have Dewalt and share batteries with drills, lights, lawn equipment. etc.

Yeah it surprised me as well. LOL.
Got it. The battery tools aren't that bad with the lithium batteries. They last a lot longer than the old NIMH or NICAD batteries. They don't go dead as easy and will last for years with light use. I bet they would work after sitting for months or only need a light charge if any at all. Maybe find a brand that has other tools you could use where you could share the battery. I have Dewalt and share batteries with drills, lights, lawn equipment. etc.
Yeah this was what I ended up doing. I've got a bunch of DeWalt 20V tools now. Problem is that I need more batteries because my wife will want to weed eat while I work on cars.

Why not just use a regular tire iron if you are only using it twice a year?
An impact wrench will take a lug nut or lug (if German car) off in a couple seconds. Maybe it's a first world problem lol but it really helps when a person is jacking up one wheel at a time, and for me, 2 cars. I have always looked at these expenses as an unplanned lunch out with the family times 3, or unplanned dinner times 2 (back in 2018) covers the tool. Today, the break-even is less as the restaurants have gone up more than the tool has...What I'm saying is we go out to eat sometimes whimsically or last minute real-time decision, it's ok to treat ourselves to tools. If you're like me, even tools I don't need (but others here do the same). :giggle:

Yeah this was what I ended up doing. I've got a bunch of DeWalt 20V tools now. Problem is that I need more batteries because my wife will want to weed eat while I work on cars.
I bought most of mine at a local Bomgaars farm and fleet store that unusually runs sales where they give you a battery with the tools purchase. They work great for me and could probably get rid of my compressor because it is used as an air blower now. My son has a Dewalt tire inflator that gets used for most tire duty since it is easier unless you need to fill a complete empty tire

I bought most of mine at a local Bomgaars farm and fleet store that unusually runs sales where they give you a battery with the tools purchase. They work great for me and could probably get rid of my compressor because it is used as an air blower now. My son has a Dewalt tire inflator that gets used for most tire duty since it is easier unless you need to fill a complete empty tire
I need to do that as far as getting batteries. I do have a 6 gallon compressor that is used as an inflator just because I like how fast it can inflate a tire once the tank is above 90PSI.

I have the cheap red electric one from Harbor. I initially bought it to replace blades and spindles on my rider, but it does lug nuts and every other thing I put it on with ease. You can get the cheap one for like 40 bucks, maybe less. And you can buy the lug nut socket for another $5. Would I try to make a living with it? No. I also don't have to wait on air.

EDIT: - I see you already have an electric. NM......

Last edited:
I’m going to also put in a recommendation for the Earthquake XT. I even still dig mine out at work for stuff that’s really tight sometimes. It’s great I got mine when they first came out so I can imagine it is only better now. Plus they are available in different colors now too which to me is a plus haha.

I need to do that as far as getting batteries. I do have a 6 gallon compressor that is used as an inflator just because I like how fast it can inflate a tire once the tank is above 90PSI.
Or seat a bead. My lawn tractor rolled a tire off the bead, and my Makita inflator did nadda. Hooked it up to my compressor, it barely had a few psi in it, but it quickly seated that. [I've done car tires with it, sans valve core. 92% sure no battery operated tool will seat a car tire bead!]

But these days my air compressor gets used once a year, just to blow out the sprinkler lines.

Don't overlook the Ridgid R86012 Mid Torque with a 4 Ah battery(s} with lifetime replacement and lifetime service plan on the tools.
Ample little Impact though, I have it.
As an example,
look at direct tools outlet
too, because them and Home Depot are authorized sellers of Ridgid, (Needed to register Rigid tools} But like I already had the batteries and charger and the High Torque Impact, so I got the mid-torque bare tool only, for like $90.00 out the door from Ebay, and brought Ebay's extended warranty for like $6.00!

I'm actually thinking about going with the Kobalt I saw pretty good reviews on it on YouTube for the price point it's at, comes in a kit, normally it's $230. Right now it's on sale for $149. I didn't like dragging an electrical cord around with my electric one, and I'm probably not going to like dragging an air hose either.. and I really like the features, of some of these, cordless air impacts. Thank you so much everybody I really appreciate it..

You can't beat the Kobalt @ normally $230 on sale for $149!
I've heard good things about it~
normally it's $230. Right now it's on sale for $149. I didn't like dragging an electrical cord around with my electric one, and I'm probably not going to like dragging an air hose either.. and I really like the features, of some of these, cordless air impacts

Not happy with many Vevor products. Harbor Freight Earthquake served me well for many years before I upgraded to a M18 stubby impacts, and now my air compressor only blows air to clean chainsaws or whatever I need to blow air on.

If i wanted another air unit, this compact one is really nice at $80 and 1000lbs

Back